WGC Open Design Comparison

Old August 20th 12, 11:40 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nadler View Post
On Monday, August 20, 2012 2:09:57 PM UTC-4, Gary Osoba wrote:
With all the drama in the 2012 WGC Open Class, here's how the various

designs compared by total average points, followed by the total number

of ships flown through the end of the contest (for calculating

statistical variance):

11427 JS-1C (4)

11316 Concordia (1)

11240 EB-29 (2)

11089 Quintus (7)

11069 Antares 23 (1)

10339 Nimbus 4 (2)

9977 EB-28 (4)

8962 ASH-25 (1) Another damaged and withdrew

7631 ASW-22BL

I did not include powered models as separate designs since the ships

were all in high ballast most of the contest. Obviously, designs with

only 1 or 2 gliders in the contest can vary statistically much more,

i.e. it might not be a good idea to bet against 4 or 5 Concordia's.

The Antares 23 and Quintus share the same wing, and should be very

similar in performance. Pilots in the top two designs above were

essentially learning to fly them during the contest, and that may be

true for several of the other pilot/ship combinations. I did not have

the opportunity to speak with many of the pilots.

The numbers are for this contest only, and its conditions, flown by

the respective pilots, etc., etc. Further disclaimer- I do not have an

affiliation with any of the makers, nor have I owned a glider produced

by any of them. Just the numbers.

An interesting design revolution is going on here. Feel free to

correct if I got anything wrong.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba

Were all the JS-1 flown in open class the new "C"
stretch model, or were some of them "B" 18-meter ?
Score-sheet shows some B models IIRC ?

See ya, Dave
Sorry, this is a bit off topic of design...

I am not a competition pilot so my question are out of total ignorance...please forgive. I enjoyed following the 2012 WGC online very much.

The one thing I notice as the days progressed was that it seemed, and totally anecdotal of course, was that pilots from the same country finished very close to each other. Could it be that team flying techniques are more refined outside the U.S.?...thus giving the advantage of having at least two ships, instead of one, finding/utilizing the best lift lines to the benefit of the team. Is that sort of thing common practice in these sorts of contests? Do the U.S. pilots get a chance to develop their team flying skills?

Brad.
Old August 21st 12, 05:59 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

[quote=François Hersen;821806]An another view, just for the first place in open class;

Quintus; 2
EB29; 3
JS1 C; 3
Antares; 3
Concirdia; 1

In strong conditions, 23 meters gliders have an avantage,

RC

snip

The Concordia won 2 days and the EB29 is 25.3m span in its shortest configuration.

As noted elsewhere the JS1's were 21m span

Colin
Old August 21st 12, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

Default WGC Open Design Comparison

--

Brad Alston

The glider models designations for the JS-1's are accurate on the score sheets. Exact gliders models were listed after Leo submitted to scoring the correct designation. For open they are listed JS1-C and 18 meter are JS-1B.

Ron Gleason
Old August 21st 12, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Dave Nadler;821793 Wrote:

[...]

Just to be clear, a JS-1C does not mean 21m, they can fly with 18m wings as well. The C is basically the stronger wing to allow the 21m option. It would be nice to use nomeclature that make the span perfectly clear, like JS-1C-18m, JS-1C-21m etc.

Darryl
Old August 21st 12, 07:27 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cochrane[_2_] View Post
On Aug 20, 1:09*pm, Gary Osoba wrote:[color=blue][i]

snip

Another point to remember. The new designs represent reaction to a
change in rules, not a change in technology. The open class isn't the
"open" class, it's the 850 kg class. What's happening is the design
response to 850 kg. To achieve a modern wingloading at 850 kg, you
need shorter (than 28 meters) span or shorter chord. Concordia went
one way, but in a design that could never be mass marketed. The 23 m
span seems an optimum for 850 kg, "normal" construction techniques,
and a price under a million bucks. But if there were not a weight
limit, the winning design might well look more like an Eta, cost as
much as a B2 bomber and fly at 1500 kg. And have a production run of
about two. I'm not advocating it -- for once I think the IGC did
something right, as 850 seems to be revitalizing the open class.

John Cochrane
I was exchanging emails with Michael Sommer before the worlds and he was wondering how competitive the EB29 would be at 'only' 55kg wingloading against the newer ships.

Based on his result you would have to say it was very competitve. How much of that is down to his undoubted ability is for better men than me to ponder

:-) Colin
Old August 21st 12, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

Hi Brad

You are correct, Europeans are mostly flying as Teams. There was an interesting
article about this by Ms Tarberry on the Main Competition Website and also the same on the US Blog.
Old August 21st 12, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

It is well-known that the US scores high on cultural scales of individualism, especially compared with Europe, and even in team games scores each individual competitor. Team flying is seen as one notch away from communism and will never happen here in contests. That's why the Europeans often win!

Mike
Old August 21st 12, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

[...]

look the open class score sheets, it states JS-1C 21. I entered the data myself when Leo requested the change.
Old August 21st 12, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Aug 21, 7:54*am, Mike the Strike wrote:
It is well-known that the US scores high on cultural scales of individualism, especially compared with Europe, and even in team games scores each individual competitor. *Team flying is seen as one notch away from communism and will never happen here in contests. *That's why the Europeans often win!

Mike

Cultural explanations are too easy. US pilots will do what it takes to
win. The US team has put huge effort in to team flying in the past
three years. Look at the start times. OK, no great results this time
around, but that's not from some cultural aversion to team flying.

The US has rules against team flying in our national contests. These
were put in many years ago, not in praise of "individualism" but
because it was felt that the presence of teams of top pilots would
discourage "little guy" participation. That issue is constantly under
review, and will be on the upcoming pilot opinion poll. Again. If US
pilots want to team fly, just say so loudly on the opinion poll. It
will happen as soon as pilots want it. (Especially if the "little
guys" write in and say this won't discourage them) I actually think
team flying is a lot of fun, and might encourage people to come to
contests. But we have to hear from pilots on this.

Meanwhile the IGC talks frequently about taking steps to limit team
flying, such as only one pilot per country, but never does anything
about it. I guess countries who are good at it like to keep the rules
the way they are.

It's not about culture. It's about rules. Same with gaggling. IGC
rules make gaggling, start roulette and leaching a mandatory part of
contest flying. US rules make those strategies much less important.
(This is in the distance/speed formulas, day devaluation rules, and
guidance on assigned vs. area tasks. US formulas and prevalence of
assigned tasks make tactical flying much less important) The result
is, much less tactical flying in the US. That is, I think, a bigger
part of why we don't do so well at worlds than team flying. And IMHO
makes US contest flying much more fun. But it has nothing to do with
culture, it's just an outcome of the rules.

Take those "collectivist" or "cooperative" europeans, who seem to like
to gaggle and play start games, put them in a race with different
rules, like the grand prix, and all of a sudden they take on a risk-
taking individualist streak that would embarrass the most redneck
American!

John Cochrane
Old August 21st 12, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:19:02 PM UTC+1, John Cochrane wrote:
[...]

It's about rules, not culture.
Two pilots are gathering more information about soaring conditions than one..
Team flying and individual flying are different skills, so let's have contests with either, or perhaps even both.

To be scored in the individual contest you just need a rule which says that two pilots representing the same country can't start within, say, 20 minutes (maybe more?) of one another, and that managers must demonstrate that one of their pilots is not acting as sacrificial for the other.

Iain Murdoch