A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

Old August 19th 15, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

Very good point.
Under the new EASA rules, students have to demonstrate xc-capabilities before earning their licence.
In Germany, that has been mandatory ever since. And in Germany or France, a candidate for FI had to prove a total XC experience of at least 500 km (and the total training time obtaining the FI level is one year, typically).

Bert
Ventus cM TW

Am Mittwoch, 19. August 2015 16:43:14 UTC+2 schrieb Sean Fidler:
One big glaring issue I see in regards to encouraging XC is that a short cross country flight is not a requirement for earning a glider private rating (or a commercial rating for that matter)?

If we let students earn their "glider rating" purely by flying within gliding range of the airport, we unsurprisingly get a large portion of "rated" glider pilots who become very comfortable not venturing outside of gliding range of the airport. This is really no surprise, is it?

"Train how you fight, fight how you train..."

If students (and their instructors), as part of their training, never have to truly think about, plan or execute XC skills are we not setting them up for XC failure? More importantly, our CFIGs can happily exists as CFIGs without any skill, experience or desire for cross country flight! You can get a CFIG rating and keep it today without ever having ventured outside of "gliding range" of the airport! In fact, many CFIGs openly discourage XC flight as irresponsible, etc. Land outs are bad...mmm-Kay! The same goes for most FAA glider "examiners(?)." This is incredible to me and probably a little frustrating to many of us.

Many (most?, but not all!) glider "instructors" simply never learn XC skills and therefore never really teach it (or meaningfully encourage it). They often don't have a great LOVE for cross country. They often don't understand it. Many see glider flight close to the airport as normal and how it "should" be. Many are not passionate about moving their students towards cross country. Obviously, these glider "instructors" are not the greatest "spark-plugs" for preparing new glider pilots to get into the more advanced levels of the sport of soaring (XC). In certain cases they are "allowed" to actively discourage developing cross country skills (that's dangerous, etc). They know who they are.

This broken dynamic is a major problem that we face with soaring today. It is at least part of the reason why we are seeing fewer new pilots joining us on cross country's.

If I was "king" ;-) I would fundamentally change this FAA glider instruction dynamic.

1) Students would have to plan for and complete a short 50km cross country as part of the flight training process. Instructors would have to truly teach this XC skill, and help the student practice it! This short XC would be a required element. The student would not have to do this solo. Waivers for instruction in difficult terrain (why get flight training here?) or poor weather (why get glider training in the winter?) would be allowed, but in general XC would be an important highlight of the glider flight training experience (vs something that is just glanced over). Just like the long cross country is a highlight of a private power rating, the XC element of the glider rating would be the most memorable (and inspirational) for the student! If I remember correctly the long cross country (power) is done both with an instructor and solo! Why is this short XC not at least a requirement with the instructor with gliders? It makes no sense to me. Even a 20 km cross country would be better than nothing.

2) CFIGs would need to compete a 100km cross country (with a student or solo) every 2 years to remain current. This would need to be verified like a silver badge is today with witnesses, etc. Period! No exceptions. You either love the sport of soaring (XC) and are competent at it OR you are not. We need CFIGs to be ambassadors for cross country soaring and truly love it. Don't tell me...SHOW ME! Prove it.

3) FAA examiners would also need to have a 100km cross country every 2 years. They need to be able to evaluate the students ability to understand cross country soaring in the oral examination. Without some minimum cross country experience themselves, this is a total pushover.

I'll retreat to my bunker for the fallout this post will create! ;-). But I have to say we need some changes in this area of the sport.

Sean

Old August 19th 15, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

ACA people need to answer their email. I am not going to drive 90 minutes to their monthly meeting only to find out that it was moved/cancelled or that everyone is up in yenimsville at a contest.

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 6:54:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Blairstown has one of the most active cross country clubs in the US, Aero Club Albatross. They has 1-26's to do XC in. They have a 1-34, an LS-4, and an LS-3. They also base a 1-34 at Wurtsboro which is open weekends an most week days.
I run a "rookie school" at the annual Region 2 contest which involves classroom training and active mentoring. That is done in coordination with the Region 2 "Bus class" contest which is flown using trainer class 2 seaters such as ASK-21's and Grob twins.
Our club members at Valley Soaring Club in Middletown either do their Silver distance by going to Blairstown, commonly in the club 1-26 or 1-34, or by doing a closed course that uses a declared remote start and remote finish.
Lots of people fly XC from sites around an hour from NYC.
UH

Old August 19th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 10:43:14 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
One big glaring issue I see in regards to encouraging XC is that a short cross country flight is not a requirement for earning a glider private rating (or a commercial rating for that matter)?

Honestly, at the time when I took my commercial glider checkride, I wasn't prepared to do a cross country.

Instead, i focused on the Silver badge achievements after my rating.
Old August 19th 15, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker
external usenet poster

so i got one comment on the "graduated training flights" (which immediately devolved into a flurry of responses on the nuances of badge flights) and one comment on where to fly XC out of the NYC area.

is the lack of enthusiasm for adressing these 4 actual problems encountered by an actual interested newbie glider pilot a reflection of the sport's inability to attract and encourage new XC pilots?

--bob

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 5:49:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Pasker wrote:
as someone who needs no additional inspiration to become an XC glider pilot (I have Silver Altitude and Silver Distance, and have flown 4.5 and 8.0 with Kempton in his ASH-25), here are the obstacles:

A glider. I either have to buy a glider and only fly out of a local airpot (Blairstown or Wurstburo), since I don't neither have a vehicle that can tow a glider nor do I have the time to tow it anywhere. Or I have to find a club that allows XC flights. I have tried to contact Blairstown numerous times, and nobody answers their email. Wurstboro is only open week-ends, and is therefore less desirable. Lastly, I can continue to rent out of commercial operations, but all of them have been fairly unwilling to let me take a glider out of the local area without substantial time in the area, with the notable except of Soaring NV.

Graduated training flights. It would be great if the locals would put up on their website some proposed training flights of increasing difficulty suited to the terrain and the typical weather of for the area. These graduated training flights should be structured around Silver Distance, Gold Distance, and Diamond Goal. For example, for Silver Distance as a triangle, there could be two practice flights, out and back to each of the other two points on the triangle, and then the third for all three points.

Dual XC flights. For those of you who have single-seat gliders, get current in a mid-performance two-seater and take people on cross-country flights.. Kempton took me on two flights last month (see OLC links below), and I learned more in one hour of XC with him than I have from anyone else. You don't have to be a CFI. Any one who is ready for XC should be able to learn just from watching and asking questions.

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...tId=-925876405
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...tId=-976935827

Contest training. No where have I seen any in-person training on how to actually fly a contest (which doesn't mean it doesn't exist). I would love to see a 1-hour training video that takes me through the entire process, or even a "contest training camp" (maybe the OLC camp?)

I guess this is a pretty good start.

--bob

Old August 19th 15, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If we let students earn their "glider rating" purely by flying within gliding range of the airport, we unsurprisingly get a large portion of "rated" glider pilots who become very comfortable not venturing outside of gliding range of the airport. This is really no surprise, is it?

If students (and their instructors), as part of their training, never have to truly think about, plan or execute XC skills are we not setting them up for XC failure? More importantly, our CFIGs can happily exists as CFIGs without any skill, experience or desire for cross country flight! You can get a CFIG rating and keep it today without ever having ventured outside of "gliding range" of the airport! In fact, many CFIGs openly discourage XC flight as irresponsible, etc. Land outs are bad...mmm-Kay! The same goes for most FAA glider "examiners(?)." This is incredible to me and probably a little frustrating to many of us.

Many (most?, but not all!) glider "instructors" simply never learn XC skills and therefore never really teach it (or meaningfully encourage it). They often don't have a great LOVE for cross country. They often don't understand it. Many see glider flight close to the airport as normal and how it "should" be. Many are not passionate about moving their students towards cross country. Obviously, these glider "instructors" are not the greatest "spark-plugs" for preparing new glider pilots to get into the more advanced levels of the sport of soaring (XC). In certain cases they are "allowed" to actively discourage developing cross country skills (that's dangerous, etc). They know who they are.

This broken dynamic is a major problem that we face with soaring today. It is at least part of the reason why we are seeing fewer new pilots joining us on cross country's.

If I was "king" ;-) I would fundamentally change this FAA glider instruction dynamic.

1) Students would have to plan for and complete a short 50km cross country as part of the flight training process. Instructors would have to truly teach this XC skill, and help the student practice it! This short XC would be a required element. The student would not have to do this solo. Waivers for instruction in difficult terrain (why get flight training here?) or poor weather (why get glider training in the winter?) would be allowed, but in general XC would be an important highlight of the glider flight training experience (vs something that is just glanced over). Just like the long cross country is a highlight of a private power rating, the XC element of the glider rating would be the most memorable (and inspirational) for the student! If I remember correctly the long cross country (power) is done both with an instructor and solo! Why is this short XC not at least a requirement with the instructor with gliders? It makes no sense to me. Even a 20 km cross country would be better than nothing.

2) CFIGs would need to compete a 100km cross country (with a student or solo) every 2 years to remain current. This would need to be verified like a silver badge is today with witnesses, etc. Period! No exceptions. You either love the sport of soaring (XC) and are competent at it OR you are not. We need CFIGs to be ambassadors for cross country soaring and truly love it. Don't tell me...SHOW ME! Prove it.

3) FAA examiners would also need to have a 100km cross country every 2 years. They need to be able to evaluate the students ability to understand cross country soaring in the oral examination. Without some minimum cross country experience themselves, this is a total pushover.

I'll retreat to my bunker for the fallout this post will create! ;-). But I have to say we need some changes in this area of the sport.

Sean

It's a really good thing you are not king.
Cross country training is good to have but is not a must to make good, safe pilots. That said, training should(must) be done in a way that teaches the skills and judgement needed to advance to cross country. I tell my students that I'm teaching them to be able to land in fields because they may well do it one day.
UH
Old August 19th 15, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sean said: Many (most?, but not all!) glider "instructors" simply never learn XC skills and therefore never really teach it (or meaningfully encourage it).

I don't know to what extent this is true. I suspect many have some XC experience even if they don't practice it regularly, in particular because they enjoy and spend most of their cockpit time instructing.

That said, my father was always a very popular instructor at our club when I was growing up in part, I believe, because he taught soaring whenever possible, not just gliding. I enjoyed this popular demand during the brief years when I did some instructing, as well. The best way to learn for most is hands-on, either dual or lead-follow.

While I've never encountered an instructor who spoke against XC or competition per se, I did run across a fellow who was seeking a signoff for his CFI-G check ride. We got off tow on a dismal day and stumbled into a weak thermal. "Hey," I said, surprised, "Let's see if we can work this back up."

His voice was uncertain as he confessed he really didn't know how. He was a perfectly adequate pilot in every other respect and had been flying at our club for years, although (in retrospect), mostly rides and end-of-the-day smooth air flights.

It's been way too long since I took a written test so I don't know how many questions relate to soaring or XC but I suspect most examiners don't test for those skills. Getting that changed sounds like an imposing obstacle that will not easily be surmounted. Better to work within the model so ably proven by Hank Nixon, Erik Mann/Aero Club Albatross, Harris Hill Soaring, and others in this country. If your club/organization has the equipment and the intent but you're not getting comparable results, maybe a change in tactics is in order. I've seen the thriving XC/competition cultures at Blairstown/ACA and Valley Soaring up close and they work.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
U.S.A.
Old August 19th 15, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 9:20:55 AM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
Very good point.
Under the new EASA rules, students have to demonstrate xc-capabilities before earning their licence.
In Germany, that has been mandatory ever since. And in Germany or France, a candidate for FI had to prove a total XC experience of at least 500 km (and the total training time obtaining the FI level is one year, typically).

Bert
Ventus cM TW

Sean

I expect the FAA will eventually change Part 61 to fall in line with EASA.

FWIW, the EASA experience requirements for the equivalent of a PP-G a

10 hours of dual instruction
-
2 hours supervised solo flight time
-
45 launches and landings
-
1 cross country flight of at least 100km under the supervision of an instructor
Old August 19th 15, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

That is FANTASTIC NEWS!

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 3:48:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 9:20:55 AM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
Very good point.

Bert
Ventus cM TW

I'll retreat to my bunker for the fallout this post will create! ;-).. But I have to say we need some changes in this area of the sport.

Sean

I expect the FAA will eventually change Part 61 to fall in line with EASA..

FWIW, the EASA experience requirements for the equivalent of a PP-G a

10 hours of dual instruction
-
2 hours supervised solo flight time
-
45 launches and landings
-
1 cross country flight of at least 100km under the supervision of an instructor

Old August 19th 15, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Sean

True...... at least in our group, most CFIG's have done some cross country in gliders. Some CFIG's have even competed (one of our current ones is a past 15M nationals winner!).

When I did my initial CFIG process, I was "doing poorly" in the oral with the FAA examiner, UNTIL he asked me my background. Since I was looking to "give back to soaring" and NOT "add a rating" (along with badge work & contest flying), he worked with me. He had done some soaring in the past.
Yes, I became a CFIG for 8 years.

Later on, a club member (a FAA DE) and I went flying in his 2 place glass. I wanted to get a biennial as well as a current checkout in his ship. When we had covered "what was required", he stated, "What do you want to do now?". We went cross country, it was simple for me, new to him.
I think it helped open his eyes towards what was possible, makes him a better DE in the long run.
Old August 20th 15, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Why do you have to wait for the FAA to mandate it? Can't clubs implement a similar policy of their own accord?

I can understand a commercial organisation employing any qualified instructor regardless of actual soaring experience, they're not interested in renting gliders for solo cross country. If gliding clubs want to grow their membership they need to offer goals & challenges beyond local soaring, so why on earth would they let instructors that don't believe in cross country flying anywhere near student pilots? At the very least restrict them to basic/early instruction only.

Cross country gliding should be seen as a natural progression - learning to fly, learning to soar, learning to fly cross country. An instructor that can't do all of those is only half an instructor.

Chip's story of an instructor who "confessed he really didn't know how" is truly jaw dropping. He might as well have confessed that he didn't really know how to land.

Ed

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 3:43:14 PM UTC+1, Sean Fidler wrote:

Sean