Slingsby Skylarks....

Old December 2nd 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Ballantyne[_2_]

Default Slingsby Skylarks....

Hi folks,
Would appreciate very much if anyone out there could send me pictures,
information, histories, etc, of any of the Skylarks that may or may not be
out there still. Any snippets or anecdotes too! My 'old bird' (the
glider, not the wife!) is still going strong, I hope there are still a few
of Fred Slingsby's creation still airborne.
Cheers,
G. Ballantyne.

Old December 2nd 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Mitchell

The following website may be of interest: http://rcawsey.co.uk/skylark3.htm
It opens at the Skylark 3 page but has a link to both Skylark 2 and to
Skylark 4.

My 3G was BGA 1016 which, unfortunately, I crashed at Feshiebridge and my
son's first glider was a share in a 3F - BGA 1251, BUT - which is still
based at Bowland Forest Gliding Club, Chipping.

We both have happy memories of the old girls!

John

Old December 2nd 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

there are some images of my Skylark 4 (long since sold)on
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/IVSM.htm
I also once owned the only Skylark 2 in the USA several years ago
tim

Old December 2nd 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

N63SL is alive and well at Piedmont Soaring........

http://piedmontsoaring.org/images/2004/N63SL%20003.jpg

Bob

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

Old December 2nd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

good to know ...this is a very nice flying, (slow) older vintage
glider....easy to fly, climbs on a Bee's fart..but not a real speedy ship I
remember 75-76 knots is about top speed...faster than that the wing tips
twist enough to keep you at 76 knots..then they act like spoilers )...fly
it like it's a Skylark 4 and it's very enjoyable...I also once owned a
Slingsby Dart 17R.....another great old Slingsby ship....if I were looking
for a vintage glider to fly, not just to show..the Dart would be #1 on my
list..
tim

Old December 2nd 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Ballantyne[_2_]

Thanks for that John. Sorry to hear about the crash of 1016, hope it
wasn't too serious....
I've been on Richards site before. In fact you'll find a couple of my
recent photos on it now, one of which is of my own Skylark 3 (Bga no.
1023, 'BKE') which is now based at Portmoak again.
Lovely old machine...handling from a bygone age, that smell of wood, dope
and age...you can keep 'plastic' gliders, it has got to be 'wood' for
me!

Old December 2nd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 2 Dec 2008 13:15:02 GMT, George Ballantyne
wrote:

Hi folks,
Would appreciate very much if anyone out there could send me pictures,
information, histories, etc, of any of the Skylarks that may or may not be
out there still. Any snippets or anecdotes too! My 'old bird' (the
glider, not the wife!) is still going strong, I hope there are still a few
of Fred Slingsby's creation still airborne.
Cheers,
G. Ballantyne.

You may be pleased to hear that the Skylark at Bowland Forest is still
going strong. It was completely overhauled last year and now looks
resplendent in canary yellow and blue. I was also pleased to hear the
comments about the Dart 17R as I am a proud owner of one myself and
fly my Dart from Bowland Forest too. (We do have some modern ships at
Chipping as well - honest, although my last flight was in a Slingsby
Swallow, but that's another tale!)

Keith
Old December 3rd 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SGSflyer

On Dec 2, 7:15*am, George Ballantyne
wrote:
Hi folks,
Would appreciate very much if anyone out there could send me pictures,
information, histories, etc, of any of the Skylarks that may or may not be
out there still. Any snippets or anecdotes too! My 'old bird' (the
glider, not the wife!) is still going strong, I hope there are still a few
of Fred Slingsby's creation still airborne.
Cheers,
G. Ballantyne.

By chance, I found a Skylark currently advertised on Craigslist in
California. The advertisement has pictures and the sailplane has a
rather big trailer. If it were not so far away, I would be very
interested in it. For the price, it looks pretty good. You can search
Craigslist in Orange County for the ad. For those interested, I copied
the ad below: (Please note that this is not my advertisement nor do I
know the individual selling it. Therefore, I left the phone number off
the copy below but it can be found on Craigslist along with the
pictures.)

Slingsby T.43 Skylark 3 Sailplane with trailer $5000

1957 Skylark 3d Sailplane complete with trailer.

Good condition but needs some minor work. Trailer just had new paint
job and is also in good shape.

Glider and trailer are located in Wildomar, CA. Interested parties
only. Thanks!
Old December 3rd 08, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Pfeiffer

For Slingsby gliders in the USA, try the FAA registry site
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...ef_inquiry.asp

Insert Slingsby in the Manufacturer Name box and you get a summary of
all Slingsby gliders in the US. You can select individual entries for
more info.

I know it doesn't give info on condition or such, but it indicates it is
still in the system and may be viable. I have extracted names and
addresses from it to use for postal-mail invitations for our regional
Vintage Sailplane Meet.

...... Neal

George Ballantyne wrote:

Hi folks,
Would appreciate very much if anyone out there could send me pictures,
information, histories, etc, of any of the Skylarks that may or may not be
out there still. Any snippets or anecdotes too! My 'old bird' (the
glider, not the wife!) is still going strong, I hope there are still a few
of Fred Slingsby's creation still airborne.
Cheers,
G. Ballantyne.

Slingsby T.61 MotorFalke R. Wubben Soaring 11 December 10th 17 07:38 PM
Slingsby T-21 Nyal Williams Soaring 14 March 1st 07 08:28 AM
Slingsby Kestrel 19m Grant Johnson Soaring 1 July 27th 06 06:14 AM