CBS News Piece

Old January 15th 04, 10:02 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Kevin Darling wrote:

Just wait. Next they'll figure out that there are zillions of radio
controlled airplanes (!!) out there in the hands of teenagers, which
could be "packed with explosives". Yep, the RC danger is real,
folks.

They already eliminated amateur rocketry.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 15th 04, 11:23 PM
David Brooks

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Kevin Darling wrote:

Just wait. Next they'll figure out that there are zillions of radio
controlled airplanes (!!) out there in the hands of teenagers, which
could be "packed with explosives". Yep, the RC danger is real,
folks.

They already eliminated amateur rocketry.

My rocketing buddy says:

Nope, not at all! The reality is that Rocketry would be an incredibly
expensive, inaccurate and clumsy way of doing anything terrorist like.
Anyway, "model" rockets have no new restrictions. Shipping and storing
propellant that weights more than 62.5 grams has some additional
bureaucratic restrictions but (as my pictures on my office prove) is still
very, very common and able to be done.

The "incredibly expensive, inaccurate and clumsy" part should sound
familiar.

Or did you means amateur rocketry of the Saturn V class?

-- David Brooks

Old January 16th 04, 02:55 AM
Paul Missman

My aircraft is based at Eagles Nest. I wasn't there when CBS was there, but
I spoke with John the next day, before the story aired. Here are the facts
as I know them.

CBS set this up a couple weeks back, saying they were doing a story on air
parks. It wasn't until they arrived that they said they were doing a story
on poor security in General Aviation.

Everything John said defending General Aviation was edited out. There were
no pictures of the large gate out front with the usual "Pilots and
Passengers Only Beyond This Point" sign.

CBS told their story with voice overs, and the interview with the (ex-NTSB?)
employee.

This "story" isn't representative of Eagles Nest, air parks, or General
Aviation.

It is, unfortunately, characteristic of what we get fed as "news" nowadays
by the media. It is sickening, but as long as it brings in big profits for
the media outlets, this is probably what we will continue to get.

Paul Missman

"CFLav8r" wrote in message
m...
"John Harlow"
Does anyone know this John Trissel fellow? I'd like to know what he

*really* said.

I don't know what he really said but after a short search on the internet

found the
following websites:
John Trissel / Chase Trissel are both managers at : Eagles Nest Flight
Service
http://www.eaglesnest.aero/

And let us not forget the pretty realestate agent, Lesley Hock.
She is the one that I feel sorry for because I believe she was trying to
sell
the benefits of the airpark, not its shortcomings. CBS with editing

turned
that all around. Otherwise why would she have a website selling you on the
area?
http://www.lesleyhock.com/

David

Old January 16th 04, 03:22 AM
CFLav8r

"Paul Missman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for clearing things up Paul.
I figured as much. In my past experience with the media, I have found that
they are there to make their own story using real people but their own
fabricated facts.

David

Old January 16th 04, 06:09 AM
G.R. Patterson III

David Brooks wrote:

Or did you means amateur rocketry of the Saturn V class?

Nope, I had just read of new (circa 2002) restrictions on the solid-fuel rocket
engines we used to buy for my stepson. Glad to hear that was overhyped.

Old January 16th 04, 03:27 PM
ET

"Paul Missman" wrote in
news

[...]

You and or the airpart manager (John?) should contact someone at FoxNews
with this, their morning show loves to air this kind of stuff to show how
the other networks are not as "fair and balanced" as they are.....

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old January 16th 04, 03:45 PM
Casey Wilson

FYI -- Andrew Hayward is the president of CBS News, his email address is

Old January 16th 04, 05:20 PM
S Herman

When I get into my airplane, I always screen myself by asking the two
important questions - Has your luggage been in your possession at all
times? Has anyone given you anything or asked you to carry on or check
any items for them? Then on random days I take my shoes off.
--
Gene Seibel

This is great! My father in law is very anxious to go flying with me as
soon as I get the PPL (shortly is the plan :-) ). We often have
discussions in the areas of politics - I am a libertarian sort of guy,
and he thinks the government can do no wrong. When I do the pax briefing
about safety & emergency procedures i am going to ask him to remove his
shoes - it's a new regulation! I'm laughing already.
Old January 17th 04, 02:03 AM
Brooks Hagenow

[...]

Anyone besides me a Babylon 5 junky? Season 4, episode 8 titled "The
Illusion of Truth" was exactly this. Interstellare Network (ISN) did a
story on the Babylon 5 station and through editing made it look like an
aweful place run by a mentally ill commander and staffed by a corrupt crew.
And yet that episode of a science fiction show that aired for the first time
on 2-17-1997 mirrors exactly that is happening in the media today.

Makes me wonder at what point can the networks be held for slander. If you
say GA is safe, and CBS does its editing magic turning your meaning around
to say it is a security risk, why can't you file a lawsuit against them for
slander because they broadcast you on national TV after distorting your
message to fit their goals? What you mean is more important than what you
say. If I was interviewed and they chopped up the interview and played
clips out of context in a way that changed the meaning of what I said, to me
that is slander. They would be presenting a message I had not intended and
showing a point of view as if it were mine when it is not. Is that not a
definition of slander?

Old January 17th 04, 05:16 PM
CERoberts

You mean like this?

"Anyone besides me a ...junky? ...The...Network ... station ... an aweful
place run by a mentally ill ...corrupt crew.
And yet that ...is happening in the media today.

Makes me wonder ... If ... CBS ...is a security risk...on national TV ...?
What you mean is ...what you
say. If I ...chopped up the interview and played
clips out of context in a way that changed the meaning ...I ... would be
presenting a message I ...intended and
showing ...slander..."

Original post: