FAA installs first of a series of weather cams in Colorado

Old August 16th 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default FAA installs first of a series of weather cams in Colorado

This site is really a one-stop site for most aviation weather and other info like TFRs:

https://weathercams.faa.gov/

Kudos to the FAA for doing something really right.
Old August 17th 20, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 11:42:09 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
This site is really a one-stop site for most aviation weather and other info like TFRs:

https://weathercams.faa.gov/

Kudos to the FAA for doing something really right.

Thanks for sending this along.

I spent some time with this site. The ability to add/remove layers of visual information is very nice. Changing the basemap to "Terrain" seems most informative to me rather than the default satellite. Dragging to move the map's center point seems sluggish and intermittent (I have 100mbps service)..

One missing feature is that when I click on an airport identifier (KORD) all I get is the local name (Chicago O'Hare Intl). I expected to get airport details such as what is found on http://airnav.com/airports.
Old August 18th 20, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 7:00:39 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 11:42:09 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
This site is really a one-stop site for most aviation weather and other info like TFRs:

https://weathercams.faa.gov/

Kudos to the FAA for doing something really right.

Thanks for sending this along.

I spent some time with this site. The ability to add/remove layers of visual information is very nice. Changing the basemap to "Terrain" seems most informative to me rather than the default satellite. Dragging to move the map's center point seems sluggish and intermittent (I have 100mbps service).

One missing feature is that when I click on an airport identifier (KORD) all I get is the local name (Chicago O'Hare Intl). I expected to get airport details such as what is found on http://airnav.com/airports.

Try other airports: I get detailed info for many but not all - it is probably a work in progress.

Tom
Old August 18th 20, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2G wrote on 8/17/2020 9:27 PM:
[...]

It's odd it's promoted as a "Aviation Weather Camera Program", as it has a lot
more than that, including sectionals (but no SUA status that I can find). I like
the WeatherCams they have in Colorado; unfortunately, I don't see any for the PNW,
or UT/NV, where I normally fly. I hope they expand the number rapidly.