Icom 200 vhf radio/ XCOM 760

Old October 16th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
User

Default Icom 200 vhf radio/ XCOM 760

The XCOM now has a seperate remote module giving up to 20 remote
operations from the joystick if needed and still retains the Co-Pilot PTT

Bill McMullen wrote:
Stu:
The ICOM has a 9 frequency memory with optional remote switches for both
channel select and flip-flop functions ... essentially the same remote
features as used on the King KY 97A/197A and optionally implemented on
Robbie cyclics. Let me know if you want the manuals and I'll try to dig out
the links.

The one quirk of the XCOM unit in the install manual that I read was that
in order to use the remote channel select / flip-flop features, you lose the
co-pilot PTT button. Not normally a big deal, but could be troublesome if
you're in new airspace with a passenger who is familiar with the area and
willing to do the radio work for you. Also not very convenient for training
purposes.

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .

Can you toggle thru more than just one frequency in the ICOM? I'm flying

Baby Belle and don't take my hand off the cyclic unless it is on the

ground

and the blade speed is down. I find that flying around a restricted area

can use about 5 frequencies. My Microair is capable of up to 25

frequencies

toggled from the cyclic joystick, but I've had a lot of reliability issues
and may have to change.

Old October 16th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill McMullen

Thanks for the update ... I stand corrected and educated. This is a great
addition for installation flexibility but unfortunately it wasn't announced
when I made my purchasing decision for a helicopter radio.

..au...

Old October 17th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kensandyeggo

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Ken: Are you still manufacturing HS equipment for gyros?

NO, STU. I SOLD OVER 30 OF THEM AND THEN THE CHEAP COPYCATS CAME OUT
AND IT WASN'T WORTH IT ANYMORE.

How do you like
the J-2? We've heard stories about lack of sufficient power.

I HAD THE "SUPER J-2," WHICH HAD A 3-BLADED McCAULEY CONSTANT-SPEED
PROP. IT HAD A LITTLE MORE OOMPH. UNFORTUNATELY, BECAUSE OF A
BUSINESS PARTNER BACKING OUT AFTER I SIGNED A LEASE FOR A LOCATION, I
HAD TO OFFER HER FOR SALE. I SOLD HER ON FRIDAY THE 13TH. BUYER SAID
HE WAS GYRO-RATED (WINDS UP HE WASN'T. HE LIED) AND PROCEEDED TO
DEMOLISH HER ON HIS TAKE-OFF FOR HOME. THERE WAS A X-WIND AND AS SOON
AS HE LIFTED OFF, HE MADE A SHARP TURN DOWNWIND, GOT BEHIND THE POWER
CURVE AND CRASHED. HE WALKED AWAY UNHURT, BUT THE J-2 WAS TOTALLY
DESTROYED. MADE ME SICK. IT WAS A GORGEOUS CRAFT. IF ANYONE WANTS TO
SEE PHOTOS OF WHAT SHE LOOKED LIKE BEFORE SHE WAS DEMOLISHED, GO TO
BARNSTORMERS.COM AND ENTER "McCULLOCH J-2" IN THE SEARCH BOX. THE PICS
WILL BE UP FOR A FEW MORE DAYS.

KEN

One of our
friends worked on the things with Frank Robinson at McCulloch. I can
remember seeing a test version at Lancaster CA airport with strain gages all
over it.
Can you toggle thru more than just one frequency in the ICOM? I'm flying a
Baby Belle and don't take my hand off the cyclic unless it is on the ground
and the blade speed is down. I find that flying around a restricted area I

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
"Kensandyeggo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Anyone using any of these things out there? Looking for user feedback.

--
Stuart Fields

I had one (ICOM 200) for almost 700 hours in my RAF/Sparrowhawk gyro.
It worked absolutely great. I had the ribbon antenna (I forget the
name) and the combo was fantastic. Tower could here me way out behind
mountains at low altitudes.

I also have one in my McCulloch J-2, but I have a hash noise from an
unshielded ignition. It transmits and receives O.K. though.

Old October 17th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Ken: Sorry to hear about the crash. I watched a "Flight Instructor"
perform the same maneuver at Mirage Dry-Lake. If there hadn't been some
EMTs there he would have died. While I sure hate to see or hear of it
happening, the upside for me is that I learn that I'm not the dumbest cluck
on Earth.

--
Kathryn Fields

I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Icom A6 Radio Registration Problem Clyde Torres Home Built 4 May 6th 05 12:21 PM
XCOM VHF radio wesite update newsgroups Soaring 10 January 7th 05 01:09 AM
XCOM VHF Radio website update newsgroups Home Built 0 January 6th 05 06:43 AM
Icom CM-35 Desktop Battery Charger for Icom IC-A2 Radio A. Kay Aviation Marketplace 0 August 23rd 03 08:01 AM