musings - way waay OT

Old October 20th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default musings - way waay OT

Well of course the system is broken and you have pointed
out exactly why. Things will not get better unless some
serious reform is enacted. A flat tax, or a national sales
tax would be an excellent start.

The government, by making employers do all their dirty work, has done
an excellent job of fleecing their own people, and keeping it a secret.

As long as the vast majority of citizens are completely unaware of the
magnitude of their taxation (and, believe me, they are), nothing will
change.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 22nd 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On 20 Oct 2006 11:22:08 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Well of course the system is broken and you have pointed
out exactly why. Things will not get better unless some
serious reform is enacted. A flat tax, or a national sales
tax would be an excellent start.

The government, by making employers do all their dirty work, has done
an excellent job of fleecing their own people, and keeping it a secret.

As long as the vast majority of citizens are completely unaware of the
magnitude of their taxation (and, believe me, they are), nothing will
change.

But first we need to tax the crap out of everyone to pay off the
national debt which could have been done a few years ago without the
taxes. THEN we can move forward without leaving a huge load for those
that come after us....maybe I should have rephrased that last from
"that come after us" to "our childern and their children".

I'm retired and receiving SS. You guys just keep workin' and keep
those checks a commin'. :-))
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old October 22nd 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

Why do that when you know the politicians will just **** the money
away... There is plenty of money being paid into "the system" for
paying off debts, shoring up Social Security, helping "the poor poor"
people and the like.

Nothing sticks in my craw worse than seeing all the wasted money our
elected officials spend. Whomever said that they are just out for
themselves hit the nail on the head.

I for one think term limits would be a great start...

Jon

Old October 20th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"ktbr" wrote in message
Denny wrote:

Am I the only person who sees the system as being broken?

Well of course the system is broken and you have pointed
out exactly why. Things will not get better unless some
serious reform is enacted. A flat tax, or a national sales
tax would be an excellent start.

It won't do doodly squat!

Old October 20th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Matt Barrow wrote:

Well of course the system is broken and you have pointed
out exactly why. Things will not get better unless some
serious reform is enacted. A flat tax, or a national sales
tax would be an excellent start.

It won't do doodly squat!

What is your suggestion?

Old October 21st 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"kontiki" wrote in message
Matt Barrow wrote:

Well of course the system is broken and you have pointed
out exactly why. Things will not get better unless some
serious reform is enacted. A flat tax, or a national sales
tax would be an excellent start.

It won't do doodly squat!

What is your suggestion?

My suggestion is "Let nature take it's course".

By that, I mean that short of some benevolent dictatorship (rather in short
supply in human history) the problem is not political, but attitudinal (some
would say "philosophical"). America needs to lose the collectivist/thug
mindset. Short of that, things are not going to change in the least. At base
is that human foible of ENVY.

Until the overwhelming majority of Americans come to realize you cannot live
out of someone else's pocket (over 60% of Americans receive some sort of
government welfare), they will never give up their own graft. Frederick
Bastiat wrote about this over 160 years ago and to say he was prescient is
an understatement. NOTE: I do not abide that old myth about democracy
lasting only 200 years, as it's not a matter of a timetable, but attitudes
going in. Look at how long Russia lasted after the collapse of the old
Soviet Union.

For a nation that doesn't like someone telling them how to live their lives
(what they can spend their money on) they sure like to do it to their
neighbors.

No, there's noting one can do politically (see the article I referenced in
another post) seeing the nanny state is so popular.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old October 21st 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Matt Barrow wrote:

No, there's noting one can do politically (see the article I referenced in
another post) seeing the nanny state is so popular.

Well, you really don't have any suggestion, just a lot of opinion.

Old October 20th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ben Jackson

On 2006-10-20, Denny wrote:
One my
more skilled employees has a husband with MS (is on expensive drugs)

Could be as simple as that employee being careless setting their
exemptions. Maybe they get big refunds each April because they overpay
during the year.

By the way, do you offer a sec 125 cafe plan so they can buy those
drugs pre-tax?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 20th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Ben Jackson wrote:

Could be as simple as that employee being careless setting their
exemptions. Maybe they get big refunds each April because they overpay
during the year.

Anyone with any intelligence would never do that. Why give the government
an interest free loan.

Old October 21st 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"kontiki" wrote in message
Ben Jackson wrote:

Could be as simple as that employee being careless setting their
exemptions. Maybe they get big refunds each April because they overpay
during the year.

Anyone with any intelligence would never do that. Why give the government
an interest free loan.

You answered the question in your first statement.

They don't teach such things on MTV or ESPN.