gliders+radar

Old July 20th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default gliders+radar

Modern gliders are small and made of materials that show up poorly on
radar.

Are we basically flying stealth aircraft?

Johan Larson

Old July 20th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

A misnomer... I know for a fact that our LS-4 shows up on local approach
control radar.. as does the Grob 103, and the SGS1-26 and 2-33 is a dead
give away.

The problem is not the glider, its the relative motion. Software in the
"digital computer display" will filter out targets that appear not to be
moving to get rid of "clutter" or other atmospheric anomalies.. slow to
below 40knts straight line ground speed and you just may get filtered out
and not displayed.. core a tight thermal.. same effect.. less that 40knts
effective ground speed in a given direction and you will be filtered out and
not displayed... in this case.. "beaming to the doppler notch" is a bad
thing.. Military fliers will know what I mean.

I listen up on the local ATC Radar frequency and have talked to them on
occasions.. they have called me as traffic to other aircraft.. "traffic, 2
o'clock, 3 miles.. appears to be a glider, altitude unknown". Our local ATC
radar looses coverage about 4000ft AGL and below in the valley where our
glider club is.

If you really want to know you are seen, invest in a transponder with ModeC
and squawk 1200.

BT
(too many years on both sides of the radar)

oups.com...

Old July 20th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

BTIZ wrote:
If you really want to know you are seen, invest in a transponder with ModeC
and squawk 1200.

Thanks for all the advice, but I think you mistake my intentions. I'm
practicing my short-landing technique on an outline of the White House
roof. ;-)

Johan Larson

Old July 20th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob wrote:
That knock on your door is the NSA

Heh. Blue eyes, white skin, and a name like a viking; I must be the
decoy.

But seriously, folks, www.acronymfinder.com turns up some very very
interesting phrases for "NSA"; but, I fear the phrase Non-surgical Spem
Aspiration may have stolen my naivete forever. :-(

Johan Larson

Old July 20th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

For those Vikings out there, always remember it's, "Mayhem, Rape, Pillage,
and *then* Burn". The order in which one engages these activities being
relatively important to a successful raid.

Do you think Vikings used checklists?

bumper

"Don Johnstone" wrote in message
At 04:06 20 July 2006, wrote:

Bob wrote:
That knock on your door is the NSA

Heh. Blue eyes, white skin, and a name like a viking;
I must be the
decoy.

Vikings? Hells teeth, look at the problems they caused
over this side of the pond with their rape and pillage.
George Dunya better watch out if those babies are on
his case. :-)

Old July 20th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Big John

Johan

Look up Luneberg Lens via Google.

We hung them on T-33 target aircraft in exercies to give a radar
return the size of a B-47.

You could make one out of foam and Rennels (sp) Wrap and put inside
your plastic bird and get a much larger radar return for just a few
ounces for the lens.

These are passive devices and no power is required.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````

Old July 20th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

What kinda Rennels numbers would I get? Is this a new
kinda airfoil?

At 16:48 20 July 2006, Big John wrote:
Johan

Look up Luneberg Lens via Google.

We hung them on T-33 target aircraft in exercies to
give a radar
return the size of a B-47.

You could make one out of foam and Rennels (sp) Wrap
and put inside
your plastic bird and get a much larger radar return
for just a few
ounces for the lens.

These are passive devices and no power is required.

Big John