6'7" and looking for a glider

Old January 10th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 6'7" and looking for a glider

It's..."different"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAK_Genesis_2
Old January 10th 20, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob[_10_]

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 8:57:07 AM UTC-6, wrote:
It's..."different"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAK_Genesis_2

Do you know if there is one at SCOH? I'd like to check it out if there is.
Old January 10th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe

Default 6'7

At 05:01 10 January 2020, Rob wrote:
... getting some conflicting information about the fit in the Open

Cirrus.
I thought the difference was only 15m vs. 18m but the cockpit staying the

same ...

The Open Cirrus fuselage is very different, and my impression is that it
would be
better for a tall pilot (which I am not!). It also has a part fixed / part
lift-off canopy.
J.

Old January 10th 20, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Mike Brooks has a Genesis at GHSA.

Open Cirrus and Standard Cirrus are almost nothing alike. Open Cirrus has a massive cockpit.

Make sure you not only fit but you are comfortable. Your going to be wanting to spend 5-6 hrs in that seat...
Old January 10th 20, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Rob:
A few suggestions.

First, consider a thin pack parachute and race driver shoes (thin soles/no heels)

Gliders that fit big guys: Open Cirris, 17 or 19m Kestrels, ASW-15 or 17 with seat back removed (actually any of the Schleichers with the seat back removed) and 304cz

Contact Gordon Boettger. He is a pretty tall guy as I recall and about your size.
Old January 10th 20, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There was a very tall (about your size IIRC) German pilot at Ridge Soaring several years ago. If I'm not mistaken, he was on their national team. I don't remember what glider he was flying but he had a parachute rig that had the container for the canopy stored in the "baggage'area and attached to his harness. It was an interesting set up - maybe custom made?

I have an ASW 15 and you can cross that off your list. At 6'1", with a chute on and seat back removed my head was less than an inch from the canopy.

If you can fit in an ASW 20 with the seat back out, I have a Pegase that I will likely be selling in the spring. Same fuselage more or less, depending on who you talk to.
Old January 10th 20, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 12:01:06 AM UTC-5, Rob wrote:
Hi Uli, I sat in the Standard Cirrus and we couldn’t close the canopy. Reading various posts here, I’m getting some conflicting information about the fit in the Open Cirrus. I thought the difference was only 15m vs. 18m but the cockpit staying the same. Am I wrong?

Cheers,

Rob

Rob - please try to find an 'open Cirrus' and sit in it. They are totally different ships - their fuselages are completely different and very roomy!

Uli
'AS'
Old January 10th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 11:01:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
There was a very tall (about your size IIRC) German pilot at Ridge Soaring several years ago. If I'm not mistaken, he was on their national team. I don't remember what glider he was flying but he had a parachute rig that had the container for the canopy stored in the "baggage'area and attached to his harness. It was an interesting set up - maybe custom made?

I have an ASW 15 and you can cross that off your list. At 6'1", with a chute on and seat back removed my head was less than an inch from the canopy.

If you can fit in an ASW 20 with the seat back out, I have a Pegase that I will likely be selling in the spring. Same fuselage more or less, depending on who you talk to.

... but he had a parachute rig that had the container for the canopy stored in the "baggage'area and attached to his harness. It was an interesting set up - maybe custom made?

That would have been the 'Kohnke-Päckchen', which was very popular in Europe. It was a static line chute which was stored in the luggage compartment and attached to a harness via two carabiners.

Uli
'AS'
Old January 10th 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 08:00:59 -0800, mdfadden wrote:

If you can fit in an ASW 20 with the seat back out, I have a Pegase that
I will likely be selling in the spring. Same fuselage more or less,
depending on who you talk to.

I can confirm that Centrair built ASW-20s under license (many fitted with
a lifting panel as standard) and didn't renew the license when it
expired. Instead they rolled out the Pegase, which is basically an ASW 20
with new wings, which have a different section and no flaps. The fuselage
is tweaked slightly. The cockpit air intake is at the nose, the NACA
ducts under the wing are faired over (if you look carefully at a Peg you
can see where they were on the 20) and a lifting panel is standard.

The ASW-19 has the same fuselage, so if you're comfortable in one of
these, you'll be right at home in the other two, give or take a flap
lever!

The late-model Pegs (Pegase 90) have fully self-connecting controls and
somebody in Europe is or was converting 101s to self-connecting - I've
seen one or two round my club.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 10th 20, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:01:06 PM UTC-8, Rob wrote:

...Open Cirrus.

"Didn't you guys ever _watch_ the show?"