Cirrus Deploys Chute Safely

Old September 22nd 04, 03:32 PM
m alexander

Default Cirrus Deploys Chute Safely

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/91...10080739c.html
Old September 22nd 04, 04:12 PM
C J Campbell

"m alexander" wrote in message
et...
http://www.modbee.com/local/story/91...10080739c.html

Yet another Cirrus flying in coffin corner at high altitude in turbulence.
It seems to me that if airline pilots can be taught to do this without
falling out of the sky, then surely a Cirrus pilot can be taught the same,
or at least, like the rest of us, just stay out of there.

Old September 22nd 04, 05:45 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:12:30 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

Yet another Cirrus flying in coffin corner at high altitude in turbulence.
It seems to me that if airline pilots can be taught to do this without
falling out of the sky, then surely a Cirrus pilot can be taught the same,
or at least, like the rest of us, just stay out of there.

How can you discern that from the story? Nothing in the text says
that the airplane was at high altitude, only that it got into a spin
due to extreme turbulence. Did you have access to additional
information not given in the story that the posted URL gives you?

My question would be: why was the pilot flying the airplane in a
thunderstorm? Was he flying in clouds and encountered an embedded
stormcell?

Corky Scott
Old September 23rd 04, 02:36 AM
C J Campbell

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...or/9723097.htm

Old September 23rd 04, 01:37 PM
Nathan Young

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:36:28 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Yet another Cirrus flying in coffin corner at high altitude in

turbulence.
It seems to me that if airline pilots can be taught to do this without
falling out of the sky, then surely a Cirrus pilot can be taught the

same,
or at least, like the rest of us, just stay out of there.

How can you discern that from the story? Nothing in the text says
that the airplane was at high altitude, only that it got into a spin
due to extreme turbulence. Did you have access to additional
information not given in the story that the posted URL gives you?

My question would be: why was the pilot flying the airplane in a
thunderstorm? Was he flying in clouds and encountered an embedded
stormcell?

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...or/9723097.htm

Can you expand on your comment about coffin corner? My understanding
of coffin corner relates to jets flying high enough that their
indicated cruise speed is approach their indicated stall speed.

I looked up the SR22 POH for cruise speeds, stall speeds, etc.

If the SR22 was throttled back for economy or maneuvering.
47% pwr cruise @ 16000 feet = 162 KTAS
@ 16000 pressure altitude, 162 KTAS ~= 123 KIAS

Even at worst case CG and weight, stall speed for the SR22 is 70 KIAS.

That leaves margin of 53 kts. Seems ample to avoid a stall.

I do wonder what caused the pilot to stall @ 16kft.

-Nathan

Old September 23rd 04, 10:35 PM
Dude

Trying to maintain altitude in a T storm, rather than maintaing attitude?

That happened to the Canada guy supposedly.

Old September 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
Cy Galley

Pilot William Graham, 65, told authorities that his airplane, a Cirrus SR22,
stalled at 16,000 feet, then encountered turbulent weather at 13,000 to
15,000 feet that sent it into a spin, according to the Stockton Record
newspaper.

Old September 22nd 04, 05:20 PM
Dude

This sounds simillar to the Canadian story. Why can these guys not recover
from the spins if they are so high?

Old September 23rd 04, 02:35 AM
C J Campbell

"Dude" wrote in message
This sounds simillar to the Canadian story. Why can these guys not

recover
from the spins if they are so high?

The Cirrus cannot recover from spins. Here is a quote from the SR22 manual:

Spins

The SR22 is not approved for spins, and has not been tested or

certified for spin recovery characteristics. The only approved and

demonstrated method of spin recovery is activation of the Cirrus

Airframe Parachute System (See CAPS Deployment, this section).

Because of this, if the aircraft “departs controlled flight,” the CAPS

must be deployed.

While the stall characteristics of the SR22 make accidental entry into a

spin extremely unlikely, it is possible. Spin entry can be avoided by

using good airmanship: coordinated use of controls in turns, proper

airspeed control following the recommendations of this Handbook, and

never abusing the flight controls with accelerated inputs when close to

the stall (see Stalls, Section 4).

If, at the stall, the controls are misapplied and abused accelerated

inputs are made to the elevator, rudder and/or ailerons, an abrupt wing

drop may be felt and a spiral or spin may be entered. In some cases it

may be difficult to determine if the aircraft has entered a spiral or the

beginning of a spin.

• WARNING •

In all cases, if the aircraft enters an unusual attitude from

which recovery is not expected before ground impact,

immediate deployment of the CAPS is required.

The minimum demonstrated altitude loss for a CAPS

deployment from a one-turn spin is 920 feet. Activation at

higher altitudes provides enhanced safety margins for

parachute recoveries. Do not waste time and altitude trying to

recover from a spiral/spin before activating CAPS.

Inadvertent Spin Entry

1. CAPS
...... Activate

Old September 23rd 04, 03:46 AM
C.D.Damron

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
The SR22 is not approved for spins, and has not been tested or

certified for spin recovery characteristics. The only approved and

demonstrated method of spin recovery is activation of the Cirrus

Airframe Parachute System (See CAPS Deployment, this section).

Because of this, if the aircraft "departs controlled flight," the CAPS

must be deployed.

Sounds like legal-speak to me. I'm am willing to bet that Cirrus has spun
the hell out of that design with pleasing results.