The Apology

Old October 21st 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

Default The Apology

Not sure I understand, but I did put photos instead of illustrations with my fake news. Digging would be to offend everyone. Like: Why are you surprised the women spoke up? Any bitch who straps on a parachute, smack pack and an InReach is more of a man than most of you posers who try to cut the line to give carnival rides to tourists.

You could stop digging (before you get to China).

Old October 21st 20, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 10:22:38 AM UTC-4, xcnick wrote:
Not sure I understand, but I did put photos instead of illustrations with my fake news. Digging would be to offend everyone. Like: Why are you surprised the women spoke up? Any bitch who straps on a parachute, smack pack and an InReach is more of a man than most of you posers who try to cut the line to give carnival rides to tourists.

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5:54:16 AM UTC-7, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:

You could stop digging (before you get to China).

Sorry, directed at Bob Y.
Old October 21st 20, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

The complaints and the sniveling apologies are appalling. And the woman in the ad would be more attractive if she had kept her mouth shut.
Old October 21st 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 1:03:07 PM UTC-4, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 10:22:38 AM UTC-4, xcnick wrote:
Not sure I understand, but I did put photos instead of illustrations with my fake news. Digging would be to offend everyone. Like: Why are you surprised the women spoke up? Any bitch who straps on a parachute, smack pack and an InReach is more of a man than most of you posers who try to cut the line to give carnival rides to tourists.

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5:54:16 AM UTC-7, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:

You could stop digging (before you get to China).

Sorry, directed at Bob Y.

John, the women whom complained need to dig very deep to come out the other side to redeem themselves. Oh my, what
a tangled web they wove.
Old October 22nd 20, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

There are situations where some overreact to an imagined slight or insult. This is not one of those situations.

Multiple long-standing members took the time to write to complain about an ad that troubled them. I think Soaring/SSA responded appropriately in responding.

What was socially acceptable in the past is not always acceptable today. I consider myself to be fairly enlightened. That said, over the years, I've managed to offend several female friends with insensitive remarks, and even lost one friend as a result. I didn't mean any harm. But these women were troubled enough to call me on it. I'm glad they explained why my remarks weren't appropriate because I didn't always "get it" and it allowed me to apologize and to try to improve.

The nearly universal response by the men on this thread is a perfect illustration of how far we have to go. Has political correctness gone too far? In some cases, yes. But those of us in the majority (and in soaring, men by far outnumber women) need to put a little effort into trying to understand why some of those in the minority might be offended by ads like this, not criticize and further insult them.

Chip Bearden
JB
SSA member since 1965
Old October 22nd 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

Is it ancient sexism that got the girl's fired up, or is the real reason they are mad because the soaring scene doesn't have men like the guy in the advertisement?
Old October 22nd 20, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Kumbaya, y'all. Give Peace a chance. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Feel free to chime in with some meaningless politically correct slogan from your childhood.
Old October 23rd 20, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 10:42:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Kumbaya, y'all. Give Peace a chance. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Feel free to chime in with some meaningless politically correct slogan from your childhood.

Who the hell looks at the characters in advertisements and thinks that they portray anything significant w.r.t the general state of man- or womanhood or (even weirder) that it somehow reflects on their *personal* '
Old October 23rd 20, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 7:32:46 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 10:42:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Kumbaya, y'all. Give Peace a chance. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Feel free to chime in with some meaningless politically correct slogan from your childhood.

Who the hell looks at the characters in advertisements and thinks that they portray anything significant w.r.t the general state of man- or womanhood or (even weirder) that it somehow reflects on their *personal* man- or womanhood? That's just making a problem out of nothing.

I think a few people could join me in a nice tall cold drink of "Harden the F--- Up". Your lives will be infinitely more enjoyable for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKavLUAiRWs

T8
Old October 23rd 20, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Saw a great T-shirt:

"You think it's offensive.

I think it's funny.

That's why I'm happier than you."

Apology Bob Gardner Piloting 2 January 4th 05 06:51 PM
Apology Curtis Soaring 0 October 20th 04 03:44 PM
Apology Curtis Rotorcraft 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Restoration 0 October 20th 04 03:42 PM
Apology Curtis Products 0 October 20th 04 03:30 PM