Old Folks Poll

Old November 3rd 20, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Old Folks Poll

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 7:41:15 AM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
I thought it might be fun (and healthy) to start a poll or discussion for the guys and gals who have been in the sport for + 25 years or more. So, my question for those people is : "What is the biggest change you have seen in the sport over the years you have participated?"

For me, the biggest change was the widespread adoption of GPS - which changed everything about flight recording, contests, contest tasking and badge flying. Second place goes to the newer trailers which are so much better than what we struggled with in the old days. Third place might be OLC . . .
What do you think?

ROY

Engines

Old November 3rd 20, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

In the 80s in the UK we knew it as a John Willy - after a well
known coach, John Williamson, who marketed a range of such devices,
calibrated for all sorts of performance of glider.

My copy of John Delafield's Gliding Competitively (1982) calls it a "JSW Calculator" - for the same reason.
ROY
Old November 3rd 20, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Andrzej may be right about "engines" - and certainly in the next 25 years.
ROY
Old November 4th 20, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 7:41:15 AM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
"What is the biggest change you have seen in the sport
over the years you have participated?"

People didn't use to call us Old Folks.

Old November 4th 20, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I have a prayer wheel in my cocpit. Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 11:32:30 AM UTC-8, Roy B. wrote:
Anybody remember what a "prayer wheel" was?
When did you last see one?
ROY

Old November 4th 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

People didn't use to call us Old Folks.

OK, Boomer.

(I'm a Boomer, too.)
Old November 4th 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 2:00:05 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Anybody remember what a "prayer wheel" was?

I didn't recognise this phrase, at first, but soon worked it out from
context. In the 80s in the UK we knew it as a John Willy - after a well
known coach, John Williamson, who marketed a range of such devices,
calibrated for all sorts of performance of glider.

I think I still have one in my Ventus, but haven't used it in decades as
(ironically, considering today's electronic wizardry) I can monitor the
situation mentally quite well enough.

(I don't know whether "John Willy" has the same alternative connotation
in the US as in the UK?)

I came across my FUGAWE, the other day...............a must before GPS!
JJ

James.

Old November 4th 20, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

Finish cylinders and turn area tasks... now you don't know who wins until the scores are posted.

Back in the old days the finish gate was pure excitement... pilots calling 1 mile... crews calculating times to see if their pilot was the fastest.

The Red Arrows - That's It Folks Indrek[_5_] Aviation Photos 1 July 31st 12 09:25 AM
We're getting old, folks... Jay Honeck Piloting 163 January 12th 06 03:41 AM
Lucky folks David Lesher Owning 9 August 5th 05 02:11 PM
Hello folks........ S. Piloting 14 March 13th 05 12:18 AM
Thanks for your help, folks! Jay Honeck Piloting 2 July 16th 03 05:32 PM