Mistral Rotary Engine

Old May 31st 04, 10:42 PM

Default Mistral Rotary Engine

230 HP Swiss Mazda, super+turbocharged, PSRU - as seen in AOPA Pilot this
month

http://www.mistral-engines.com

Put that in your RV-10 and smoke it...

Old May 31st 04, 10:57 PM
Dave S

Lets see.. 30 grand for a mistral... or 8 grand for a new mazda rotary
Renesis that is supposed to give 230 NATURALLY ASPIRATED.. another few
grand for all the accesories.. and you still arent at half the cost of
the Mistral.

But it's a start I guess.

Dave

Old June 1st 04, 04:22 PM
John Mireley

Dave S wrote:
Lets see.. 30 grand for a mistral... or 8 grand for a new mazda rotary
Renesis that is supposed to give 230 NATURALLY ASPIRATED.. another few
grand for all the accesories.. and you still arent at half the cost of
the Mistral.

Where can I purchase a Renesis engine for $8K?
Old June 1st 04, 06:49 PM
Bryan

From Bruce at Rotary Resources http://www.rotaryresources.com/

He can build you an engine (long block) from factory new parts, this is the
only option as Mazda does not yet sell long blocks.

"John Mireley" wrote in message
Dave S wrote:
Lets see.. 30 grand for a mistral... or 8 grand for a new mazda rotary
Renesis that is supposed to give 230 NATURALLY ASPIRATED.. another few
grand for all the accesories.. and you still arent at half the cost of
the Mistral.

Where can I purchase a Renesis engine for $8K?

---

Old June 2nd 04, 12:50 AM
Dale Alexander

I don't want to go into details too much cause everytime I poke holes at
Mazda rotaries, I get flamed by the pure believers. When I was at Pacific
Region Mazda for dealership training (I am a Mazda mastertech), it was quite
obvious that the only way that a normally aspirated RX-8 was going to get
230 HP was WITH all of the manifolding with various butterfly valves and
resonance chambers INTACT. Remove them, ANY OF THEM, and forget the high
power rating. I don't think that there is anyone out there in the
aftermarket world that will be able to offer manifolding as complex as what
the Mazda factory put yards of money into developing. Sorry, but Tracy Crook
doesn't come close. I might believe 190HP as the side ports do help quite a
bit, but even with the 4 out of 6 fancy do-dads installed at the factory,
the low power RX-8 gets 210-214HP. Remove those 4 and suffer the loss of
power. But don't claim you have 230 HP just because you bought a Renesis
motor.

Dale Alexander
Velocity 173 RG Elite
Mazda-Toyota Master Tech
Northern California

From Bruce at Rotary Resources http://www.rotaryresources.com/

Old June 2nd 04, 03:50 AM
Ernest Christley

Dale Alexander wrote:
[...]

No flame here, Dale, even though I have every intention of using a Mazda
rotary. Just an honest question.

After losing power to the tuned intake manifold, how much power is
regained by dropping all of the emission control 'stuff'? Basically,
with a reasonably tuned intake and exhaust, do you believe 190Hp would
be good working figure for the Renesis?

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old June 2nd 04, 03:08 PM
Dave S

What limitations would prevent the manifolding from being incorporated
under the cowl? Size? Weight?

Dave

From Bruce at Rotary Resources http://www.rotaryresources.com/