Stupid Question

Old July 21st 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default Stupid Question

When pilots quote how many hours they have logged, is this a personal log
that is kept, or is every hour you fly entered into a national registry and
formally kept?
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Old July 21st 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

When pilots quote how many hours they have logged, is this a personal log
that is kept, or is every hour you fly entered into a national registry and
formally kept?

It is a personal log; no national registry is kept. It is required that
any flight time that you use towards currency requirements and ratings
be logged appropriately. It is not required that all time be logged,
though as a matter of practice most pilots probably log it all. There
are rules about how the log is kept (for example, the flight conditions
(day/night, instrument, simulated instrument), the administrative
conditions ("pilot in command, second in command, single engine/multi
engine) and other things. It's basically fairly simple, although
certain nuances of the rules keep Usenet participants busy posting when
they should be flying.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 21st 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

I'm surprised. I never knew how it all worked. That leaves the whole
'minimum number of hours required' thing a bit open to fudging doesn't it?
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
m...

Old July 21st 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Yes, but fraud can get you in legal trouble with the feds
and professional pilots easily recognize phony hours [like
the guy who came looking for a job and claimed 1200 hours
total time and 400 hours actual instrument.] If you have
time listed that doesn't make sense, no body will trust you.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old July 21st 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Plus if your logs show 5000 hours in your aircraft the feds can always
ask to look at the aircraft log books. If its in a rental aircraft the
FBO will certainly have logs of it. It would probably be easy to
overstate things by 10% but it wouldn't buy you enough to risk it.
Overstating more than that would start to get easier to check.

There is the famous story (or legend) of a guy shownig up for his
multi-ATP ride with lots of multiengine time. The examiner looks
through his log book and see the N number for the multi-engine plane is
that same as the plane parked on the ramp, which just happens to be
owned by the examiner!

-Robert

Dave Doe wrote:
In article ,
says...
I'm surprised. I never knew how it all worked. That leaves the whole
'minimum number of hours required' thing a bit open to fudging doesn't it?
Crash Lander

Yes. I have a flight that I never logged - and probably never will. I
have my reasons.

However logging extra hours - well - while you're doing your training,
you'll be doing so presumably with the one organisation. So this is
easily cross-checked (as well as very foolhardy IMO). Indeed it will be
the only easy way to rebuild your logbook if you lose it.

--
Duncan

Old July 21st 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Plus if your logs show 5000 hours in your aircraft the feds can always
ask to look at the aircraft log books. If its in a rental aircraft the
FBO will certainly have logs of it.

Not without one hell of a lot legwork. If I claim to have rented planes
all over the country the FAA will have a lot of work to do to prove I
didn't.

Old July 21st 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Crash,

That leaves the whole
'minimum number of hours required' thing a bit open to fudging doesn't it?

Yep. But if you get caught having fudged, watch your insurance party with
joy - and refuse payment.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 21st 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It is also grounds to revoke all certificates held.

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in
message ...

Old July 21st 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote

It is also grounds to revoke all certificates held.

To the original poster:

I think you can see, from the responses, that there are too many really "bad
things" that can result from fudging your logbook. The possibility of being
caught is certainly not worth the possible gain that could result from
having more hours. Very few people would have a situation where just a few
hours would help, and fudging a lot is too obvious to get away with.

It is way too easy for someone to catch you. Also, one thing nobody
mentioned is, you write down the aircraft along with the hours in your
logbook. If it is a rental, or working hours, all you have to do is go back
to the airplane's records, and see if you are written down as having been
the pilot on the dates you said in your logbook.
--
Jim in NC