Notice of changes to IGC-approval levels of 11 types of FlightRecorder to take place on 1 January 2020

Old October 21st 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Strachan

Default Notice of changes to IGC-approval levels of 11 types of FlightRecorder to take place on 1 January 2020

On 20 October, the IGC-approval documents for 11 types of IGC-approved GPS Flight Recorders were updated. In para (i-ii) on page 1 of these IGC-approval documents, notice is given of a reduction of IGC-approval level to take place on 1 January 2020. The affected FRs are old designs, one going back to 1996, and in some cases the FR manufacturer is no longer in business.

This is the final stage in a process that started in January 2019 with the report of the IGC GFA Committee for the IGC Plenary agenda, followed by a presentation to the Plenary and approval to proceed. More detailed proposals were made to the IGC Bureau and the IGC FR Technical Specification and Annex B to the Sporting Code (SC3B) were updated. Affected manufacturers were contacted (where they still exist) and given time to submit updates.

A similar process happened in 2012 in which 13 types of IGC-approved FR were affected. The general reason for such changes is that the complexity of modern computer technology and security systems is not compatible with retaining the highest levels of IGC-approval for Recorders with old design standards.

The types of recorder affected in January 2020 are as follows: Aircotec XC, Cambridge 302, DSX T-advisor/Tracer, EW microRecorder, Garrecht Volkslogger, IMI Erixx, NT Easy and Matchbox, Peschges VP8, Scheffel Themi, and Zander 941.

To put this in perspective, there are currently 63 main types of IGC-approved Flight Recorders, 72 when different models within types are added. The main table of all these Approvals, and individual IGC-approval documents, can be downloaded from either the GFAC or FAI/IGC web sites, see below, together with other information on IGC-approved Flight Recorders.

Ian Strachan
Chairman, IGC GNSS Flight Recorder Approval Committee (GFAC)

www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC

There are now 63 main types of IGC-approved Flight Recorders from 20 different manufacturers. When different models within types are added, the total rises to 72.

If you own, or fly with, one of these recorders, it is recommended that you download its latest IGC-approval document from one of the web sites given below, and note any changes that may affect how you operate it.

A summary document is the first item on the web site before the set of Approval documents for each type of recorder. This includes the following:

(1) a table of all types of IGC-approved Flight Recorders in alphabetical order of manufacturer name, with links to their IGC-approval documents in the right hand column under "Date of Latest Document".

(2) a table of Manufacturers of IGC-approved Flight Recorders, in alphabetical order of name.

(3) a diary of all IGC-approval activity from the first IGC-approvals in 1996 to the present day, most recent events first.

(4) a history of GNSS Flight Recording in IGC together with pictures of some early Recorders.

------------------------------

For the GFAC web site,
see: www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC

the complete table can be viewed directly at:
www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/igc_approved_frs.pdf

--------------------------

Navigating the IGC web site:

go to: www.fai.org/igc-documents

Scroll down and click "Flight Recorders",

You can also look down and click on:

Sporting Code Section 3 Gliding
then
Sporting Code Annex B (SC3B) - Equipment Requirements for Validation of Flights

or, for the FR Specification:

Flight Recorders,
then
IGC-approved Flight Recorders - Technical Specification

IGC-approval - GENERAL

IGC-approval follows test and evaluation by the IGC GNSS Flight Recorder Approval Committee (GFAC) in accordance with Annex B to the Sporting Code for gliding and the Technical Specification for IGC-approved GNSS Flight Recorders.

The Technical Specification is available through the igc-documents web site above

or

directly from the GFAC web site:
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do..._spec_gnss.pdf

Programs that have been notified to IGC for the analysis of IGC files are listed on the GFAC web site under: "Analysis Programs for IGC Flight DataFiles"

Validation than an IGC file has the correct structure and that the file is the same as initially downloaded from the FR, is achieved either through the IGC Shell program, or through analysis programs such as SeeYou that include IGC Shell within their overall program and provide a file Validation facility in their menu.
IGC Shell may be downloaded he
www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/downloads.htm
This downloads the file IGCDLL.zip, which when un-zipped, gives the free IGC Shell program. This web site also contains the latest FR Manufacturers’ Data Link Library (DLL) files that are used by IGC Shell and other programs to Validate the structure of an IGC file. The IGC file Validate check ensures that the IGC file came from a serviceable and secure FR, and the file is identical to when it was originally downloaded. This check is required before a flight performance recorded in the IGC file can be approved to the standards of IGC.

Finally, the Sporting Code for gliding (SC3) and its annexes A-D may be downloaded via: www.fai.org/igc-documents in which "Sporting Code - Section 3: Gliding" is at the top of the list

------------------------

Old October 21st 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well that totally sucks. I use a 302 as primary and an EW for backup. If those recorders have been sufficiently secure for the past ten years, what makes them suddenly unacceptable come Jan 1 ?

I don’t know about the EW, but I do know alot of guys are still using a 302. Sounds like more bull**** designed to make us buy new gear. IGC sure likes to screw things up.
Old October 21st 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 12:03:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Well that totally sucks. I use a 302 as primary and an EW for backup. If those recorders have been sufficiently secure for the past ten years, what makes them suddenly unacceptable come Jan 1 ?

I don’t know about the EW, but I do know a lot of guys are still using a 302. Sounds like more bull**** designed to make us buy new gear. IGC sure likes to screw things up.

Since you didn't bother to follow the links, read the documents, and see what the above meant, I'll help you out.
For the 302:
"IGC-approval Level. The original IGC-approval was for IGC Level 1 (all flights including world records). This document gives notice that due to increases in IGC Specification conditions for Level 1, this type of FR will be adjusted to IGC Level 2 (all IGC badges and distance diplomas) with effect from 1 January 2020.The Levels of IGC-approval are listed in the Sporting Code for Gliding, Annex B para 1.1.4.This type of FR may also be used in gliding and FAI competitions and events to which the IGC Level 2 recorder standard applies."
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/ap...mbridge302.pdf
For the EW microrecorder:
"IGC-approval Level. The original IGC-approval was for IGC Level 1 (all flights including world records). This document gives notice that due to increases in IGC Specification conditions for Level 1, this type of FR will be adjusted to IGC Level 2 (all IGC badges and distance diplomas) with effect from 1 January 2020.The Levels of IGC-approval are listed in the Sporting Code for Gliding, Annex B para 1.1.4.This type of FR may also be used in gliding and FAI competitions and events to which the IGC Level 2 recorder standard applies."
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/ap...s/ew-micro.pdf

As to why, there was a paper (link below) describing the reasons for the previous downgrading, which really says that computers are getting good enough that old .igc file encryption wasn't able to be sufficiently secure. It begins:
"IGC-approved Flight Recorders - Security 1. Background. Earlier in 2011 GFAC was notified by an NAC that a false IGC file had been produced that continued to pass the IGC electronic Validation check. This file was for a 750km triangle and had been submitted to the NAC’s own OLC as if it was a real flight. However,the Header record of the file showed the glider as a K-13 and the two named pilots were well-known competition pilots who had not flown a K-13 together, let alone for 750km.
1.1 A copy of the IGC file was sent to the GFAC chairman who forwarded it to the ANDS and GFAC committees and their advisors for analysis. It was confirmed that the file passed the IGC electronic Validation check. The security system used the well-known "Public/Private Key" method where resistance to hacking depends on the length of the Private Key Analysis. The false IGC file contained flight data from a real flight but its Header record had been"doctored"with a false aircraft type and crew. It could be taken as an attempt to show that this method of cheating was feasible. Code-breaking ("hacking") techniques had been used to create a security record at the end of the file that enabled it to pass the IGC Validation check. Experts in electronic security from ANDS, GFAC and the NAC confirmed that types of IGC-approved FRs approved in the 1990sincludingthose using public/private key systems (such as RSA ) with low public key lengths,are now particularly vulnerable to hacking. This would allow completely false IGC files to be produced that would pass the IGC Validation check, including those more serious and less detectable than an obvious alteration of the file Header. Further details on electronic security are in Annex A."
Read it he
http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do...202011-10e.pdf

The just obsoleted standard, by my reading of http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do...c_gnss_al5.pdf was 2048 bit RSA encryption. The new standard, by my reading of http://www.ukiws.demon.co.uk/GFAC/do..._spec_gnss.pdf , is 3072 bit encryption (G2.1.2). The original FR's had 192, 512, and 1024 bit encryption according to the paper.

So, you now will have two FR's that cannot do World Records, but are good for the Diamond Badge and Distance Diplomas. The reason is, computers and hackers are getting better. IGC and the GNSS Flight Recorder Approval Committee in particular are on the job so that we can continue to use electronic FRs. Having processed badge claims using photo evidence, smoked a few Winter barographs, and developed a lot of film at contests, I'm happy they're on the job for us and that we can still use legacy recorders. They did a great job on the High Altitude FR's that Perlan needed for its records on very short notice.

Lest you think I'm on the committee, I'm not, and that I'm totally happy, no. I think there should be only 2 approval levels - all Badges and Diplomes, and all flights including World Records. Having FLARM/PowerFLARM - the most common FRs - not eligible for Distance Diplomas is problematic. When I finished my Diamond Badge - using my PowerFLARM - having to get another FR to do a 750 really bothered, and bothers me today. It would encourage more people to get FLARMs, and that would make each of us safer. It shouldn't be that way. One man's opinion.

Hopefully this will make this a short pre-Northern Hemisphere winter thread.. Have a nice day.

Dan
a club Senior Official Observer
Old October 21st 19, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the clarification Dan. A way to solve the problem while not making the vast majority of us older-gear-running guys buy new gear is to have a simple rule. Anyone found to be submitting a fraudulent claim should be banned from any further olc or badge/record claims as well as being banned from any contests. That would stop the deal right in its tracks.

I do have sights on national records and have an oudie igc so I am semi ok but I still like the other older recorders better since I know the proceedures for uploading n downloading tasks on them well.
Old October 21st 19, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 11:58:08 AM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:

Having FLARM/PowerFLARM - the most common FRs - not eligible for Distance Diplomas is problematic.

Dan
a club Senior Official Observer

Yep. I remember being an early adopter of PowerFLARM in the US (placing my order and money long before anything got here) because I was told it WOULD be approved for "all badges, all records, all levels". I was more than a little disappointed when I found out it wasn't. But, life moves on.

Steve Leonard

Old October 22nd 19, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Cavagnaro

Couldn’t agree with you more.... why punish the innocent ... why increase the cost of flying gliders when the numbers are shrinking! unity the person not the recorder.

DC
Old October 22nd 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 3:07:22 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 11:58:08 AM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:

Having FLARM/PowerFLARM - the most common FRs - not eligible for Distance Diplomas is problematic.

Dan
a club Senior Official Observer

Yep. I remember being an early adopter of PowerFLARM in the US (placing my order and money long before anything got here) because I was told it WOULD be approved for "all badges, all records, all levels". I was more than a little disappointed when I found out it wasn't. But, life moves on.

Steve Leonard

Mine was 00169, first tranche in Canada. Still amazing to download a big igc file in seconds, vs my bulletproof but painfully slow Volkslogger (calculating key...)
Old October 22nd 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There was at least one incident years ago where a single pilot flew with two recorders and submitted the same flight to the OLC and it was scored for two different clubs. I don't know whether this has happened since, but the OLC isn't as strict about recorder use as the IGC simply because the "fun" status of OLC scoring is not as important as getting an FAI approved record.. For that level of recognition, cheating should be heavily punished.

As far as the downgrading of "legacy" flight recorders goes, I can understand it, although I do not necessarily agree with it. "Hacking" a FR IGC file is reprehensible, and should be not only discouraged by banning the "hacker" from all future record attempt claims, but the widespread publication if the cheater's name and the flight circumstances. This would be subsequent to careful analysis of the evidence by the IGC and the offender's National Aero Club (NAC).

Requiring an equipment upgrade is costly to the majority of users who have no intent of ever cheating. Perhaps it is overkill, but I am not knowledgeable enough to make recommendations. Is it possible to upgrade some models of currently used recorders through firmware updates?

Old October 22nd 19, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dennis Cavagnaro wrote on 10/22/2019 7:00 AM:
Couldn’t agree with you more.... why punish the innocent ... why increase the cost of flying gliders when the numbers are shrinking! unity the person not the recorder.

How many pilots will give up their world record dreams because their old flight
recorder can not be used for world records? Can't they sell their old recorder,
add a few hundred dollars, buy a new logger, and continue pursuing their world
record dreams? Having the right glider, and being in the right place at the right
time, seems far more costly and difficult than obtaining a suitable logger.