Garmin 496 Training

Old November 16th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Doug[_1_]

Default Garmin 496 Training

Jay, live weather is NOT trivial. And for all your griping about
Garmin's lack of innovation, they were the innovator on that one (for
handhelds). Early on cockpit too. And they did it RIGHT (satellite to
plane, NOT ground antennae to plane like King did it).

I don't think anyone else does satellite to plane weather, EXCEPT
Garmin, do they?

Old November 17th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Sam Spade

Frank Stutzman wrote:
In rec.aviation.ifr Sam Spade wrote:

My Garmin 195 has full IFR approaches. Garmin figured out later that
wasn't a good idea.

I turned the old thing on. It has one fix prior to the FAF, which is

usually (but not always) the IF. The Garmine 295, and onward only have
the FAF (and runway ot MAP).
Old November 17th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Sam Spade

Doug wrote:

Jay, live weather is NOT trivial. And for all your griping about
Garmin's lack of innovation, they were the innovator on that one (for
handhelds). Early on cockpit too. And they did it RIGHT (satellite to
plane, NOT ground antennae to plane like King did it).

I don't think anyone else does satellite to plane weather, EXCEPT
Garmin, do they?

You mean for handhelds I guess. There are several vendors piping NEXRAD
for MFDs.
Old November 17th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Jay Honeck

I don't think anyone else does satellite to plane weather, EXCEPT
Garmin, do they?

You mean for handhelds I guess. There are several vendors piping NEXRAD
for MFDs.

Palm/pocket/tablet-PC versions abound. I almost bought one of the
tablet PC versions at OSH, but the absurd price tag (and fear of a hard
drive crash at altitude) scared me off.

We pilots are apparently just too small a niche market for the other
main players in the market (Lowrance, AvMap) to jump aboard. It's
frustrating, but understandable.

But don't get me wrong -- weather is a wonderful tool to have on board,
and the 496 is a fine piece of equipment. What I hate is that it could
easily be made perfect, with just a few minor tweaks, but (I'm guessing
here) Garmin apparently wants to keep the box small enough to use as a
dashboard automotive GPS -- which precludes making the changes
necessary to turn it into a truly useful aviation GPS. (It really IS a
fantastic automotive GPS. I am truly, 100% satisfied with it in that
mode. Unfortunately, that represents about 5% of my usage, to date.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 17th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Ray Andraka

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Jay, I'm still trying to figure out where you'd put a bigger screen in
Atlas? I find there isn't enough clearance between my lap and the yoke
on my Six to put it on my lap. Anywhere else obstructs instruments or
windows. That's why I like my Garmin III pilot. It's nice and small,
and I have it mounted on top of the glarshield in the horizontal
position so that it is in my scan, yet not obstructing anything on the
panel, and where it is the only view it blocks is that of the long nose
of the Six. The 396/496 when I get around to getting one will have to
find a spot on my panel...I think I can fit it under the center stack
above the throttle and prop controls...maybe. Nothing bigger is going
to fit anywhere.

Before I bought the III-pilot (I bought it the week it was announced), I
bought a Garmin 195. I tried it out for a couple flights, but just
couldn't find a spot where it could live where I could still see crucial
stuff on my panel (yoke was out, couldn't see the DG or TC with it
there, too big to put on the panel between the Loran and the engine
controls, no room on my lap, blocked half the sky on the glareshield,
etc. So the next day Garmin announces the III-pilot, so I returned the
195 and got that instead. Small has it's virtues.
Old November 17th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Doug[_1_]

Yes, but are they SATELLITE to receiver weather? Does any other vendor
use the XMradio satellite weather data?

Old November 17th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Jim Burns

Doug,
help me understand your question. Are you discounting the portable
PDA/notebook/laptop combinations that use XM Weather and saying that only
Garmin has a portable dedicated GPS unit that also displays XM Weather?
Jim

oups.com...

Old November 17th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Morgans[_2_]

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, but are they SATELLITE to receiver weather? Does any other vendor
use the XMradio satellite weather data?

Yes.

Old November 17th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Jay Honeck

Jay, I'm still trying to figure out where you'd put a bigger screen in
Atlas? I find there isn't enough clearance between my lap and the yoke
on my Six to put it on my lap. Anywhere else obstructs instruments or
windows.

I flew for years with the AvMap -- easily twice the screen size of the
496 -- on my yoke. Here's a picture of it, installed:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U54D246D6 (The old Lowrance Airmap 300,
pictured on the co-pilot's yoke, is long gone, too...)

The AvMap DID block some of the lesser instruments. I would have to
look around it a bit to see two of the four fuel gauges, and the tach.
But the "sacred six" were all unobstructed -- and flying behind that
huge color screen was just a joy. The 496's screen is very
restrictive in what it can show, by comparison.

Size matters.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 17th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.products
Gig 601XL Builder

"Morgans" wrote in message

oups.com...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../fl210True.php