Hey Jay! (yet another EKP-IV vs 2000C question;))

Old July 10th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Default Hey Jay! (yet another EKP-IV vs 2000C question;))

Hey Jay,

Searching back in the forums a bit, I've seen you waxing ecstatic
about both the EKP-IV and the Lawrence 2000C, the lawrence 2000 more
recently, but I think I missed if and or why you switched?

My father and I are getting ready for our Trip to AK, and we've
decided a good Handheld GPS in the plane is an absolute must. We're
currently trying to figure out if its worth springing 2x more for the
EKP. We're both resolution junkies, and one of the things I like
about the EKP is that it with its higher resolution, its a better
'chart replacement' (of course they'll still be in the aircraft and
used for planning, its just its awfully slow and awkward to use them
in flight) than the 2000C.

Any comments? I'm sorry if this has been posted and my searches just
missed it (EKP-IV group:rec.aviation.*)

Old July 10th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Any comments? I'm sorry if this has been posted and my searches just
missed it (EKP-IV group:rec.aviation.*)

If you're really into resolution, you cannot beat the AvMap. I miss
mine every day. It's bright, clear, large, and is incredibly
readable, even in direct sunshine.

Unfortunately, in '06 we were flying with the AvMap III and the
Lowrance Airmap 2000c, one on each yoke. When we wanted to upgrade
to XM weather, we opted to go with the Garmin 496 -- which meant one
of the other two had to go. It didn't make much sense to keep the old
(out of production) AvMap III, so we sold it and kept the (more
modern, but not as nice) Lowrance 2000c.

In the end we ended up "panel-docking" the 496, so we *could* have
kept the AvMap, and had THREE portable GPS's in the plane -- but I
s'pose that's a bit of overkill...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 10th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

On Jul 10, 8:39 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Ahh, ok, I had missed that you had a EKP-III (this was one of our
lower-end alternatives, but yeah, I'm not sure about the whole 'soon-
to-be-out-of-production' thing.

The one thing that still gives me pause is that it seems that Lawrence
is doing a much better job supporting the 2000C than Avmap is (new
features released regularly)... That said, having the more useful
product to begin with is certainly a more appealing option.

Oh well, choices choices I'll certainly post a pirep whichever way
we end up going.

Old July 10th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
texasflyer

The Lowrance 2000C is by far the most GPS value for the dollar you can
get right now.

Several online resellers have them in the ~$700 price range right
now. (e.g. pilotshop.com = $699)

The only thing that disappoints me about the Lowrance units is that
private airstrips are not included in their Jepp database, but it's
not a show stopper for me.

Airmap 2000C ??? Tri-Pacer Owning 2 April 25th 07 02:46 AM
Lowrance 2000C ??? Tri-Pacer Owning 40 April 21st 07 03:12 AM
Lowrance 2000C ??? Dave[_5_] Piloting 10 April 21st 07 03:12 AM
AirMap® 2000C Kai Glaesner Piloting 1 August 6th 04 02:24 PM
AirMap® 2000C Kevin Black Piloting 0 August 4th 04 11:10 AM