Marine fighter pilots?

Old October 9th 03, 07:27 AM
Navin R. Johnson

Default Marine fighter pilots?

I rented The Great Santini the other night and was surprised to find out
that the Marines had fighter pilots. I thought the only USAF and Navy had
the fighter pilots.

Old October 9th 03, 07:47 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message
I rented The Great Santini the other night and was surprised to find out
that the Marines had fighter pilots. I thought the only USAF and Navy had
the fighter pilots.

Well........., on a good night at the O Club at Pax, if we were sure no
Marines or Air Force types were present at the bar, (and if we had enough to
drink, even with some of them present :-).......this opinion just MIGHT have
come up once in a while!!! :-)))
Seriously through, some of the finest fighter pilots I've known in my
somewhat dubious career were Air Force and Marine drivers.
The Marines most certainly do have fighter pilots, and some damn good ones
at that!!

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old October 9th 03, 08:40 AM
Guy Alcala

Dudley Henriques wrote:

"Navin R. Johnson" wrote in message
I rented The Great Santini the other night and was surprised to find out
that the Marines had fighter pilots. I thought the only USAF and Navy had
the fighter pilots.

Well........., on a good night at the O Club at Pax, if we were sure no
Marines or Air Force types were present at the bar, (and if we had enough to
drink, even with some of them present :-).......this opinion just MIGHT have
come up once in a while!!! :-)))
Seriously through, some of the finest fighter pilots I've known in my
somewhat dubious career were Air Force and Marine drivers.
The Marines most certainly do have fighter pilots, and some damn good ones
at that!!

Dudley, I think there's a more than decent chance that you've being trolled.
After all, the original poster has chosen as his Nom de Usenet the name of Steve
Martin's clueless title character in "The Jerk".

Guy

Old October 9th 03, 11:38 AM
Cub Driver

Depending on how you define "fighter pilot," there were at least three
Marines in the American Volunteer Group Flying Tigers.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 9th 03, 12:11 PM
JDupre5762

I rented The Great Santini the other night and was surprised to find out
that the Marines had fighter pilots. I thought the only USAF and Navy had
the fighter pilots.

A very good movie. The Marines have had fighter pilots probably since WW1 and
certainly since the 1920's. Marine fighter pilots were very effective in WW2.
Look up names like, Foss, Boyington, Bauer, Hanson, Carl and Smith.

John Dupre'
Old October 9th 03, 02:42 PM
ddd

Marines don't have fighter pilots. They have mud movers.

Old October 9th 03, 03:52 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:

[...]

Saw that movie; actually saw both of them. I really enjoy Steve Martin's
work. He's a "very..... funny guy" :-)
Apparently he has other talents too. Just last week I was astounded to find
out that he's one of the country's premier 5 string banjo players. I heard
him play on the radio without knowing who was playing, and I swear I thought
it was Earl Scruggs. Man, THAT was Bluegrass!!! :-)
Dudley

Old October 9th 03, 05:30 PM
Navin R. Johnson

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:

[...]

i wasnt trying to be a smartass. i honestly didnt know.

Old October 9th 03, 05:32 PM
Navin R. Johnson

"JDupre5762" wrote in message
I rented The Great Santini the other night and was surprised to find out
that the Marines had fighter pilots. I thought the only USAF and Navy had
the fighter pilots.

A very good movie. The Marines have had fighter pilots probably since WW1

and
certainly since the 1920's. Marine fighter pilots were very effective in

WW2.
Look up names like, Foss, Boyington, Bauer, Hanson, Carl and Smith.

John Dupre'

i had forgot about the Black Sheep Squadron.

Old October 9th 03, 07:15 PM
Marc Reeve

Dudley Henriques wrote:
"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:
[...]

Yeah, he's an amazing banjo player for someone who describes it as a
"hobby". I dare say he could go pro without much difficulty.

-Marc

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is