Another terrible loss

Old August 25th 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

Default Another terrible loss

Another very sad day for gliding. Bummer.
Telluride plane crash kills 2, including pilot and well-known Telluride local "Glider Bob" Saunders. #telluridecrashhttps://t.co/DJhxIM0wRS
— San Miguel Sheriff (@SheriffAlert) August 25, 2016

Bob had a starring part in the recent video Cloudstreet- Soaring the American West.

Old August 25th 16, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 10:02:42 PM UTC-4, Bob T wrote:
Another very sad day for gliding. Bummer.
Telluride plane crash kills 2, including pilot and well-known Telluride local "Glider Bob" Saunders. #telluridecrashhttps://t.co/DJhxIM0wRS
— San Miguel Sheriff (@SheriffAlert) August 25, 2016

Bob had a starring part in the recent video Cloudstreet- Soaring the American West.

We are diminished.

Dan
Old August 25th 16, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

wrote:
Another very sad day for gliding. Bummer.
Telluride plane crash kills 2, including pilot and well-known

Telluride
l=
ocal "Glider Bob" Saunders. #telluridecrashhttps://t.co/DJhxIM0wRS
=E2=80=94 San Miguel Sheriff (@SheriffAlert) August 25, 2016
=20
Bob had a starring part in the recent video Cloudstreet- Soaring

the
Amer=
ican West.

We are diminished. =20

Dan

Sad pictures.. Below the tree line, and well below the mountain tops.
I would venture to guess it was a pretty steep impact. Possible
incapacitation? Hopefully, he was running a glide computer / logger
where the NTSB can look at the flight log...

https://twitter.com/SheriffAlert/sta...733377/photo/1
?
utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=SheriffAl ert&utm_co
ntent=768617983765733377

Old August 25th 16, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 8:02:42 PM UTC-6, Bob T wrote:
Another very sad day for gliding. Bummer.
Telluride plane crash kills 2, including pilot and well-known Telluride local "Glider Bob" Saunders. #telluridecrashhttps://t.co/DJhxIM0wRS
— San Miguel Sheriff (@SheriffAlert) August 25, 2016

Bob had a starring part in the recent video Cloudstreet- Soaring the American West.

One of the nicer guys you could meet in this sport. Bob did my ad-on 25 years ago when he was still flying at Val-Air in Durango. Bob was working on a SEL Ad-on and was flying a Luscombe along with his L-13. Huge loss for Soaring.
Old August 25th 16, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Damn. I was hoping to fly with him some day. He will forever be immortalized in Cloudstreet.
Tailwinds...

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old August 25th 16, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

I am terribly saddened. Awful accident. Frightening.

I have always referred friends, business associates and anyone who showed interest in soaring to this operation for many years now (Usually Telluride and Minden are my go to recommendations). I simply told them that Telluride is extraordinarily beautiful from the air, that the Stemme S10 is a state of the art self launching sailplane and that GliderBob was experienced and very well respected. I told them that this was easily one of the best (if not the best) soaring experiences available in North America. I know of many who took my advise and bought sailplane rides from GliderBob for themselves, their girlfriends, wives and family when visiting Colorado. Several were rewarded with what they described as "the flying experience of their lives" and took photos and videos during their flight that became very special to them. Occasionally, I recieved a note from friends thanking me for the great recommendation. They always seemed to really like GliderBob and his manner.

I just told a good friend about Telluride soaring maybe a few weeks. And I was considering buying a ride myself and in a few weeks time as I visit Colorado annually.

So in that way I feel very saddened by this accident. Even more than usual..

Hopefully someone can replace the Telluride soaring operation someday and keep soaring available to the public in that absolutely beautiful area. I'm sure that is what Bob would wish for...

Sean

Old August 25th 16, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

GB was my friend, former roommate and exceptional man who was so good to my dying father, in his last couple of years. To say that everyone knew Glider Bob in Telluride is an understatement. He was so involved in the community and was so likeable - this is, truly, the loss of one of the good ones.
Old August 25th 16, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 12:42:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
GB was my friend, former roommate and exceptional man who was so good to my dying father, in his last couple of years. To say that everyone knew Glider Bob in Telluride is an understatement. He was so involved in the community and was so likeable - this is, truly, the loss of one of the good ones.

Damn, Damn, Damn ...

Tim EY (Former operator of Steamboat Soaring Adventures - S-10VT)
Old August 26th 16, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I met Glider Bob in '97 when he gave me a Stemme demo ride. We met in the middle flying into Ely, NV from opposite directions. Must'a worked as I joined the Stemme owners shortly thereafter. A couple of years later, Mark Arnold, who was the US Stemme dealer then, hosted four CA Stemme pilots on safari at his house in Telluride, Glider Bob led us on a great tour of the town the following day, as winds were too strong for flying. Great hosts and memories to treasure. I can't picture Bob without his infectious smile, pleasant manner, and always willing to help with any owner's questions. Sad to say goodbye my friend.

Old August 26th 16, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

GB was a friend all the way back to my hang gliding days in T-town, starting in 1979. Great fun, great laughs with him, "Captain Jack" Carey (also unfortunately deceased), JCB, Jim Lee, Larry Tudor, Hugh Sawyer, J.R. Nershi, Paul Horrigan, Dave Stansfield, Jim Zeiset and the multitudes of glider drivers who had the privilege of flying in that special place. I was happy to have been a part of the "Cloudstreet: Soaring the American West" video production, and I now hope that many other people who never had a chance to meet "Glider Bob" will see the video and learn a little bit about him.

R.I.P. buddy. This one (and the next flight) are for you.

Yet another loss Roy Clark, \B6\ Soaring 3 September 1st 15 01:45 AM
Another loss. [email protected] Soaring 3 August 27th 15 12:29 PM
NZ loss Ian Cant Soaring 4 February 28th 09 05:59 AM
Early winter weather, night flying and a terrible accident Longworth[_1_] Piloting 8 November 25th 07 02:19 AM
Strange loss Denny Owning 7 February 1st 06 04:11 AM