motorgliders as towplanes

Old March 22nd 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Metric Hardware ( was Aerodynamics of Towing)

On Mar 21, 7:12*pm, The Real Doctor wrote:
On 21 Mar, 23:35, Tech Support wrote:

Don't bitch.The P-51, with Merlin engine, had one set of tools for
engine and another set for airplane. That was back in 40's (WWII) )
Crew chief carried two bags when he went to work on bird.

The Citroen 2CV came with two (I think, may have been three) spanners
which allowed you to do anything up to and including a full engine
rebuild.

Ian

The P-51, however, at least had the excuse of being a wartime
project. GM, Chrysler, and (I assume) other US automakers don't have
that going for them. They really do need to pick a standard and stick
with it.
.... and I can do everything short of a bottom end rebuild or tranny
rebuild on my 36 year old BMW motorcycle with the tools in the stock
tool kit plus a torque wrench.
Old March 22nd 09, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default aerodynamics of gliding

That is a VERY good reference!!!

Mike Schumann

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:28:59 -0700, The Real Doctor wrote:

Incidentally, if you don't have a copy of "An Album of Fluid Motion" by
Milton Van Dyke, get it. You'll love it. Every gliding club should have
one.

Another recommendation:

http://www.av8n.com/how/ gives a good description of how an aeroplane
works. A lot of it is similar to "Stick and Rudder", so its written for
pilots rather than aircraft designers. However, section 3 has excellent
descriptions and diagrams showing how a wing works. It was recommended to
me by a professional aerodynamicist who is a model designer and has flown
gliders.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old March 22nd 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:01:33 -0700, The Real Doctor wrote:

On 21 Mar, 20:18, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:01:23 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:28:59 -0700, The Real Doctor wrote:

Incidentally, if you don't have a copy of "An Album of Fluid Motion"
by Milton Van Dyke, get it. You'll love it. Every gliding club
should have one.

Here's a link to animated visualizations of the flow past a
wing:http://www.av8n.com/irro/- click the flag of your favored language
to see the visualizations.

I've never really liked that Joukowski transform stuff. The arbitrary
definition of circulation worries me, and anyway no real wing behaves
anything like that. It's a fair way of visualising the flow, roughly,
but I prefer to jump straight into circulation theory and model my wings
as vortices.

You're way beyond me there. I can choose suitable, matched wing and tail
sections for competition free flight models, which requires some
understanding of Rn effects and the usual section performance diagrams
and data. I also know a little about the use of turbulators and tip
shapes. As I've ended up with decently performing and stable, flyable
models I must be doing something right. However, thats as far as I go.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK