Soaring high over Marfa, Texas

Old April 23rd 04, 02:57 PM
Burt Compton

Default Soaring high over Marfa, Texas

Dick Johnson's April Wave Camp saw altitudes in thermal to wave of over 20,000'
msl and Rolf Siebert of Canada flew a couple of 500 km flights. We had 24
sailplanes visit us for 9 days from Virginia, New York, California, Arizona,
Colorado, Oklahoma and east Texas. Bob Wander was our guest instructor for
those wanting to upgrade their soaring techniques.

Don't wait until next year - come fly with us this season! Enjoy our west
Texas mountain scenery, big skies, BBQ and fine hospitality.

We are now open year-round, but the really strong soaring has begun this week
at Marfa. 16,600 msl in my Open Cirrus (11,500' agl). Bill Snead is here,
flying cross country tasks in preparation for this summer's racing season.

Lee Johnson is flying with me in the Blanik L-23 for a week, learning how to
handle the strong thermals and dust-devils on aerotow, as well as acquiring
cloud-reading and thermaling skills.

Marfa airport is nearly 5,000' msl, so summer temps are not as hot as many
folks imagine. We're on a high grassy plateau surrounded by mountains.
Bring your sailplane - soar the site of the 1970 World Soaring Contest and
where "The Sun Ship Game" was filmed.

We'll show you a good time!

E-mail me at
for files on "Pre-Marfa Projects" for your sailplane and trailer,
accommodations and attractions in the Big Bend area of west Texas.

Burt & Kathie Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.FLYGLIDERS.com
(800) 667-9464