Removing 100LL Fuel Stain

Old September 11th 05, 03:44 PM
Jeff

Default Removing 100LL Fuel Stain

I have a composite airplane (a Dragonfly MK-IIH) and have a stain from 100LL
on the side of my fuselage that I would like to remove. On the way to
AirVenture this year I fueled up in the morning and left the aircraft parked
on the hot ramp for the rest of the day. When I returned the next morning I
had some very ugly blue streaks running down the side of my fuselage. I
thought I had left enough expansion space, but obviously I did not.

The stained area on the fuselage has a urethane foam core and the paint is
Emron. Any suggestions on how to remove the stain without destroying the
paint or foam core?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old September 11th 05, 06:15 PM
john smith

In article ,
"Jeff" wrote:

I have a composite airplane (a Dragonfly MK-IIH) and have a stain from 100LL
on the side of my fuselage that I would like to remove. On the way to
AirVenture this year I fueled up in the morning and left the aircraft parked
on the hot ramp for the rest of the day. When I returned the next morning I
had some very ugly blue streaks running down the side of my fuselage. I
thought I had left enough expansion space, but obviously I did not.

The stained area on the fuselage has a urethane foam core and the paint is
Emron. Any suggestions on how to remove the stain without destroying the
paint or foam core?

Take a clean rag, dip in some fuel and rub the affected area.
Old September 12th 05, 02:32 PM
stol

Good Luck.. The Imron on my 801 got stained and I have not been able to
remove it by using more fuel and rubbing. I swear the 100 LL has a more
potant dye in it these days. You would think Dupont would have
fomulated the paint to resist stains from avgas. After all it is an
aircraft paint . !!!!

Old September 12th 05, 05:52 PM
RV9

I have a composite airplane (a Dragonfly MK-IIH) and have a stain from

100LL
on the side of my fuselage that I would like to remove.

The stained area on the fuselage has a urethane foam core and the paint is
Emron. Any suggestions on how to remove the stain without destroying the
paint or foam core?

I have also had great success using Simple Green. Since you are not using it
on aluminum, the non-aviation version should be fine. This is my first
choice cleaner to remove gas stains.

MEK or Acetone will also work, but are quite harsh and may dammage your foam
core if it seeps in via some cracks. Should not dammage your paint though.
I've used it on Imron a couple of times.

Old September 19th 05, 02:18 AM
Jeff

I have tried Simple Green and more 100LL and neither really did any good. I
will try some acetone next.

Jeff

Old September 19th 05, 02:29 PM
stol

Imron is a different type of paint. The concept is that as it dries it
creates a skin on the top layer, kinda like pudding gets. This skin is
what is supposed to protect the color from fading, give it the shine it
has and other stuff. Obviously it didnt work in your case and mine.
Acetone,MEK and other solvents will attach Imron and dissolve it. I use
it to clean my paint gun after spraying. I guess it is possible to just
get a rag lightly moist with acetone and lightly rub the stain. My
guess it will remove the top layer and after it evaporates there will
be a dull spot left. If ya try it please post your results.

Ben Haas
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com

Old September 19th 05, 11:35 PM

I sprayed MEK on my carb and forgot about it dripping on the nose gear
wheel pants. The polyurathane clear coat fell off.

Jim

Old September 20th 05, 08:45 PM

Unleaded auto gas will work. Slow, but it works.

Only thing I've found. Bill Hale