Clarke sandblaster gun - moisture?

Old August 7th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Clarke sandblaster gun - moisture?

I came upon a Clarke sandblaster gun, filled it with abrasive, ran the
pressure up to 100 PSI and tried it out. this is a syphon type blaster
that looks a bit like a paint sprayer.

I know when spraying paint folks advise you to have something in the
line to dry the air. Is a dryer necessary if I'm spraying abrasive?

Has anyone had results they were please with using a sandblaster gun?
- Mike

Old August 8th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Aug 7, 2:39*pm, Michael Horowitz wrote:
I came upon a Clarke sandblaster gun, filled it with abrasive, ran the
pressure up to 100 PSI and tried it out. this is a syphon type blaster
that looks a bit like a paint sprayer.

I know when spraying paint folks advise you to have something in the
line to dry the air. Is a dryer necessary if I'm spraying abrasive?

Has anyone had results they were please with using a sandblaster gun?
- Mike

What part of the world are ya in ??? Florida or some tropical place
with the relative humidity that's close to taking a shower then I
would install a dryer in the airline. If you are in Arizona, with 110f
air and 4 % humidty then the part will never rust/corrode.. G

Ben......
Old August 8th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R.S.

What I do is have a small dryer with a male and female quick disconnect that
I snap in line ahead of the gun when painting or using a sandblaster. You
can pick these up for less than $10 at Princess Auto( Canadian version of
Harbor Freight)
Nothing worse than just about finishing a great paint job and have a drop of
condensation sprayed over it!
When sandblasting one drop of water can get the sand clogged or put little
rust spots on bare steel. Disconnect the dryer and keep it in a plastic bag
so it won't soak up moisture from the surrounding air when not in use..
Bob

Old August 8th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Michael Horowitz wrote:
I came upon a Clarke sandblaster gun, filled it with abrasive, ran the
pressure up to 100 PSI and tried it out. this is a syphon type blaster
that looks a bit like a paint sprayer.

I know when spraying paint folks advise you to have something in the
line to dry the air. Is a dryer necessary if I'm spraying abrasive?

Has anyone had results they were please with using a sandblaster gun?
- Mike

From my past experiences in NE Ohio and Western PA, in the summer, with
both siphon guns and pressure systems for abrasive blasting, you need
good moisture traps and perfectly dry air. They will plug with damp
abrasive. I have owned various models of both types of systems and
currently use a pressurized tank blaster.
Old August 8th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Michael Horowitz wrote:

I know when spraying paint folks advise you to have something in the
line to dry the air. Is a dryer necessary if I'm spraying abrasive?

Yes.

Get the big, all-metal jobber from HF. It has a drain for any trapped
water. Set you back $20 or so, but I have it bolted to the side of my
compressor cart. The instances where you want water droplets in your
compressed air are few and very far between.
Old August 8th 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Ernest Christley" wrote

Get the big, all-metal jobber from HF. It has a drain for any trapped
water. Set you back $20 or so, but I have it bolted to the side of my
compressor cart. The instances where you want water droplets in your
compressed air are few and very far between.

To the OP:

I made a homebuilt water trap, that seems to get the lion's share of the
water and moisture out of the air before it can get to any desiccant type
air dryer. Beware that a small desiccant will be wet and change color and
be used up very quickly at the high airflow that sandblasting requires.

Get a 6 foot length of 1-1/2" steel pipe, (or bigger, and bigger could only
work better) and an assortment of fittings, to adapt it to a configuration
like the following. You want to pipe your air supply into the bottom of the
pipe, which will be used straight up and down. You will want to put the air
into the pipe with a T fitting, so the air will be going into the T and
traveling upwards, but a few inches lower than the T will be a reservoir
area of a few inches of pipe and a drain petcock to remove accumulated
water. I also put a quick disconnect on the inlet and the outlet to make it
handy to hook up.

After the air enters, it will travel upwards, but pretty slowly which will
tend to let water drop out of suspension. Because it is in a big piece of
steel, the air will also cool and condense and let more water drop out, and
run down the pipe to be collected and drained out the petcock at the bottom.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 8th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Plumbing your shop or hangar for compressed air is money well spent.
Use iron pipe, the size selected according to the run & volume. This
should be defined by your local building codes.

All runs should slope TOWARD the compressor. That is,any water would
have to run UPHILL to find an outlet.

Do not use copper nor plastic.

Blasting media is also subject to contamination by moisture. It
should be stored in air-tight containers. In the worse-case situation
it may need to be dried before it can be used, a hell of a mess
involving an oven and trays. For small parts you may wish to consider
tumbling rather than blasting.

-R.S.Hoover
Old August 8th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
Plumbing your shop or hangar for compressed air is money well spent.
Use iron pipe, the size selected according to the run & volume. This
should be defined by your local building codes.

All runs should slope TOWARD the compressor. That is,any water would
have to run UPHILL to find an outlet.

Yep, agree, completely. In my case, I need to be portable, so my iron pipe
cool-down trap is a good compromise.

Another point worth mentioning. If your shop air plumbing is overhead, and
it drops down to an outlet, don't use an elbow to turn out the line. It
will funnel any water condensed in the down-line, right into your air hose.
Instead use a T with a length of pipe below the outlet fitting, or even
better, make the air line do a U-turn, then come back up to the outlet, with
a drain at the low point.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 29th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 02:50:05 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

To the OP:

I made a homebuilt water trap, that seems to get the lion's share of the
water and moisture out of the air before it can get to any desiccant type
air dryer.

Done it. If all goes well (we're at 100% humidity at the moment), I'll
try it tomorrow PM. or at least during the holiday weekend - report to
follow - Mike

Old August 29th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ramsey

wrote:

To the OP:

I made a homebuilt water trap, that seems to get the lion's share of the
water and moisture out of the air before it can get to any desiccant type
air dryer.

Done it. If all goes well (we're at 100% humidity at the moment), I'll
try it tomorrow PM. or at least during the holiday weekend - report to
follow - Mike

If you get tired of your trap fill up, you can get one automatically drains
now at Grainger. I installed one two years ago, and haven't seen water in my
10 HP system since.