Cold Feet

Old March 9th 12, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Default Cold Feet

Has anybody had experience with these heated soles in a glider: http://gerbing.com/Products/insoles.php ? would it be better to get sock?

Some of these types of products have horrible reviews but these have good reviews on a retailer's website.

Most of the threads on heated socks are old and are about wave flying. My issue is that it’s often over 105 degrees F on the ground but after a few hours above 14k my feet get painfully cold and would like something that I can turn on later in the flight.

I’m thinking of powering these off a dedicated sealed lead acid battery as I think the newer batteries are risky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

Thanks,
Jim
Old March 9th 12, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Mar 8, 5:37*pm, Jim wrote:
Has anybody had experience with these heated soles in a glider:http://gerbing.com/Products/insoles.php* ? would it be better to get sock?

Some of these types of products have horrible reviews but these have good reviews on a retailer's website.

Most of the threads on heated socks are old and are about wave flying. My issue is that it’s often over 105 degrees F on the ground but after a few hours above 14k my feet get painfully cold and would like something that I can turn on later in the flight.

I’m thinking of powering these off a dedicated sealed lead acid battery as I think the newer batteries are risky: *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

Thanks,
Jim

I don't have much to say about socks, but my answer to cold feet,
which has worked for over a decade for me, is to put on a pair of
Sorel snow boots just before launch. My feet don't get sweaty in the
short time to get towed up and climb up to altitude, and my feet are
comfy the entire flight. I fly out west, where it can be hot on the
ground, but soar mostly in the high teens, where it is always cold. I
wear tennis shoes on the ground, and put them behind my seat just
before launch, as I change into the Sorels. I hear lots of folks
complaining about cold feet, and having to go down to thaw their feet
out. Many of them have now followed my lead, and are now comfy hi
fliers. (and No batteries needed)

Bob
Old March 9th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/8/2012 4:37 PM, Jim wrote:
Has anybody had experience with these heated soles in a glider:
http://gerbing.com/Products/insoles.php ? would it be better to get
sock?

Some of these types of products have horrible reviews but these have
good reviews on a retailer's website.

Most of the threads on heated socks are old and are about wave
flying. My issue is that it’s often over 105 degrees F on the ground
but after a few hours above 14k my feet get painfully cold and would
like something that I can turn on later in the flight.

I’m thinking of powering these off a dedicated sealed lead acid
battery as I think the newer batteries are risky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

These seem like the niftiest warmers, but I've not tried them. Wireless
and remote controlled.

email me)
Old March 9th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 3/8/2012 7:25 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 3/8/2012 4:37 PM, Jim wrote:
Has anybody had experience with these heated soles in a glider:
http://gerbing.com/Products/insoles.php ? would it be better to get
sock?

Some of these types of products have horrible reviews but these have
good reviews on a retailer's website.

Most of the threads on heated socks are old and are about wave
flying. My issue is that it’s often over 105 degrees F on the ground
but after a few hours above 14k my feet get painfully cold and would
like something that I can turn on later in the flight.

I’m thinking of powering these off a dedicated sealed lead acid
battery as I think the newer batteries are risky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

These seem like the niftiest warmers, but I've not tried them. Wireless
and remote controlled.

And adding the link!

http://www.thermacell.com/heated-insoles-foot-warmers

email me)
Old March 9th 12, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

I have used heated insoles in the UK – probably a different make –
supplied from a 12v battery. I needed to switch them on and off after a
brief period until really high and cold, as they got quite hot. Even at
very cold ambient I found that I only needed about a minute or two on at a
time, then off for longer.

I wear surgical boots, not easily replaced with commercial insulated
footwear, so for extra insulation I made some over-boots out of false fur,
which lace up. I put them on just before getting into the glider. It can be
a bit too warm low down, but I usually soon get to an altitude where they
are fine.

I bought some heated socks once, but they only heated the toe area – I
have bad circulation in one foot and need the whole foot to be warmed. The
insoles do that.

Chris N.

Old March 9th 12, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Mar 8, 5:37*pm, Jim wrote:
Has anybody had experience with these heated soles in a glider:http://gerbing.com/Products/insoles.php* ? would it be better to get sock?

Some of these types of products have horrible reviews but these have good reviews on a retailer's website.

Most of the threads on heated socks are old and are about wave flying. My issue is that it’s often over 105 degrees F on the ground but after a few hours above 14k my feet get painfully cold and would like something that I can turn on later in the flight.

I’m thinking of powering these off a dedicated sealed lead acid battery as I think the newer batteries are risky: *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlZggVrF9VI

Thanks,
Jim

I use Sorels with Venture ski boot insole 7.4 volt heaters. Work well
to keep my feet warm. Three heat settings. The Sorels would be fine
for just warmer flying, the insoles are only needed for winter
flights.
Old March 9th 12, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Thanks Eric, missed them in my search. Will try them although I'm a little concerned about the lithium batteries.

The boots sound good but I'm wearing climbing shoes to get my size 12 feet to fit in the pointy Schleicher nose.

Jim
Old March 9th 12, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Reed von Gal

Anyone ever try military surplus Bunny Boots? I think they are rated
to some ridiculously low temperature like -65 F and come with a
pressure release valve for high altitude flight. Seems like the
perfect "wave" boot. They are also linerless so I assume your feet
wont sweat on the ground like in Sorels. I always see them on Flying
Wild Alaska, a lot of people, including the pilots wear them. I saw a
few pairs at store here in CO and was thinking of picking some up.
Might be a little clunky for some gliders, but am sure they would do
fine in our 2-32 wave ship.
Old March 9th 12, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_2_]

At 09:33 09 March 2012, Reed von Gal wrote:
Anyone ever try military surplus Bunny Boots? I think they are rated
to some ridiculously low temperature like -65 F and come with a
pressure release valve for high altitude flight. Seems like the
perfect "wave" boot. They are also linerless so I assume your feet
wont sweat on the ground like in Sorels. I always see them on Flying
Wild Alaska, a lot of people, including the pilots wear them. I saw a
few pairs at store here in CO and was thinking of picking some up.
Might be a little clunky for some gliders, but am sure they would do
fine in our 2-32 wave ship.

I can also confirm that the Gerbing insoles work well.
Dave

Old March 10th 12, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Someone just walked into my garage wondering why it smells like burning rubber. Just preparing a couple of pairs of shoes for the season. As they come from the factory, they don't fit in the nose of the 27 very well. A 90 degree die grinder with 180 grit works well to perform the reshaping.
What kind of Sorel boots are people using? There are many, and most I wouldn't bother trying to fit in a glider.
But the ones with the big furry pom-pom on top...
Jim

the world at my feet mrshoe Piloting 0 July 21st 07 11:04 AM
Soaring without cold feet... Stewart Kissel Soaring 1 October 28th 06 02:50 AM
Oxygen above 20,000 feet O. Sami Saydjari Owning 36 June 19th 05 05:31 PM
gps to measure feet? brucrx Piloting 19 November 13th 04 03:33 AM
10,500 feet is way the heck up there! Jay Honeck Piloting 97 October 22nd 03 04:22 AM