2003 Ventus 2C for sale

Old May 26th 04, 07:03 PM
Thomas Knauff

Default 2003 Ventus 2C for sale

2003 Ventus 2C

Never flown other than factory test flight

18 meter tips

Blue tinted canopy

Two tow hitches

Tilt up instrument panel

Hydraulic Disc brake

Additiona battery mount

Fin battery

Fin ballast tank

Factory gap seals

Pneumatic tail wheel

Schroth seat belts

O2 mount

ILEC extended probe

Prandtl tube

Lead nose ballst weights

Tail dolly

Ground handling equipment

Flap climb/glide switch

PTT switch on stick

ILEC SN-10B

ILEC SB-9

Microair radio

Microair transponder

Altimeter

Airspeed indicator

Compass

Cobra Trailer

Fiberglass top

Shock absorbers

Wing stand

Centrail rail extension

Hydraulic ramp jack

Tail strap

Carpet on floor

Solar Vent

Swing down supports

Jack and lug wrench

One man rigging

Dot equipment

Today's replacement cost $144,000

Represented by Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies

Old May 26th 04, 07:34 PM
Guy Byars

2003 Ventus 2C

Never flown other than factory test flight

Today's replacement cost $144,000

Gosh, for $144k I would at least expect a motor of some sort.

Old May 27th 04, 02:35 AM
Chris OCallaghan

Guy, a pretty silly comment given the current exchange rate. Let the
man sell his glider as he sees fit.

Old May 27th 04, 03:25 AM
Eric Greenwell

"Guy Byars" wrote in message ...

2003 Ventus 2C

Never flown other than factory test flight

Today's replacement cost $144,000

Gosh, for $144k I would at least expect a motor of some sort.

I don't think it's silly: it was exactly my thought, after comparing it
to the cost of a friend's motorglider purchase ($150,000) a few months
ago. Maybe our currency is weakening faster than we realize.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 27th 04, 06:01 AM
Greg Arnold

Today's replacement cost $144,000

Gosh, for $144k I would at least expect a motor of some sort.

I don't think it's silly: it was exactly my thought, after comparing it
to the cost of a friend's motorglider purchase ($150,000) a few months
ago. Maybe our currency is weakening faster than we realize.

$144,000 doesn't seem right. When the dollar was at its strongest, you
could get a '27 fully equipped for $75,000, and the V2c was only
slightly more expensive. The euro may be 40% higher now, but that
doesn't take the price to $144,000.

Tom must be looking at the motorglider price sheet.

Old May 27th 04, 04:37 PM
Michael Stringfellow

A reasonably well equipped new Ventus 2C with instruments and trailer should
be in the region of $120 k at current exchange rates. Maybe the extra $24k
is dealer markup!

There is a virtually brand new one for sale here in Arizona by a colleague
of mine for around $100k. Buy this one and you have an extra $40k with
which you could buy a quite nice spare glider!

Mike

ASW 20 WA

Old May 28th 04, 04:27 PM
Chris OCallaghan

You may think it, and you may know differently, but how would you like
someone taking pot shots at your "for sale" posting? Besides, the
seller only claimed a replacement cost, not a price. I've found that
unless you've bought a new glider, most pilots haven't a clue just how
expensive it really is. There are transport and insurance fees to get
the trailer to the factory (plus a fee for fitting the trailer to the
glider), the glider from the factory to the boat, from Europe to the
US, and additional fees to clear the port. In total these invisible
cost are substantial. Initial certification of the glider is not
cheap, that is, if you want it done in less than 6 months. I recently
received a factory quote for Ventus 2cx w/o engine, based on it the
"replacement cost" cited doesn't surprise me. A total cost of
acquisition might be closer to the low 130s, but that's not the point.
A brand new glider, well equipped delivered tomorrow (as opposed to 24
months from tomorrow) may be worth a premium. The price payed will be
determined by the buyer. So again, my question, why even comment in
the first place?

Is it open season? I've had some thoughts about models and claims I've
seen for sale on this board. My insights might be very valuable to
potential buyers, but I typcially save my thoughts for those who
contact me privately. Why? Because I'd prefer that others with equally
irrelevant opinions (as mine) not stifle my attempts to sell a glider.
Old May 28th 04, 04:52 PM
Marc Ramsey

Chris OCallaghan wrote:
You may think it, and you may know differently, but how would you like
someone taking pot shots at your "for sale" posting? Besides, the
seller only claimed a replacement cost, not a price.

I think many (myself included) are honestly in shock over the current
price of importing a new glider into the US. This "replacement cost" is
close to 3 times what I paid for a new competitive 15/18M ship just 3
years ago. Given that many of us (myself included) are now making
significantly less money than we were 5 or even 10 years ago, the notion
of buying a new glider at these prices has passed into the realm of
fantasy.

Anyone who continues to be able to afford these toys will not be
disturbed by these slightly anguished comments. But I, for one, don't
believe the sport will long survive in the US, if the cost of tows and
new gliders continue to rise at the rate they have been over the past
couple of years...

Marc
Old May 28th 04, 06:18 PM
Jack

Marc Ramsey wrote:

But I, for one, don't believe the sport will long survive in the US,
if the cost of tows and new gliders continue to rise at the rate
they have been....

There are plenty of gliders around. The sport will survive without regard to the
availability of uber-models, if we develop a program for introducing new (young)
people to the sport.

Learning to fly in a glider is an excellent way to learn to fly and relatively
inexpensive. As there are new US-built powered aircraft coming on the scene, the
development of new US sailplane designs promises to solve the performance v
cost equation favorably.

As you say, Marc, those who can afford the most expensive ships are not
affected. They are also not the ones we should be looking to for reinvigoration
of the sport.

Jack
Old May 28th 04, 06:58 PM
Marc Ramsey

Jack wrote:
There are plenty of gliders around.

The price of new gliders affects all of us. If a significant portion of
those who would normally buy new gliders stop, then they don't sell
their old ships, which means those who would have traded up to the newer
used gliders, hold on to their older used gliders, etc., ultimately
raising the price of a smaller number of decent lower cost gliders that
end up on the market. The only relief is provided by those who stop
flying all together, essentially requiring the sport to contract to
remain viable.

Marc