Flying with Parachutes

Old November 5th 18, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Monday, 5 November 2018 04:51:41 UTC, John Huthmaker wrote:
Figured I'd update everyone on this. I took the plunge maybe 2 months ago and purchased a used parachute. Its a Softie Mini. The gentleman saw this post and reached out to me directly. By pure coincidence he is a former member of the flying club I am flying with.

The day that it arrived (back home), I was over in the UK for work. I found a very cool glider club not too far from where I was staying. They let me join the club for the day (well month technically) and I got to do two winch launches. It was really good fun. But they all flew with parachutes, and let me use one they had at the club. They mentioned the lighting strike incident being the primary reason everyone in the UK uses them. Honestly I dont really get why you wouldnt. They're not really uncomfortable.

When I got the parachute the log showed it had only been repacked twice. The first at the factory and then one other time. Its about 16 years old or so, and hadnt had a repack in over a decade. But it looked/looks basically brand new. I flew with it the first chance I could figuring it was better as is than none at all. But at the end of that day I took it for its 3rd ever repack. I just picked it up today and went out with it again.

I'm very happy I made the purchase. In fact I plan to go back in to flying power planes, and eventually build myself an RV7. If/when that happens, I'll get an extra one for a passenger to use.

Most people in the UK were using parachutes long before the Dunstable incident. Without a parachute a great many people don't fit well into many gliders as the seat pans take wearing a parachute into account. This isn't the case with many older wood designs.
Old November 6th 18, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 5 November 2018 06:51:41 UTC+2, John Huthmaker wrote:
[...]

My parachute's repacking interval is 8 months, some have only 6 months. You got to do it more often, canopy fabric needs to dry out completely annually, rubber bands holding the lines become fragile etc.
Old February 12th 21, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

I'm curious if there's a rigger anywhere around the Vero Beach to Palm Beach area. If you have contact information as well that would be great. Obviously I only want to use a certified packer.

I know this is a long shot and the answer is probably a glaring "no", but are there parachutes for children or small adults? Or, better way to ask: what is the smallest person a parachute that is made for by the major brands such as Softie, National, etc? I'll handle the mental capacity aspects of this situation. I've already begun speaking with them about it.

My 8 year old asked me "Dad, why don't you wear a parachute?" I told him I will when I get the airplane (came with 2 chutes). I also told him I wouldn't wear it if I'm flying with him. He looked confused and asked why not. "If something happened that I needed to bail out while flying with you, I would not bail out and leave you. I will never leave you." He gulped. I think he got it. He got it so far as an 8 year old could get it. We talked some more about it being fun but also very serious. I think he got it. He isn't big enough for a parachute yet, but I sure want to get whatever DOES exist for when he gets big enough to fit one. So what's out there? I'll deal with the capacity issue as it can be handled.

Thanks everyone.
Old February 12th 21, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 6:06:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Most of the parachute industry is in FL. If it can be done someone in FL can do it. How much flying are you actually going to be doing with your kid? Might be sensible to fly without the parachutes and take the risk. I'd guess the risk of not having a parachute isn't that much greater than the risk of an eight year old failing to successfully use a parachute if one was needed.

Old February 12th 21, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

Agreed, and that's why I was not inquiring about his mental capacity and just focusing on the physical sizes for now.

It's not just my 8 year old. I have a 10 year old as well, and they're growing like weeds in many ways. They will eventually be ready to wear one mentally and physically, so I'd like to have a chute for them when those two things collide.... see what I did there? They will likely be my #1 passengers.. They are great aviators so far. They are fantastic doing the sim stuff, and really good at our club. My 10 year old outsoared me and I still haven't beaten him. They're really good, and that's coming from a biased 10,500 hour pilot who daily gets to witness other pilots abilities. For their age they're ahead of the curve (obviously I'm biased there). Whether it's natural or paternal doesn't really matter. I just want it to be there when they can fit in one, and by that time, I'd imagine they will be mentally ready to be trained to use one as well.

So what size of a person will smaller chutes fit? And what are some manufacturers who could take this question more accurately? I'd like them being equipped when they are mentally and physically ready. If the equipment is there and they see it and fit into it: One day they will be mentally ready as well. Or maybe the other way around will happen first. And that's what I'm trying to find out.
Old February 12th 21, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 7:14:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Give Strong enterprises a call and give Rigging Innovations a call. They can build small harnesses, kids that age do tandems outside of the USA, but there is an issue of going much smaller than the backpack. Possible to fall out of an oversized parachute harness butt first, rare, but it happens once in a while. Also the parachute can be built with some adjustability, might not be enough to cover all of their growth but should get you a few years. I'd plan on putting a static line to the glider as well.
Old February 12th 21, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

There was a midair between an ASK-21 and towplane in Canada a year and a half ago. The towplane made it back to the runway. Sadly, the instructor and student made no attempt to use the chutes they were wearing. You won't have the time to brief a bailout at 2000' AGL. Best done on the ground.
Old February 12th 21, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 7:30:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
There was a midair between an ASK-21 and towplane in Canada a year and a half ago. The towplane made it back to the runway. Sadly, the instructor and student made no attempt to use the chutes they were wearing. You won't have the time to brief a bailout at 2000' AGL. Best done on the ground.

Jbl, if you're just trying to find a local rigger check the Sebastian and Clewiston drop zones. Chuter's in DeLand is great, but Lake Wales and Dunn Airpark would still be closer.
Old February 14th 21, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

Jbl, if you're just trying to find a local rigger check the Sebastian and Clewiston drop zones. Chuter's in DeLand is great, but Lake Wales and Dunn Airpark would still be closer.

Thank you SGS. I will do that!
Old February 14th 21, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jason Leonard

Give Strong enterprises a call and give Rigging Innovations a call. They can build small harnesses, kids that age do tandems outside of the USA, but there is an issue of going much smaller than the backpack. Possible to fall out of an oversized parachute harness butt first, rare, but it happens once in a while. Also the parachute can be built with some adjustability, might not be enough to cover all of their growth but should get you a few years. I'd plan on putting a static line to the glider as well.

Thank you Greg for the reply and direction. Yes a static line seems logical for nearly all of us. Dave Nadler’s “bailout” near fail seems like an excellent argument for all of us. After his story of being 1 second to impact when he luckily pulled the D ring is a solid reason to do it for both of us. Between that and his Spot not being stitched to the parachute straps...

It *would* be my luck that I’d be jumping out of my beloved glider and get knocked out. So a static line is happening for everyone who rides and it’ll be setup so we can step out, then turn and unhook, that way we train our brains how to get out every single time. Big benefit is it takes care of my boys being physically capable of pulling the D ring. If they can get out: there is hope. That’s what I’m looking for. Thank you!

Jason
“JL”

Looking for parachutes. Bruce Soaring 0 September 4th 08 10:08 PM
Why I have parachutes Joaquin Home Built 1 September 3rd 06 03:31 AM
Parachutes again [email protected] Soaring 31 February 26th 05 10:53 PM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Home Built 3 October 9th 03 12:33 AM
Parachutes Rodney & Becky Aviation Marketplace 0 October 8th 03 04:20 AM