IFR vs. VFR along the east coast - a long pilot's log

Old July 26th 05, 02:48 PM
Maule Driver

Default IFR vs. VFR along the east coast - a long pilot's log

We did a roundtrip this weekend from Durham NC to Saratoga Springs NY
and back. Went IFR on the way up and VFR on the way back.

Conditions on the way up were primarily VFR with convective storms.
Even though I filed a route to avoid the DC ADIZ, I was routed through
it in order to miss the restricted area at Aberdeen. I stopped at
Kutztown to eat and fuel. I filed to avoid a convective sigmet over the
Catskills but was cleared for a route directly thru it. I decided to
look but it soon became clear that my original route was the right path.
Seems to be a great deal of reluctance for ABE approach to coordinate
with NY. ABE and everywhere else seems slow after NY... Albany
approach gave us accurate storm avoidance information and we enjoyed the
lightening picket line to our left as we rounded the last storm and
landed at Saratoga - minutes before storm gusts started to blow. Less
than 15 mins in IMC but critical to remaining high and otherwise visual.

The forecast back home was hard VFR and I really wanted to fly as
straight as possible and hopefully do it in one leg. Decided not to
talk at all and simply work out the routing as we went. THis turned out
to be a lot of map work but to my surprise, I could virtually go direct
PXT and home. The winds were variable but favorable so we cruised at
9,500. I climbd up to 10,500 after encoutering some chop I sensed was
some kind of windshear that could mean better speeds higher up. I
gained 10 knots at 9,800 feet so the climb paid off with up to 30 knots
of tailwind.

It felt illegal and wrong flying without radio contact including over
the top of Phillie Class B. I tuned all the right freqs and heard
myself called out several times. No one had any real problems but an
unknown VFR target is a real liability. Despite ground radar and TCAS,
I don't think a single airliner ever saw us even though I easily spotted
them. I don't think we'll be doing that again.

Great weekend and flight. Very satisfying use of the plane and the
airspace.
Old July 26th 05, 02:54 PM
Jose

It felt illegal and wrong flying without radio contact including over the top of Phillie Class B. I tuned all the right freqs and heard myself called out several times.

You could have just told them where you were and confirmed your
altitude, then you would no longer be "unknown" VFR. Thus they know who
to call you out to, and who not to bother with. You're out of their
airspace, so they shouldn't try to vector you, and you can decline anyway.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Old July 26th 05, 04:37 PM
Gary Drescher

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
om...
We did a roundtrip this weekend from Durham NC to Saratoga Springs NY and
back. Went IFR on the way up and VFR on the way back.

Sounds like a fun trip!

It felt illegal and wrong flying without radio contact including over the
top of Phillie Class B. I tuned all the right freqs and heard myself
called out several times. No one had any real problems but an unknown VFR
target is a real liability.

As long as you were tuned in anyway, why not just ask for flight following?

--Gary

Old July 26th 05, 04:56 PM
Maule Driver

No reason other than novelty. I haven't made a no FF or non-IFR trip in
a long time.

Next time, I will use FF if for no other reason than just out of
courtesy to other pilots. "VFR I'm talking to" is a lot better than
"unknown VFR".

Old July 26th 05, 05:30 PM
Guy Elden Jr

No reason other than novelty. I haven't made a no FF or non-IFR trip in
a long time.

Next time, I will use FF if for no other reason than just out of
courtesy to other pilots. "VFR I'm talking to" is a lot better than
"unknown VFR".

Another reason would be to get continuous altimeter updates...
especially important on long x-countries where you may be a hundred or
two feet off after a few hours.

--
jr

Old July 26th 05, 05:45 PM
Gary Drescher

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message
oups.com...
No reason other than novelty. I haven't made a no FF or non-IFR trip in
a long time.

Next time, I will use FF if for no other reason than just out of
courtesy to other pilots. "VFR I'm talking to" is a lot better than
"unknown VFR".

Another reason would be to get continuous altimeter updates...
especially important on long x-countries where you may be a hundred or
two feet off after a few hours.

Yup, though another option for that purpose would be to tune in to a nearby
ATIS or ASOS/AWOS, or to ask FSS or EFAS during a weather-update request or
a PIREP.

--Gary

Old July 26th 05, 06:20 PM
Ron Natalie

Gary Drescher wrote:
"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message

Yup, though another option for that purpose would be to tune in to a nearby
ATIS or ASOS/AWOS, or to ask FSS or EFAS during a weather-update request or
a PIREP.

Or I punch FIS, right button twice, and then pick up the closest METAR
on the list on the MX20.
Old July 26th 05, 08:32 PM
Gary Drescher

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Gary Drescher wrote:
"Guy Elden Jr" wrote in message

Yup, though another option for that purpose would be to tune in to a
nearby ATIS or ASOS/AWOS, or to ask FSS or EFAS during a weather-update
request or a PIREP.

Or I punch FIS, right button twice, and then pick up the closest METAR on
the list on the MX20.

Nice option if you've got it.

--Gary

Old July 27th 05, 02:01 PM
Maule Driver

Believe me, an accurate altimeter setting is easy if you listen to the
radio. I can look up a close by approach or center freg using NRST on
my Garmin 300XL. I generally just listened to Center on this particular
flight because I was flying at 9 and 10K. Plenty of altimeter updates
there. Not a problem.

Old July 27th 05, 03:07 PM
Peter R.

Maule Driver wrote:

Believe me, an accurate altimeter setting is easy if you listen to the
radio. I can look up a close by approach or center freg using NRST on
my Garmin 300XL. I generally just listened to Center on this particular
flight because I was flying at 9 and 10K. Plenty of altimeter updates
there. Not a problem.

But are those altimeter settings you heard and used applicable for your
particular location?

In my experience, a center frequency typically covers a large area, one
that conceivably could have multiple altimeter settings depending on an
aircraft's location. With an approaching high or low pressure, the
difference in altimeter settings within that center's airspace could be
significant.

As a "lurker" to the frequency, one wouldn't necessarily know where the
receiving aircraft was located and, therefore, might use an incorrect
altimeter setting.

--
Peter