Another reason to fly yourself

Old December 15th 05, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another reason to fly yourself

"American Eagle said Thursday it will charge $1 each for a can of soda
and a bag of cashews on flights into and out of Los Angeles next month."

Old December 15th 05, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

I've always wondered... Why is it, everytime we jump on an airline,
for even a short one or two hour hop to a fairly close destination, we
are suddenly starving??? I'm guilty myself! I get in my seat, enjoy
my window-seat view of the take-off, and start looking for that food
cart to come around!!!

It's not like going to the movies... You can bring whatever you want
to eat on the plane, as long as it is within reasonable carry-on limits
and can't be used as a weapon!

Old December 15th 05, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

I think its because the food distracts you from the other
unpleasantries associated with flying by Greyhound.

Old December 15th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

LOL! ...Can't hear that two-year old screaming behind you if you are
vigorously crunching pretzels between your teeth!

Old December 15th 05, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Paul kgyy wrote:

"American Eagle said Thursday it will charge $1 each for a can of soda
and a bag of cashews on flights into and out of Los Angeles next month."

Hmmm.. most FBOs I visit charge $1.25 or more for soda. Looks like
American Eagle is a good deal. ;-)

--
Peter
Old December 15th 05, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

I've always wondered... Why is it, everytime we jump on an airline,
for even a short one or two hour hop to a fairly close destination, we
are suddenly starving???

In my case, it's because as a boy I was spoiled by flying on a Boeing 707
back in the early 1960s.

If I close my eyes I can still see it. Beautiful and friendly stewardesses
wearing Jackie Kennedy pillbox hats, white gloves, and serving real cuisine
on actual china plates, with real SILVER silverware. The gray-haired
captain sitting in his cockpit like a modern-day god, door wide open,
telling the flight engineer to step aside and let me through to see all the
instruments...

So, on the exceedingly rare occasions when I must suffer in the executive
mail tube, I start to salivate at the memory -- only to be handed some
triscuits...

I managed to catch the tail end of elegant train travel at that age, too.
When you contrast those days with the Russian Aeroflot model we've come to
emulate (just think -- we used to make fun of them!) since then, it is to
weep.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 15th 05, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Peter R. wrote:
Paul kgyy wrote:

"American Eagle said Thursday it will charge $1 each for a can of soda
and a bag of cashews on flights into and out of Los Angeles next month."

Hmmm.. most FBOs I visit charge $1.25 or more for soda. Looks like
American Eagle is a good deal. ;-)

Right. There are lots of good reasons to fly yourself, but cost isn't
one of them. Not by a long shot.

Old December 15th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

I worked, for a couple of years for a company that had a couple of
Beech 1900's it used to shuttle employees from one of it's facilities
to another... I'm nearly 6'2" and I had to bend completely forward to
walk through the cabin of this plane to take my seat, and still hit my
head half the time. Once we got to altitude (although we were only
going to be there for a few minutes, in most cases), the pilot would
slide a cooler, back down the aisle of the cabin. There would be
pastries and soft drinks, followed by a coffee thermos and foam cups.
Each row would grab their treat of preference and contiue sliding the
cooler and thermos backwards, down the aisle. Not quite the china
experience that you recall... ;-)

The cool part was, the wide open cockpit door... I would watch the
pilot and co-pilot going through all of their checklists, and stare
attentively out the front window as we broke through the marine layer
to land at SJC, runway lights a-flashing! I would love to be able to
land a gig like that!

Best Regards,
Todd

Old December 15th 05, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Well said Jay, a lot of us have been there and done that back in the days
that commercial flying was a sheer pleasure.
You should start a new thread on "In the good old days" and they were only a
few short years ago in many parts of the world.
Roy