Post-assembly or Pre-launch checks

Old January 30th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Post-assembly or Pre-launch checks

Today I got a reminder of how important it is to perform a positive
control check after each assembly.

My sailplane, a Grob102 just returned from a maintenance facility.
After assembly, I pushed over to the line with the help of one of my
fellow co-owners. I asked for his assistance in performing a positive
control check. We then discovered the Rudder and Aileron controls had
been swapped! Yes, move the stick and the rudder waggled. Move the
rudder pedals and the ailerons were operated. After many un-repeatable
words about the mental abilities and parentage of the A&P, we pushed
the plane off the line to get things right again.

The good news is, the problem was discovered before N123KG was dinged
or destroyed. I am thankful my instructor hammered into my head that I
would someday be an owner and that I must remember the positive control
check after assembly.

Now to mail off a bill to the repair shop for the mechanic's time to
get the plane right today.

Keep 'em flying,

T-rex in Arizona

Aerotow with Diesel engine? Olfert Cleveringa Soaring 44 November 2nd 04 10:22 AM
Vandenberg Launch, April 17 Piloting 5 April 9th 04 02:21 AM
Ground launch and the incremental vanishing of soaring Mark James Boyd Soaring 24 March 8th 04 10:50 PM