Quiet Vent

Old July 29th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Quiet Vent

Ron (RW) wrote:
Some months ago, I read a post from a John Morgan, Minden NV. He was
developing a gadget that was to diminish noise from the clearvision
panel vent. I think he called it the Quiet Vent. Any further word on
his venture? Any contact info? THNX Ron W (RW)

To add a bit to the other posts here, John is an inveterate tinkerer
and was rumored to be close to winning the prize for the Stemme factory
adopting 100 of his suggestions when he sold his Stemme for an ASH26E.
More seriously, I can vouch that John is in this for the fun of helping
others. At $5 or $9 each there's no way money is the motivation.

That said, it might help to describe the QV. It's a piece of flexible
plastic with adhesive on one end that makes a smooth curve on the vent
window, eliminating the turbulence of the sharp edges of the existing
vent. That should reduce noise and John made measurements on his ASH
that showed 10 dB reduction. On my Stemme, I'm not sure it's making
that much difference and I was supposed to do a test for John a few
days ago when I was up at Minden, but we got busy with other things and
the test will have to wait til next trip. John's concerned that the
lack of a good exhaust in the Stemme cockpit (it's pretty air tight)
may cause the QV not to work as well, hence the test.

BTW, all this thread is about QV's and the MK-2 yaw string is being
overlooked. I've had one of those for a while and love it. It replaces
the ugly tape with a small clear plastic diamond (again with adhesive)
and makes a beautiful ship just a little bit prettier.

As you can tell from the above, I'm a good friend of John's so you can
discount my comments as much or as little as you want. But if you talk
to the Stemme and ASH26E owners who have benefited from his many
innovations, you'll be grateful he became a soaring pilot.

Martin

Old August 1st 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron (RW)

On 28 Jul 2006 16:12:17 -0700, wrote:

Ron (RW) wrote:
[...]

Just received my QV today. Very quick shipment I'll be installing
it this weekend. Thanks, John RW
Old August 2nd 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P Ilatus[_1_]

hi
is this device removeable? we can't have permanently
fixed stuff on our planes here in europe without a
lot of hassle.

thx

Old August 2nd 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Yes, the QV (quiet vent) and also the MKII "high tech" Yaw String are both
removable. They are attached by first cleaning the canopy or vent plastic
with denatured alcohol, then are installed using a clear acrylic adhesive
that is pre-installed on the QV or MKII.

This adhesive has been weather tested for over two years of constant
exposure in the California sun . . . I wanted to be sure that there was
absolutely no chance of damaging expensive canopies. Removal is simple, pull
off the plastic QV, or MKII top layer, then use finger or thumb to "roll
off" the adhesive. It coves off clean, leaving no residue.

So, if your aviation authority would allow you to put a yaw string on your
canopy without a hassle, or affix a pen holder or other device temporarily
with double sided tape or Velcro, they should have no problems with either
of these.

all the best,
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Old August 2nd 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Bumper - I'm very concerned about the price,
being a glider pilot and therefore cheap by definition.
Do you offer volume discounts so we can equip our Duo ?
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Is the special yaw string also affixed at the rear
to improve my flying ?

bumper wrote:
The Quiet Vent kit has been re-designed. The new design provides the same 10
db noise reduction* as the original design. However it is more robust and
less "fiddly" to install.

To order, send $5 USD and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to:

John Morgan
194 Taylor Creek Rd.
Minden, NV 89460

Money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied (simply return QV).
Also, any original design QV that proves defective may be returned for a new
design QV at no charge.

* Noise reduction measured with the pop-out side vent fully open (this is
the vent in the sliding Mecaplex window) and was measured at pilot's head
level while at 60 knots in my ASH26E).

Also available, the MKII "high tech" yaw string. Clear turbulator base,
natural wool yarn - $9 USD.

Old August 3rd 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Dave,

You're not the first to complain, a number of pilots have taken issue over
the inexpensive price, I mean, "How could it be any good if it's so cheap?"
It's cheap because, even though it is made of high tech materials, it's
small and light weight. In fact, it's so light that if I charged much more,
purchasers might hunt me down and hurt me - - I'm basically a coward.

So to please those Duo owners who'd rather spend more, I've come up with a
special deal just for them - 2 for the price of 3 . . . wowser!!

I'm also working on an "always straight" option for the MKII Yaw String that
is sure to please even the most dead footed back seat Duo pilot. It keeps
the yaw string nicely centered no matter what you do with the rudder.

all the best,
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

oups.com...

Old August 6th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I think that I hurt myself laughing at that one! Unfortunately I need
that no-fault yaw string.

- John

Old October 29th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

With appologies to RAS . . .

Paul (last name unknown)

You've emailed me twice asking how to order a Quiet Vent kit. I've tried to
reply each time, but the email "from" address is rejected by my service
provider as "not valid within DNS". The email address also doesn't look
"right" to me, but I'm no expert and have no clue what that DNS message
means.

If you'd like to order a QV, send $5 USD and a SASE to:

John Morgan
194 Taylor Creek Rd.
Gardnerville, NV 89460

bumper

Old April 18th 18, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan, Thanks for rapid response ,I recommend these, I noticed the noise without it, also to Iain Baker in the UK who phoned me even more rapidly extra thanks, wow,Steve,
Old April 19th 18, 10:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Thank you for your kind appreciation of the Quiet Vent.

A lot of good people in soaring!

Due to a back injury, I removed the MKIV yaw string and Quiet Vent from distribution a few years back to try and reduce demand. Paul Remde, with none to sell back then, graciously left them up on his Cumulus website so his customers could order direct from me.

Still too busy. Fortunately, Sean, of Wings & Wheels, purchased the MKIV and QV business last year. Said he intended to make them available to other soaring distributers once he got things up and running. When he did that, I got a free sample - I told him I could not have made it better myself, excellent quality.

For me, the MKIV, QV, SRS (Smooth Ramp Sliders for Cobra trailer ramp), along with half a dozen other parts for Schleicher gliders, have been more hobby than business, a way to share. I am pleased they'll continue to be available as I back out gracefully, well not always so gracefully I guess.

Thank you all for the years of support (the first MKI yaw string was invented 20 years ago!).

Good soaring!

bumper

Tail Vent? jjcact Soaring 1 June 10th 05 03:10 PM
PIK20D vent hole machanism [email protected] Soaring 0 February 23rd 05 09:08 AM
Eye Ball Vent B. Iten Soaring 4 September 4th 04 09:38 AM
Finding vent hole in wing skin Martin Eiler Soaring 7 November 21st 03 02:44 PM
Any planes remotely quiet? Chris Hoffmann Owning 3 July 27th 03 06:13 AM