If your bored, think about this and notes about Ely, Nv.

Old February 3rd 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default If your bored, think about this and notes about Ely, Nv.

Add up your ten longest flights, you have made in your lifetime of
soaring, and then average them. I was on the phone today with Carl
Herold, IV, he just averaged his 10 longest flights, they averaged
699.4 miles.

699.4 miles (statute) is equal to 1,125.58 kilometers, ok, moving
along................

If your thinking of going to Ely, Nv. this summer, their are changes.
Due to homeland security, no more gliders or people are allowed in the
terminal/ ramp area, including the covered patio area. Also, the
concrete pads we used, are off limits. A new area, where we can keep
our rv's with our gliders, is mid-field and west of the main runway
18-36. A entrance to that area is a dirt road north of the main
terminal. You might want to stop, before you head over to the new area
and check in with Carl Herold, or call him, he's at El Aero.

They will have a new webpage shortly. He is now managing the glider
and tow operations. These changes are because of homeland security and
the new comuter airline serving the area. The new aera is good, as we
can be near our trailers, they also will have a 5,000 gal. water truck
for us, where our new area is at. Also, a new tie down cable is
installed, so if you wish to tiedown you can, and park right by your
glider. Its the old mid-field paved runway, running east to west, from
runway 18-36. When you now land, you will be able to taxi off the
active, and get on to our tiedown area. Their is a new airport
manager, I met him late last summer, and he seems interested in our
needs. Thats good.

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe, # 711 reporting.

Old February 3rd 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 2, 11:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

well ive got a whopping 8 cross countries under my belt for an average
of 95 kilometers. 2 were dual, one of those was only about 18 km,
that really dragged down the average. 7 of 8 resulted in off field
landings. one day was a short out and return for about 65 kilometers.
total distance comes out to 760ish kilometers.

Old February 3rd 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MaD

On 3 Feb., 07:13, wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:09 pm, wrote:

well ive got a whopping 8 cross countries under my belt for an average
of 95 kilometers. 2 were dual, one of those was only about 18 km,
that really dragged down the average. 7 of 8 resulted in off field
landings. one day was a short out and return for about 65 kilometers.
total distance comes out to 760ish kilometers.- Zitierten Text ausblenden -

- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

Who is your XC instrutor??? 7 out of 8 lets me wonder about his
abilities.

regards
Marcel

Old February 3rd 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Keep in mind that he is flying a Cherokee glider. It is a low performance
glider. Also, he's flying in Iowa, USA where there are many good landing
fields in the spring. I think it is great that he's going cross-country and
having fun!

Paul Remde

"MaD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old February 3rd 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I have a lot more respect for the young pilot who lands out 8 out of 8
times than the twirlybird who doesn't know what the terrain looks like
more than 5 miles from the field. Go Cherokee go!

My first flight at Ely was over 600km, my fourth one was 990km, my
shortest that week was ~500km ... and that was in a wing-loading
limited glider. Ely is just awesome!

2NO

Old February 3rd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 3, 9:50 am, "Tuno" wrote:
I have a lot more respect for the young pilot who lands out 8 out of 8
times than the twirlybird who doesn't know what the terrain looks like
more than 5 miles from the field. Go Cherokee go!

My first flight at Ely was over 600km, my fourth one was 990km, my
shortest that week was ~500km ... and that was in a wing-loading
limited glider. Ely is just awesome!

2NO

Thanks! Paul is right, my glider is not some hotshot 40:1 longwing
jobby where you dont have to worry about making it back to the
airport. And the landout options are good here in the midwest. Due
to the lowish performance of the glider, I almost always choose to fly
straight out with no intention of returning. This leads to quite a
high likelihood of landing out! If I wanted to make it back to the
airport I would just fly locally

And FWIW, my Cross Country CFIG was Matt Michael, and the training he
gave me was critical to my cross country success. our first flight
was that 10 mile 1.5 hr drifting with the wind in extremely weak
conditions. landed in a young soybean field. next was an 80 mile
triangle attempt that came up short and landed in a open field. The
training in off field landings was very important and Im actually very
glad that we did land out. Making it back to the airport wouldve made
the training a lot less valuable, IMO. If you ask me, this is how all
cross country training should be done. Doing a written test and
making landings at the airport without an altimeter is no substitute
for actually landing out, if you ask me.

Old February 3rd 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo Charlie

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Thanks for the update Tom. This is somewhat concerning to me since I don't
see this as anything but another excuse to treat the glider community as
second class.

On the one hand I like the idea of not having to worry about dealing with
the powered traffic on the ramp but wonder if they are not allowing any
powered pilots to operate off of the same area. Me thinks that the powered
guys have no change in their ops. This change would then be purely
discriminatory and bodes poorly for continued glider ops (other side of the
airport or not) at Ely.

I have a hangar (where three glider trailers are housed) at the 17th busiest
airport in the US (KDVT) and fly powered out of there as well. There is a
card controlled gate but there are no limitations re cars, aircraft type, or
people being on the tarmac where there are routinely multiple large bizjets
(G4's etc) on the ramp which is what I assume the paranoid fringe is worried
about someone taking. Maybe the new airport manager is from Boston? ;-)

Anyone that has been to Ely knows that the fence around it is not secure so
the idea of this type of restriction is a farce to begin with. I'm happy to
hide when the commuter flight is there but beyond that its simply
discrimination. I appreciate Carl's tenacity in dealing with it all.

Ely is a special place and it would be real shame to be pushed out of there.
As long as I can get a tow I'll be back every July!

Casey Lenox
conspiracy theorist
Phoenix

Old February 3rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And FWIW, my Cross Country CFIG was Matt Michael,

Oh great. Now everyone in the world knows who your looser instructor
was.

MM

Old February 3rd 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 3, 12:10�pm, "Kilo Charlie" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Phoenix- Hide quoted text -

Sometimes change can be better. Where we will be at, with the gliders,
we won't have power traffic blowing rocks and dirt all over us. Also,
the taxiway we will use to get our gliders staged, we needn't worry
about the power traffic taxing out. So, theirs maybe more good than
not. Even when you used the concrete pads, them big things with those
huge blades, called whirlybirds, golly greens, won't be near our area
when they come in to fuel and blow stuff all over us.
Growth does cause change, but overall I am glad they did think of us,
and it should be as good or better than it was. I do like the idea of
having my motorhome right their next to my trailer. After a Great
Basin flight in Ely, my old 27 would giggle at night, when she was in
her trailer, and I would seldom here her. Now, my 29 will be closer,
and I will be able to hear those giggle's more often.............

# 711.

Old February 4th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeremy Zawodny

Tuno wrote:
I have a lot more respect for the young pilot who lands out 8 out of 8
times than the twirlybird who doesn't know what the terrain looks like
more than 5 miles from the field. Go Cherokee go!

My first flight at Ely was over 600km, my fourth one was 990km, my
shortest that week was ~500km ... and that was in a wing-loading
limited glider. Ely is just awesome!

Let us know when you find a non-wing-loading-limited glider! :-)

Jeremy