Learning to fly in Europe?

Old July 17th 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Fielding

Default Learning to fly in Europe?

Hi all,

I'm going to be on a road tour of Europe in August (South of France,
Switzerland, Germany etc) and was thinking of stopping somewhere for a
week to do a gliding course.

My first question would be whether or not any training I do in Europe will
be valid back in the UK? The second would be if anyone can recommend
gliding schools in Europe as Google doesnt' return too many results.

Many Thanks,

Justin.
Old July 17th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Nyffeler[_2_]

Justin Fielding wrote:

Hi all,

I'm going to be on a road tour of Europe in August (South of France,
Switzerland, Germany etc) and was thinking of stopping somewhere for a
week to do a gliding course.

My first question would be whether or not any training I do in Europe will
be valid back in the UK?

You may have to ask the British Gliding Association Britisch for the
correct answer to this question.
www.gliding.co.uk

The second would be if anyone can recommend
gliding schools in Europe as Google doesnt' return too many results.

Because of the weather in August, I recomend you to go to south of
France.
Vinon, St. Aubin and Sisteron are soaring centers in the valle du
Durance. You find the webpages of them and other clubs in France on
www.ffvv.org/ouvoler.php

I wisch you big pleasure in the air
Peter Nyffeler (Y7 HB-1689)
Old July 17th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_3_]

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:41:44 +0000, Justin Fielding wrote:

My first question would be whether or not any training I do in Europe will
be valid back in the UK? The second would be if anyone can recommend
gliding schools in Europe as Google doesnt' return too many results.

If you're already a member of a UK club, ask your CFI's opinion.
If not, it would be a good idea to decide where you're likely to fly in
the UK, find out how they normally launch training flights (winch or
aero tow) and what type of trainers they use. Then use this to help you
choose where you fly in Europe.

If you match glider type and launch method with what your UK training
will be using you'll have less relearning to do.

www.gliding.co.uk has a club selection page that's useful for finding
clubs and what they fly.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

Old July 17th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Fielding

My local club would be the Kent Gliding Club. I did email them regarding
courses a few months ago but they never got back to me.

I have had a gliding experience day with them a few years ago which I
really enjoyed. They predominantly use winch launches and K21's for
training.

Old July 17th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Erik Braun

Hi Justin,

I can recommend the gliding school of Baden-Wuerttemberg gliding association
(BWLV) in Southern Germany near Schwaebisch Gmuend (airport named
Hornberg). Very nice folks up there and great soaring over the Alb.
http://www.segelflugschule.info

As to gliders: They have a brand new ASK-21Mi and a DuoDiscus as well as
several single seaters. You can be launched by winch, aerotow and by the
21's Wankel engine.

Have a nice vacation,
Erik.

Old July 17th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

Justin Fielding wrote:
My local club would be the Kent Gliding Club. I did email them regarding
courses a few months ago but they never got back to me.

I have had a gliding experience day with them a few years ago which I
really enjoyed. They predominantly use winch launches and K21's for
training.

Justin,

I think what you were really asking was, "Will any foreign gliding
course count towards the UK licence requirements?". The answer is yes
because there *are* no UK licence requirements - you are sent solo when
you are ready, whether you've flown 5 hours or 500, and the only hours
requirement is before you can gain your Bronze certificate - this is
some way ahead, and in any event it's solo hours that count, not
training hours.

Don't forget to keep a record of your foreign flying, ideally signed off
by the instructor, and paste it into your UK log book when you get one.
Your UK instructor will want to see what you did, and any good
experience will be part of your training, never fear.
Old July 17th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Claudia Buengen[_2_]

Here's a list of all clubs and schools in Germany:

as a map:
http://www.segelflug.de/karte/d_karte.html

sorted alphabetically:
http://www.segelflug.de/segelflug_de.html

and a list of all sorts of clubs in continental Europe:
http://www.segelflug.de/segelflug_eu.html

Claudia

Learning to fly GB Piloting 19 July 17th 07 09:40 AM
Learning to fly Larry Dighera Soaring 20 July 17th 07 08:12 AM
Learning to fly... JohnWN in Burke, VA Soaring 7 October 25th 04 01:09 PM
Learning To Fly? John General Aviation 2 June 20th 04 01:53 PM
Re-learning IFR Jim Instrument Flight Rules 9 November 25th 03 08:38 PM