Glider books or movies?

Old November 10th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Default Glider books or movies?

Are there any good stories (books & movies, fiction or nonfiction)
which include a lot of glider flying?

A book about cross country gliding would be perfect... a documentary,
etc.

Thanks
-tom

Old November 10th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Nov 10, 9:15*am, vic20owner wrote:
Are there any good stories (books & movies, fiction or nonfiction)
which include a lot of glider flying?

Tom -

There are a bunch of glider DVDs out there. Many are old but still
entertaining. My favorites (which focus on glider competition) a
"A Fine Week of Soaring" and "Gladiators of the Sky"

Both are relatively new and are high-quality. "A Fine Week..." talks
a little bit more about the basics of soaring while also covering a
casual competition in the hills and ridges of Pennsylvania.
"Gladiators..." is more of an adrenaline-ride / suspense-story with 3d
animation and high-definition aerial videos from cockpits and
helicopter-mounted cameras capturing the competitors screaming through
the rugged & beautiful New Zealand landscape (with commentators
explaining the strategy and tough decisions the pilots are having to
make).

There are many books about soaring - but I've found that many of the
fictional ones are mediocre (sorry to any authors I may offend by
this). Instructional books like those from Bob Wander or Knauff &
Grove tend to be excellent, but aren't "stories" per-se. I'm sure
someone else can jump in and suggest a few in particular, though.

It would help if you could tell us a little bit more about your
interest and/or experience-level... Can you share any more details?

Good luck! Take care,

--Noel

Old November 10th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

On Nov 10, 2:09 pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

Hi Noel, thanks for the reply. I'm new to real life soaring. I am 37
and have been flying r/c gliders for 15 years, and am on my third
lesson in the real thing. Over the weekend I worked a little on the
tow, turns, and landings in a Blanik L23. It was a lot of fun and of
course now I can't stop thinking about flying.

I was looking for something entertaining to read in between reading
the glider flying handbook and the test prep book. Something which is
more of a documentary or story, history or fiction ... it could be
about gliding, or just a story about learning to fly (in general) from
childhood through adulthood, etc. But gliding of course would make it
even most interesting for me at the moment.

-tom
Old November 10th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

On Nov 10, 2:09 pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Nov 10, 9:15 am, vic20owner wrote:

Are there any good stories (books & movies, fiction or nonfiction)
which include a lot of glider flying?

It would help if you could tell us a little bit more about your
interest and/or experience-level... Can you share any more details?

Hi Noel, thanks for the reply. I'm new to real life soaring. I am 37
and have been flying r/c gliders for 15 years, and just completed my
third lesson in a Blanik L23. Over the weekend I worked a little on
the tow, turns, and landings. It was a lot of fun and of course now I
can't stop thinking about flying.

I was looking for something entertaining to read in between reading
the glider flying handbook and the test prep book. Something which is
more of a documentary or story, history or fiction ... it could be
about gliding, or just a story about learning to fly (in general) from
childhood through adulthood, etc. But gliding of course would make it
even most interesting for me at the moment.

Thanks,
-tom
Old November 10th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tom,

I sell a lot of glider books and videos. You can see them he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com.

Feel free to give me a call and I can give you my 2 cents on which are my
favorites. I list my favorite soaring books on my books page. I try to add
a lot of value by giving my opinion of each book and video - especially my
favorites.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 10th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 10, 3:47*pm, vic20owner wrote:

I was looking for something entertaining to read in between reading
the glider flying handbook and the test prep book. *

Anything by Gren Siebels, Mike Bird (aka Platypus), George Moffat,
Philip Wills or Joe Lincoln. See your favorite on-line glider supply
merchant.

-T8
Old November 10th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"vic20owner" wrote in message
On Nov 10, 2:09 pm, "noel.wade" wrote:

Hi Noel, thanks for the reply. I'm new to real life soaring. I am 37
and have been flying r/c gliders for 15 years, and am on my third
lesson in the real thing. Over the weekend I worked a little on the
tow, turns, and landings in a Blanik L23. It was a lot of fun and of
course now I can't stop thinking about flying.

I was looking for something entertaining to read in between reading
the glider flying handbook and the test prep book. Something which is
more of a documentary or story, history or fiction ... it could be
about gliding, or just a story about learning to fly (in general) from
childhood through adulthood, etc. But gliding of course would make it
even most interesting for me at the moment.

Tom,

You might want to add "10,000 Feet & Climbing - The Aviation Adventures of
Richard E Schreder" by his daughter Karen Schreder Barbera to your list of
books.
(http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Sc...ook_Review.htm)

It can be purchased from most places that sale soaring books. (SSA website,
Cumulus-Soaring, Knauff & Grove Soaring Supply, etc.)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old November 11th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you can get a DVD copy of The Sun Ship Games you will enjoy perhaps
the greatest soaring film ever made.
Old November 11th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Nov 10, 10:15*am, vic20owner wrote:
Are there any good stories (books & movies, fiction or nonfiction)
which include a lot of glider flying?

A book about cross country gliding would be perfect... a documentary,
etc.

Thanks
-tom

I have a fondness for
'New Soaring Pilot' by Frank Irving and Ann Welch
Classics include "Sunship Game", "Dawn Flight", and "The Boy Who Flew
with Condors" (only recently available on DVD). A short DVD called
"Out & Return" is a good example of the day in the life of the glider
pilot and recruiting tool.

There are some good YouTube productions and examples also.
See the About Soaring sections at http://www.coloradosoaring.org

Frank Whiteley

Old November 11th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_4_]

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:47:28 -0800, vic20owner wrote:

Hi Noel, thanks for the reply. I'm new to real life soaring. I am 37
and have been flying r/c gliders for 15 years, and just completed my
third lesson in a Blanik L23. Over the weekend I worked a little on the
tow, turns, and landings. It was a lot of fun and of course now I can't
stop thinking about flying.

I was looking for something entertaining to read in between reading the
glider flying handbook and the test prep book. Something which is more
of a documentary or story, history or fiction ... it could be about
gliding, or just a story about learning to fly (in general) from
childhood through adulthood, etc. But gliding of course would make it
even most interesting for me at the moment.

Here are a number of suggestions.

----stories about flying. The books in this section are all quite
old, so you'll need to look in used bookstores, etc. None are
particularly rare, so try Alibris (www.alibris.com) or Amazon
used books. Volmar and Georgeson are fairly recent but may be
hard to find.

Dick Wolters: Once upon a thermal
- this first hand story covers the time from when he started to
fly through his first contest win, from the mid 60s to early 70s.

Philip Wills: On being a Bird
- another first-hand story, starting with learning to fly, one of
the first UK cross countries, gliding above the channel to test
radar in preparation for the Battle Of Britain, and through to
winning the Worlds in 1952.

Joe Volmar: I learnt to fly for Hitler
- the SSA may have copies. Joe was born American to German parents.
His dad took the family back to Germany in 1940 and Joe returned
to America in 1951. In between he tells how it was to grow up in
wartime Germany and learn to fly gliders with the Hitlerjugend.
I found it a fascinating book, since his viewpoint is all-American
kid than German boy.

Dick Georgeson: Leading Edge
- an autobiography. Dick got the first Gold Badge issued in NZ
and pioneered long distance wave flying. He worked with Bill
Hamilton when jet boats were being developed by Bill.

----the above are all just stories, so on to marginally more
technical stuff. Everything in this section is in print
except "Winning".

Martin Simons: Sailplanes 1920-1945, Sailplanes 1945-1960,
Sailplanes 1960-2000
- As you have an RC soaring background, you may know these books already.
They have great 3-views and photos and talk about the development
of sailplanes rather than concentrating on competitions and
pilots. They are big, coffee-table style books published by Eqip
in Germany.

George Moffat: Winning
- The original leads up to him winning the 1970 Worlds at Marpha
though it also talks about learning to fly. I have the 1st edition
and haven't seen the recently updated Winning II yet.
Lots of good advice interspersed with anecdotes.

Wolfgang Langewiesche: Stick and Rudder
- primarily aimed at power pilots, but still very good for its
pilot's eye descriptions of what an aircraft does and how to fly it.
Published in 1945 and never out of print.

Derek Piggott: "Beginning Gliding" and "Gliding"
- I read these when I was learning to fly and like them a lot.
I don't know what the American equivalents might be.

Tom Bradbury: Meterology and Flight
- weather from a pilot's viewpoint. It seems to be slanted more
toward gliding than power flying.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK