Super fast assembly and launch...

Old November 16th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_2_]

Default Super fast assembly and launch...

On 15 Nov 2008 23:00:07 GMT, Nyal Williams
wrote:

Funny coincidence; the use of the English word bier in this connection.

John, offer a German a swig of Scottish Mist and see what happens, Mist
being a German word for dung.

And toss in a nice Gift...

rj
Old November 16th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z Goudie[_2_]

At 23:00 15 November 2008, Nyal Williams wrote:

John, offer a German a swig of Scottish Mist and see what happens

Don't know why anyone would want to bottle Scottish mist. Generally
cold, dank and nasty stuff.

Charlie Ross, one of the pioneers of Scottish wave soaring, carried a hip
flask of good malt whisky to stave off the cold at height. Said it
reduced his oxygen flow requirement too.

What would the self appointed Soaring Safety Police make of that I wonder?

Old November 16th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 23:00 15 November 2008, Nyal Williams wrote:
My guess is
that a PCC was done in that interlude and you have all been fooled by a
cinematographer's trick.

I wondered about that myself. Then again, if that's true,
then aren't they lying to us about how fast they got from
trailer to launch?

Jim Beckman

Old November 16th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 23:49 15 November 2008, Tim Ward wrote:

So, granted that they didn't do a PCC, what minimum time after

assembly
should they have waited before launching in order to be safe?

If they intend to go ahead and fly without doing a PCC after
assembly, then there's no reason to wait. I think we would
all prefer, however, that they not do this in front of any
students that might be on the field.

Jim Beckman

Old November 16th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 23:49 15 November 2008, Tim Ward wrote:

So, granted that they didn't do a PCC, what minimum time after

assembly
should they have waited before launching in order to be safe?

Actually, on the field where I usually fly, in a situation
like this where a glider has just been assembled, either
the tow pilot or the guy running the line would ask the
PIC if the PCC had been completed. He could go ahead
and lie if he felt like it. OTOH he could have waited. All
afternoon.

Jim Beckman

Old November 16th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

They could rationalize that stopping the clock for a PCC was not cheating
because the rigging/launching program did not proceed during the timeout.

Old November 16th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

They claim 1 minute, 40 seconds. In the video, it is 37 seconds from
the time the lady says 'go', to the time the winch starts spinning.
It's pretty reasonable to expect a PCC was done sometime during the
missing minute, but this 'stunt' was edited and narrated with 'Joe
Average', not 'Joe Glider Pilot' in mind. A PCC would look like so
much wasted motion to people who don't fly. It would be a different
video if it were edtited and narrated by Mr. Knauff. You and I might
like it better, but the general public? Not so much.

Old November 16th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Archer

Agree with Uncle Fuzzy and Bruce.

And it appears to be one of the safest assemblies I've seen. I'd have
taken the tow, if there was lift.

And I've been waiting 40 post for someone to point out one detail...
Where did the trailer go? This is evidence that there is more to it than
the video shows. It may not even be the same assembly/launch, not that
I'm doubting it was done in the time claimed. Camera right is the only
option for the trailer and it seems strange to take it that way. And I
bet they still did not do a PCC on this autohookup glider, and gosh, it
worked out OK this one time. On the other hand, it would only add a few
seconds to do it with a crew so attentive to detail.

Surprised again at how quickly some can take the fun out of a post, and
presumably soaring as well. There have been llllloooooonnnnnnggggg
discussions about PCC procedures on here before, and much of that was
dribble anyway.

I'm for safety!

Old pics - new scans - Super Etendard from 17 Flotille about to launch from Foch Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 14th 08 12:09 PM
Saturn IB S-IB Stage Thrust Structure Assembly at Michoud Assembly Facility 6974931.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 11th 07 02:45 AM
Saturn IB S-IB Stage Thrust Structure Assembly at Michoud Assembly Facility 6973027.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 11th 07 02:45 AM
Saturn IB S-IB Stage Assembly at Michoud Assembly Facility 6973449.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 11th 07 02:43 AM
Post-assembly or Pre-launch checks AZ T-rex Soaring 0 January 30th 06 12:16 AM