Jantar 3 Axle Diameter?

Old December 10th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Jantar 3 Axle Diameter?

Anyone here know the diameter of a Jantar Std3 axle? (or SZD-59 axle,
or any other Polish ship that happens to use the same axle...)
My ships' far away and I'm scheming right now, lacking numbers. The
manuals etc speak not of it. Thx.

-Paul
Old December 10th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul,
Call Rex at Williams. By the way, he took out the Polish wheel/brake
and installed a 5inch Tost drum brake. BIG improvement. I originally
wanted a disk brake on my 59 but that would not fit without major
work. The drum brake is good enough to put the bird on its nose at
will. Very predictable. Does not self actuate like the Polish model.
Guy

Old December 10th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Call Rex at Williams. *By the way, he took out the Polish wheel/brake
and installed a 5inch Tost drum brake. *BIG improvement.

Already in contact, awaiting specs if he has them off hand...He's
pretty busy right now, and I thought I may be able to jumpstart my
thought process by checking with the experts here ;-)

My ships' gonna get a Cleveland (5606 rules!) disc, which is also a
big improvement on the self actuating model my 59 also came with. The
5.00x5 Cleveland is indeed a close fit, that does require it being a
little off center in addition to a bit more work to install, but so be
it. I'm sure you've spent plenty time looking at these pics, but...
http://tinyurl.com/6dq86k

I solved the riddle from those photos BTW. It's NOT a 40-103 wheel,
but rather a 40-78* and Rex was actually the one that did the original
conversion, for the previous owner of that particular Jantar 3. Those
pics are from the restoration/overhaul the current owner did...

* (or one of it's equivalents it's lumped with in Cleveland's tech
drawings. Unconfirmed, but there' s little room for interpretation if
you review Cleveland's 5.00x5 line http://tinyurl.com/5nj32r -.pdf
alert!)

A Beringer was my first choice, but I got a good enough deal on a
Cleveland that the choice was basically made for me...

-Paul

PS. I got really cool push button flush latches for the vented
scoops, just haven't had time to mess with it for a while...
Old December 10th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well...Paul....

Don't hold out.
Tell me about the flush latches.
Tell me about the vented scoops.

We 59 owners have to be a family.

Guy
Old December 10th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 9, 6:23*pm, sisu1a wrote:
...The 5.00x5 Cleveland is indeed a close fit, that does
require it being a little off center...

The HPs are like that as well, if you use a typical Cleveland you have
to make the spacers different widths to fit the wheel, disk, and
caliper all onto the yoke. It has not been a problem for anyone I know
of. My HP-18 is like that, and I can't tell that the wheel is off-
center.

The Matco wheel/brake units are also a good choice, and for obsessive
symmetrophiles they can be fitted so the tire's plane of symmetry
coincides with that of the fuselage. However, when you measure them
closely most glider fuselages aren't really all that symmetrical
anyhow.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old December 15th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Dec 9, 6:34*pm, sisu1a wrote:
Anyone here know the diameter of a Jantar Std3 axle? (or SZD-59 axle,
or any other Polish ship that happens to use the same axle...)
My ships' far away and I'm scheming right now, lacking numbers. The
manuals etc speak not of it. Thx.

-Paul

The axle in my Jantar Standard 2 is 25mm diameter. I imagine the -3 is
the same.

As a related aside, the wheel bearings in the stock wheel hub are the
needle type and are a very strange size (25 x 37 x 17 mm long). I
searched many bearing catalogs to no avail. However I found them at a
Honda dealer where they are used in an ATV motor. Honda part number
91021-HN8-003. They are $10 each.

/Adam