Fair Share

Old July 16th 05, 11:14 PM
Mike Granby

Default Fair Share

I flew to a fly-in today with my two sons (aged 1 and 2) and two adult
coworkers. My buddies want to pay their fair share, but as I private
pilot I am obviously limited under FAR 61.118 as to what I can accept.
So, what share of the direct costs should I take from each coworker?
33%? 20%? Or their weight divided by the total weight of all pax?

Old July 16th 05, 11:32 PM
JohnH

Mike Granby wrote:
I flew to a fly-in today with my two sons (aged 1 and 2) and two adult
coworkers. My buddies want to pay their fair share, but as I private
pilot I am obviously limited under FAR 61.118 as to what I can accept.
So, what share of the direct costs should I take from each coworker?
33%? 20%? Or their weight divided by the total weight of all pax?

Go for 20% and accept more

Has anyone in the history of aviation ever been audited for this? I mean
really....

Old July 16th 05, 11:50 PM
Mike Granby

Well, quite, I don't expect an audit.

Just delighting in the minute details of the rules!

Old July 17th 05, 01:21 AM
TaxSrv

"JohnH" wrote:

Has anyone in the history of aviation ever been audited for this? I

mean
really....

FAA only maybe responds to informants, like after you ****ed off one
of your coworkers enough, and he knows you've done wrong and that FAA
even enforces stuff which will sound dinky to them. That can't happen
if you tell them simply that FAA rules say that the adults share the
costs, should they offer more than 33. They won't be aware of the FAR
which states every pilot's rule interpretation must be 100% accurate.
:-)

Fred F.

Old July 17th 05, 03:25 AM
Mike Granby

Someone on another forum just pointed out that the rules says that a
pilot must not pay less than his fair share. Thus, I could pay 20%, and
let the pax decide how to split the 80% between them. I'm sure my
co-workers would agree with the kids that the adults should pay, so by
taking the kids along, I can collect 80% instead of just 66%. Better
get working on some more......

Old July 17th 05, 04:12 AM
Doug Semler

In oups.com,
Mike Granby slavered, and posted this:
Someone on another forum just pointed out that the rules says that a
pilot must not pay less than his fair share. Thus, I could pay 20%, and
let the pax decide how to split the 80% between them. I'm sure my
co-workers would agree with the kids that the adults should pay, so by
taking the kids along, I can collect 80% instead of just 66%. Better
get working on some more......

??? Your math needs a bit of work. Since you are legally responsible for
the children, your "fair share" would be 60% (3/5) of the cost. I don't
think child labor laws allow 1 and 2 year old children to work off the
debt...and since they can't enter into a legal contract, you can't get an
"IOU" from them for the flights

--
Doug Semler
http://home.wideopenwest.com/~doug_semler

Old July 17th 05, 05:28 AM
Jay Honeck

Just delighting in the minute details of the rules!

That's a sickness, you know...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 17th 05, 03:04 PM
Mike Granby

They are seperate persons, and they can enter into contracts; such
contracts just can't be enforced against them! Since someone else would
be paying for them out of their choice, they'd be no need to enforce
anything. As to working it off, well, we'll add it to their chores list
when they're a little older......

Old July 17th 05, 03:18 PM
Jon Kraus

snip

so by taking the kids along, I can collect 80% instead of just 66%.

Yea and in the process screw yourself because you would be covering your
kids share. I never include kids in the "pay your fair share"
calculation. :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ