Smooth Lowrance Airmap 1000 updates

Old August 15th 05, 04:56 PM
Longworth

Default Smooth Lowrance Airmap 1000 updates

We have used the Airmap 1000 for over a year. In preparation for
our trip from NY to Denver, I checked the website for updates. It is
my habit to google for users' experience. One of the user reported
having a bit of problem updating the Jeppesen database. Another
reported having problem with a certain type of SD card. I also wanted
to be able to have both the aviation database and land-based maps on
the same card. Since I had chosen our digital devices (camera and mp3
player/digital recorder) to use the same flash memory as the Lowrance,
I have quite a few of SD cards ranging from 32mb to 1gb.

First, I am not sure what is the upper limit for SD cards that the
Airmap 1000 can recognize. The reported tested card is 256mb. The
only 256mb card which I have does not work with the LEI card reader.
Secondly, I am not sure whether I have to send in the old card in order
to have the new card 'unlocked'. I would not want to forfeit a 512mb
card at each upgrade. So, the compromise is to use the 128mb card
which will leave some rooms for land-based maps after loading the
Jeppesen database.

After downloading the Jeppesen database and make sure that I have a
copy of it on the 256mb card inserted in the LEI card reader, I went
through the unlocking process which required online
registration/ordering. Everything went smoothly and there was no
requirement to return the old card. I also loaded the free enhanced
"Safe Flight 21" maps which contain high detail taxiway diagram maps
for about 82 airports.

I tested the new card with the Airmap 1000 and was glad to see the
unit recognize both the new database and the new taxiway maps.

In browsing Lowrance website, I noticed that there was sofware
upgrade version 1.6 for the unit. I was surprised to see version 1.2
on my unit. The update process required downloading the sofware,
installing on your pc then running the update with an MMC or SD card in
the reader. I decided to try out an 512mb card (which still have Nikon
digital camera files). It was a pleasant surprise to see this card
worked perfectly fine with the Airmap 1000. I will use the larger card
for the next Jeppesen update. It took less than a minute for the
update process. I tested the unit again but could not really tell what
extra things that version 1.6 offered. Every updates especially
firmware, bios updates involve some degree of risks. It would be nice
if Lowrance tells us what the new versions offer so that users can
decide whether the risk is worth taking.

Lowrance announced that a Turn-by-Turn directions for automotive mode
and Terrain Awareness for the Airmap 2000 will be available as an
upgrade at a later date for $199. I searched their websites but could
not find any information on whether the same option will be offered for
the 1000.

Hai Longworth

Old August 16th 05, 01:18 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

... It would be nice
if Lowrance tells us what the new versions offer so that users can
decide whether the risk is worth taking.

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/Upg...60/default.asp

As taken from the website update page:

What changes are made in this update?

Modified data storage processing
Minor change to UTC 24 hour mode
Modified handling of airport waypoint data for displaying the runways
Enhanced E6B Wind Speed calculations
Modified database searching
Includes all features from previous updates, including:
Added Lat/Lon on the digital data map page
Added temp curve
Modified steer arrow feature
Added "Use Indoor" option
Added plane takeoff to boot code

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old August 16th 05, 01:52 AM
Chris Schmelzer

In article .com,
"Longworth" wrote:

[...]

Cool, thanks for the update on the process. My 1000 came with the older
November 2004 database and I have yet to update (moving) but I think
I'll have to buy a bigger card and then get my freebie update onto the
bigger card.

From what I heard at Oshkosh the 1000 doesn't have enough processor
power for the obstruction features, so I think we are left out for that.
After seeing the Vistanav (with weather and synthetic vision) and the
Avmap-IV my 1000 may be relegated to backup status shortly anyhow....

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
University of Arizona, UPH Kino