EW Data logger failure?

Old July 27th 08, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

Default EW Data logger failure?

The red LED is always "ON" whatever I am doing with the ON/OFF switch.
Impossible to know if the unit is switched ON or OFF. With or without
antenna gives the same result.

Does anybody have an idea of the problem?

Bruno
Old July 27th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Vincent

Hi Bruno,

I had an identical problem with our club EW (D) logger only last week.
Fixed it immediately by changing the battery. They thrive on a fresh
alkaline 9 volt cell, but seem to be very unforgiving of low cell
voltage - ours was a regular "heavy-duty" cell at 8.4 volts (no load).

Regards,

Geoff Vincent
Grampians Soaring Club
Australia

Old July 27th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

On 27 juil, 11:24, Geoff Vincent
wrote:
Hi Bruno,

I had an identical problem with our club EW (D) logger only last week.
Fixed it immediately by changing the battery. *They thrive on a fresh
alkaline 9 volt cell, but seem to be very unforgiving of low cell
voltage - ours was a regular "heavy-duty" cell at 8.4 volts (no load).

Regards,

OK. But how to replace the battery? Do I need to send the Unit back to
the producer in UK?

Old July 27th 08, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_3_]

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 03:02:53 -0700, nimbus wrote:

OK. But how to replace the battery? Do I need to send the Unit back to
the producer in UK?

No, its a 5 minute job once you know where the battery is.

The battery is just inside the flat endcap opposite the D-9 connector.
Use a small, fine bladed screwdriver to gently prise out the two plastic
domes. These cover the screws holding the end cap on. Unscrew them
with a crosspoint screwdriver. Pull the cap off and slide the battery out.
Replace with a new 9v alkaline battery and reassemble in the opposite
order. The plastic caps press back into place.

Repeat annually.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

Old July 27th 08, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martyn Johnson

Bruno

On the opposite end to the connector there are 2 small round black plastic
plugs. Lever them out with a small penknife. Take out the 2 screws
uncovered and the end plate pops off to show a PP9 9V battery which simply
unclips.

I have 2 rechargeable NiMH cells which I regularly recharge/swap. Works
for me.

Cheers

Martyn

wrote:
Hi Bruno,

I had an identical problem with our club EW (D) logger only last week.
Fixed it immediately by changing the battery. =A0They thrive on a

Old July 27th 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

*wrote:
The red LED is always "ON" whatever I am doing with the ON/OFF

switch.
Impossible to know if the unit is switched ON or OFF. With or without
antenna gives the same result.

Does anybody have an idea of the problem?

Bruno- Hide quoted text -

This does assume you have a "D" Model. If you have one of the newer
EW's it doesn't apply. But I have seen a simlar issue caused by a
setting in the setup file on the newer ones.

Brian
Old July 27th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus

I have the new model (bought in January 2008). I did remove the
"battery" cap. I found an assembly of 3 metal ion sub batteries.

These batteries are made by GBS in UK. I contacted them in order to
have spare batteries.

I hope that opening the battery cap will not make my flights invalid.

I am a little disappointed about the weakness of this battery assembly
(only after 6 months, I got already problems !).

Bruno
Old July 27th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Edward Lockhart[_3_]

At 14:45 27 July 2008, nimbus wrote:
I have the new model (bought in January 2008). I did remove the
"battery" cap. I found an assembly of 3 metal ion sub batteries.

These batteries are made by GBS in UK. I contacted them in order to
have spare batteries.

I hope that opening the battery cap will not make my flights invalid.

I am a little disappointed about the weakness of this battery assembly
(only after 6 months, I got already problems !).

Bruno

I had a similar problem with my EW Microrecorder a few months ago - in my
case the hard drive was frozen.

Let the battery run flat (24 hours) and when you recharge, the recorder
resets.

As yours is one of the newer models, you can also reset the unit by
shorting two of the pins in the RJ45 connector. Sounds drastic but it is a
design feature on the newer units. You'll have to ask Graham which pins.

Hope this helps,
Edward