How Long Can An Airplane Sit?

Old October 24th 04, 05:00 AM
Bill Denton

Default How Long Can An Airplane Sit?

A pilot owns an airplane.

He isn't able to fly the plane very often, but when he does it's usually two
hours out for a $100 hamburger, then two hours back.

The airplane is always hangered; all inspections and maintenance are done by
the book.

How long could the airplane sit between flights before it begins to
deteriorate?

Old October 24th 04, 05:34 AM
Steven Barnes

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
A pilot owns an airplane.

He isn't able to fly the plane very often, but when he does it's usually

two
hours out for a $100 hamburger, then two hours back.

The airplane is always hangered; all inspections and maintenance are done

by
the book.

How long could the airplane sit between flights before it begins to
deteriorate?

Approx 2 days. At least that what *my* plane needs. ;-)
Of course my wife thinks it can sit for weeks...

Old October 24th 04, 06:26 AM
tony roberts

One week

If you can 't fly it every week, pickle the engine.

Sorry - but that's how it really is.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old October 24th 04, 07:18 AM
Peter Duniho

"tony roberts" wrote in message
One week

If you can 't fly it every week, pickle the engine.

That's just silly.

Yes, a week is short enough for corrosion to occur. A few hours is, for
that matter (and that's the literal answer to the original question), and of
course every day you go without flying incurs additional damage.

But honestly, you obviously don't own an airplane. No owner would seriously
consider pickling the engine for a mere week of downtime. Most owners
wouldn't go to that much trouble for less than a couple of months or more of
downtime. It's just not practical.

Anyway, to the original poster: as I said, as you asked "before it *begins*
to deteriorate" (emphasis mine), the answer is a few hours after shutdown.
Corrosion is a constant process, and the longer you go, the worse it is.

It would be best for an airplane to be flown at least once a day, if not
multiple times a day. A week's not bad, nor are two. Beyond that, you are
likely going to see noticeable long-term effects on maintenance and engine
life.

You may be able to minimize the effects by using certain oils (Exxon claims
to have an oil that nearly eliminates corrosion even after long periods of
time), or that might just be marketing hype. I'm not aware of any unbiased
tests that would indicate one way or the other.

Pete

Old October 24th 04, 07:19 AM
Brien K. Meehan

Mine complains if I don't fly it about once a week.

Old October 24th 04, 09:01 AM
Ben Jackson

In article .com,
Brien K. Meehan wrote:

Mine complains if I don't fly it about once a week.

You have a voice annunciator for corrosion?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 24th 04, 11:16 AM
Cub Driver

One week

If you can 't fly it every week, pickle the engine.

Sorry - but that's how it really is.

The same is true of the pilot, of course.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old October 24th 04, 11:35 AM
g n p

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mine complains if I don't fly it about once a week.

Same here!!
SX-ADE, Socata TB-9 Tampico Club

Old October 24th 04, 03:27 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

You have a voice annunciator for corrosion?

I've never heard of one of those. However, I have found a very effective
voice annunciator for flying too *often*. It's very sensitive, and it
adjusts the stridency of its warnings in direct proportion to both the last
3-6 weeks of flying history and the amount of the previous month's flying
club bill. If not much flying has been going on, it stays quiet. If you
have flown only a little bit, it merely emits frustrated sighs as you leave
for the airport. If you have been flying as much as you probably should to
maintain currency, it begins speaking aloud, usually asking questions like,
"Again?", and "So when are you going to get insert some non-flying task
here done?". And finally, if you have been flying as much as you wanted,
you will see the volume increase to ear-splitting levels, the voice
frequency reach into the soprano range, the questions turn into both
declarative statements and dire predictions, and the language evolve into
something that would make most sailors blush. As an added option, it can
also start throwing dishes, frying pans, and rolling pins at you.

My annunciator is called a "wife". If you want to buy mine, let me know!

Really honey, if you happen to catch this on Google, it was all a big joke,
OK. No, no! Look, it was just a little joke. I thought the guys would all
get a big laugh over it! I'll get the lawn cut as soon as the weather
clears up, I promise. What? Yes, dear. I'll get those shelves up right
now, dear. Yes, dear.

---

Old October 24th 04, 03:45 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:18:55 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

Yes, a week is short enough for corrosion to occur. A few hours is, for
that matter (and that's the literal answer to the original question), and of
course every day you go without flying incurs additional damage.

lets blow away the mystery here. yes corrosion can start in a few
hours ....but why????

But honestly, you obviously don't own an airplane. No owner would seriously
consider pickling the engine for a mere week of downtime. Most owners
wouldn't go to that much trouble for less than a couple of months or more of
downtime. It's just not practical.

my aircraft with an O-200 in it has sat for a year at a time unused on
two occasions. on the first occasion the accessory drive at the back
of the engine disintegrated requiring some major work. on the second
occasion it has now flown 2 years subsequently incident free. why??

Corrosion is a constant process, and the longer you go, the worse it is.

bull**** (and I mean that in the nicest way :-) )

It would be best for an airplane to be flown at least once a day, if not
multiple times a day. A week's not bad, nor are two. Beyond that, you are
likely going to see noticeable long-term effects on maintenance and engine
life.

ok why??? what is the actual process going on here that makes the
running better?

You may be able to minimize the effects

what effects???
by using certain oils (Exxon claims
to have an oil that nearly eliminates corrosion even after long periods of
time), or that might just be marketing hype. I'm not aware of any unbiased
tests that would indicate one way or the other.

of course there are. you just havent read of them. :-) :-)

ok let me answer the questions I posed in tickling peter in the ribs.

moisture in the engine is primarily the bad guy here.
it condenses in the oil as the engine cools after use and will
actually emulsify (well that it what it looks like to me) through the
oil on to the steel surfaces and set off corrosion.
it is worse in winter than in summer and this is probably the one
thing that a hangar offers no protection against.

in my aircraft the first time it sat for a period unloved (the last
owner was sick and grounded for the year) there must have been
moisture/water in the oil. the bearing surfaces in the gear train
within the accessory case all corroded on to the gears. of course as
well as gluing the bits together the corrosion roughens the bearing
surfaces.
crud in the gallery obstructing the oil flow and roughened bearing
faces saw the gear train sieze and part company about half an hour
into the first subsequent flight.
the second time I took precautions to minimise water in the oil and
had no identifiable damage.

there are two methods of making sure the oil and the inside of your
engine is moisture free.
always fly the engine for a minimum of an hour after it has warmed up.
this will assist considerably in boiling off the moisture in the oil
(so thats what the breather tube is for on the engine :-) )
the other technique if you can only make short flghts is to change the
oil regularly. fresh oil is moisture free.
a third technique is to drop the oil into a container. boil it dry on
a stove then put it back into the engine. oil fires are horrific
though and nowhere as much fun as just flying it dry.

if you know that the aircraft is to sit for a long period put fresh
oil into it and run it for a minute or two to get fresh oil in all the
galleries and bearing surfaces then shut it down.
worked for me.

Stealth (there you go a mystery evaporated) Pilot
australia.

btw this matter has been subject of safety advisories in this country.