Insurance options...

Old March 16th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Insurance options...

Is there anyone else out there that is considering it their 'moral
obligation' to seek out a new Insurer after the latest bonus gaff from
AIG?
What other options are there when I vote with my feet at renewal
time?
They obviously don't need my business.

Bob Hills 7U

Old March 16th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Mar 16, 3:17*pm, wrote:
Is there anyone else out there that is considering it their 'moral
obligation' to seek out a new Insurer after the latest bonus gaff from
AIG?
What other options are there when I vote with my feet at renewal
time?
They obviously don't need my business.

Bob Hills 7U

Bob -

I've used Costello and Avemco.

While Costello is arguably the most glider-familiar insurer and has a
lot of ties to the SSA, I've found dealing with Avemco to be a really
great experience - even though they are more power-pilot oriented.

Avemco has more flexible payment plans than Costello, and hasn't
griped as much about putting aircraft on non-flying status for
moderate periods of time. For a "low-time" pilot like me (only about
250 hours TT), I found Avemco to provide slightly better rates for
nearly-identical coverage on high-performance gliders. The down-side
is that Avemco's database of insurable aircraft basically covers only
the more common glider Makes and Models. They knew what my DG-300
was, but wouldn't insure my Russia AC-4 (though surprisingly, they
knew what an AC-5m was! *shrug*).

Some parts of the country have a couple of other options for glider/
aircraft insurance, but they weren't available in my state
(Washington).

Good luck!

--Noel

Old March 16th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Noel and Bob,

I have insured with Avemco and they were great. No problems at all
when I had a claim back in the previous century. The only reason I
switched to Costello is that they were cheaper for me. I've been
satisfied with Costello for probably close to ten years now and
haven't shopped around. The folks at Costello, mainly Sue, are always
extremely kind and helpful when I call with questions.

Also, I think when I was insured by Avemco, their policies were
underwritten by AIG as well. So, if you go to another broker, will
you still wind up with AIG as the one ultimately taking your money?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old March 17th 09, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike McCarron[_2_]

At 23:08 16 March 2009, noel.wade wrote:
On Mar 16, 3:17=A0pm, wrote:
[...]

I have been with Costello since 1984 for both our gliding club aircraft
insurance as well as my private glider. They are very courteous and
professional - especially Sue Fassett.

Mike

Old March 17th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

rlovinggood wrote:
Noel and Bob,

I have insured with Avemco and they were great. No problems at all
when I had a claim back in the previous century. The only reason I
switched to Costello is that they were cheaper for me. I've been
satisfied with Costello for probably close to ten years now and
haven't shopped around. The folks at Costello, mainly Sue, are always
extremely kind and helpful when I call with questions.

Also, I think when I was insured by Avemco, their policies were
underwritten by AIG as well. So, if you go to another broker, will
you still wind up with AIG as the one ultimately taking your money?

AIG's insurance operations are in good shape. Their other problems
won't affect their ability to pay insurance claims.

Old March 17th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I whole heartedly agree with all you say about Costello, they have
been great for my Private and our Club Aircraft..... it just irks me
that the policy is underwritten by AIG.
Bob

Old March 17th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 16, 8:38*pm, wrote:
[...]

Carrboro, North Carolina, USA- Hide quoted text -

For what it's worth...

AIG's commercial insurance division, which underwrites the SSA group
plan administered by Costello, is far removed from the Credit Default
Swaps that eventually brought the parent down. In fact, as we speak
the Commercial Insurance areas are being spun off into a new entity
(AIU Global Holdings) which will be only in the business of insurance
and will therefore behave like any of the other regulated insurance
companies. Are the folks in this division "angels"? Certainly
not. But AIG has always made a business out of serving specialized
markets (such as aviation) which others have neglected or
abandoned. One could argue that in the current environment, they
need us more than ever, and to some extent, we need them. This
might present new opportunities. Enough said.

P3

Old March 17th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 16, 6:17*pm, wrote:
Is there anyone else out there that is considering it their 'moral
obligation' to seek out a new Insurer after the latest bonus gaff from
AIG?
What other options are there when I vote with my feet at renewal
time?
They obviously don't need my business.

Bob Hills 7U

Respectfully, you are completely off base.
AIG Aviation is an excellent organization which provides us with great
service.
Truth be told, we need them more than they need us.
Try to insure your tug and club fleet with Avemco- good luck.
They are just another company which is held by the larger business
that has had some serious
sinners.
If we stick together with Costello and the SSA program, we have the
best chance of remaining in a position where we can get insurance.
Have an accident and you will find out what I mean.
Cheers
UH
Old March 17th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Is there anyone else out there that is considering it their
'moral
obligation' to seek out a new Insurer after the latest bonus gaff from
AIG?
What other options are there when I vote with my feet at renewal
time?
They obviously don't need my business.

I've only used Costello, but when I had my unfortunate claim last
year, the first thing they said to me was "we are so sorry for your
loss"... then they quickly proceeded to process it which ultimately
was very graciously paid by AIG with absolutely no hassle.

There isn't anything either Costello or AIG could have done to be any
more courteous or quicker. To ice the cake, after AIG totaled me out
on my policy, Costello refunded me the pro-rata portion I had left
over from the months of paid policy on my then totaled ship. I'm
sticking with Costello, and whoever they get to underwrite them is
their business, to which I trust to their judgment.

-Paul

Ways of Getting The Lowest Possible Life Insurance Rates.( lowestlife insurance rates) [email protected] Piloting 0 March 23rd 08 09:21 AM
LED options Ken Gage Home Built 2 November 8th 07 12:01 AM
396/496 installation options. [email protected] Owning 10 December 18th 06 03:10 AM
Options [email protected] Soaring 32 March 14th 05 05:33 PM
Options in Summer of '45 Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 December 24th 03 04:15 PM