2014 Region 5N video

Old April 25th 14, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

Default 2014 Region 5N video

A new video by Bret Willat from Region 5N is on Wings & Wheels new Facebook page, wings-wheels:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wings...59343597591652

Sean Franke
"HA"
Old April 27th 14, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've never understood the logic of flying radio controlled aircraft in the area of millions of dollars of perfect and easily damaged sailplanes!

As an avid radio control sailplane pilot (and full size, too) I can assure you that radio controlled aircraft are subject to radio interference, mechanical failure...etc, etc.

Imagine the damage as one goes out of control and breaks a canopy or puts huge dents into your precision sanded wings!

Sure, it seems "normal" to fly r/c aircraft at an airport....but, it ain't smart! Especially when (as usually the case) they are flown directly ABOVE the full size aircraft!

One day, something will happen....

J4

Old April 28th 14, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you, Sean, for the video. I used it to give my future ground crew some insight into an upcoming contest.

Raul Boerner
DM
Old April 28th 14, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:51:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I've never understood the logic of flying radio controlled aircraft in the area of millions of dollars of perfect and easily damaged sailplanes!

As an avid radio control sailplane pilot (and full size, too) I can assure you that radio controlled aircraft are subject to radio interference, mechanical failure...etc, etc.

One day, something will happen....

While I'm all for caution and due care, I'm pretty sure the greatest risk of damage to one of these beautiful gliders comes when the pilot gets in and takes a tow...

Modern multi-rotor helicopters are GPS, accelerometer and baro-stabilized and can be autonomously guided so radio interference is less of an issue. Multirotors with more than 4 props can even tolerate losing a prop by entering a fail-safe mode and most can return to their launch point (within a foot or two!) and land themselves automatically.

Why risk it? I think these airborne videos are a great way to help promote the sport and I am fine with it as long as reasonable precautions are taken and the pilot has a minimum level of experience with the system.

9B
Old April 28th 14, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

On Friday, April 25, 2014 3:27:51 PM UTC-4, Sean Franke wrote:
A new video by Bret Willat from Region 5N is on Wings & Wheels new Facebook page, wings-wheels:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wings...59343597591652

Sean Franke

"HA"

Good idea? Perhaps down the side would be more prudent. Is it cool? Definitely!
Tim
1FL