Whats in YOUR toolbox?

Old October 22nd 06, 08:26 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

fencing repair kit, including lengths of wire (coiled)for joining, heavy cutters/ pliers and a length of rope to help tension it all up again.

Bagmaker
Old October 22nd 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Whats in YOUR toolbox?

I think that there are four separate categories of tool sets (not
counting what I have at home) which relate to soaring. Listed are
tools only, other items (like in the land out kit) are not included).
However, I do include electrical items.

Car
-------------
Good metric/standard socket set (Craftsman)
ball peen hammer
tow strap (hooks around tow hitch ball - can come in VERY handy pulling
gliders from fields)
screwdrivers
battery cleaning tools (brush, terminal puller)
Jumper cables
slip joint wrench ("cresent" wrench)
adjustable wrench
needle nose
fuses, wire splices, ring lugs
cable ties (12" and 24" - I only use Thomas & Betts T&B brand)
16 gauge stranded wire
aviation safety wire, large diameter (better than bailing wire)
voltmeter
tow hitch (of course)
electrical tape
plastic sheeting
GOOD flashlight (I carry a large aluminum multi-D cell and a smaller
LED)
rags (these are tools too)
Tire inflater in a can
Gaffers tape (better than duct tape)
rope

Day-to-Day with the Trailer
-------
voltmeter
cheap metric socket set
metric allen wrenches
screwdrivers
fuses
duplicate assembly tools (I need a metric nut driver for the tail)
extra wing pins (I stumbled onto a set an acquaintance didn't need)
cleaning supplies
lubricants (LPS #2)
cable ties (6" - I only use Thomas & Betts T&B brand)
needle nose
spare wheel bearings.
electrical tape (doubles as wing tape)
trailer wiring supplies
spare air lines and fittings
plastic sheeting
Flashlight
rags
jacking equipment (spare tire)
aviation safety wire, small diameter as needed for glider

In the glider (land out kit)
-------------
Leatherman like tool. I prefer SOG branded
Fuses
Cable ties (6" - I only use Thomas & Betts T&B brand)
Air valve extension
Flashlight

On the Road - Beyond what is listed above
-------------
Bottle jack or floor jack
Air bottle
2x10 board (about 24" long) - used for jacking in the mud
My "large" tool bags (one is "electrical" and the other is
"mechanical/woodworking")
Battery powered drill with charger, bits
Inverter (12Vdc to 120Vac) - charges the drill, cell phones, computer,
etc.
Tow out kit
Clamps (Jorgensen large clothes pin type)
Stuff to get water in the wings
spare main gear tire (the tail wheel and tail dolly wheel are
interchangeable)
battery charger (for ship) and spare batteries
Anything aviation specific that you can't find at the local hardware
store

I know I am forgetting a bunch of other items but this is pretty close.

Old October 22nd 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Dang, why not just use a Snap-On Tool truck as your tow vehicle, and be
done with it? 8^)

ContestID67 wrote:
[...]

Whats in YOUR toolbox? Travis Beach Soaring 8 October 25th 06 06:17 PM
Mechanics Toolbox Stache Piloting 0 October 13th 06 04:16 AM
FS: Snap-on aviation style toolbox mike Home Built 0 October 18th 03 07:27 PM
FS: Aviation toolbox Snap-on KR-562 mike Aviation Marketplace 0 October 17th 03 02:45 AM