Jacks Mountain Wind Turbine Letters Needed.

Old January 21st 14, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Default Jacks Mountain Wind Turbine Letters Needed.

On Monday, January 20, 2014 2:44:44 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Monday, January 20, 2014 11:05:52 AM UTC-7, Soartech wrote:

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 10:16:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:49:24 PM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:03:12 AM UTC-7, Karl Striedieck wrote:

As noted before, the soaring at Mifflin could be negatively impacted by the installation of dozens of 450' high wind turbines on Jacks Mountain. Last night at the meeting of SOAR (Save Our Allegheny Ridges) the matter of FAA approval for these potential obstructions was discussed and a request for input from pilots was made.

Mine was received 1/8/14

TA

The particular issue involving the FAA concerns the closest four of the 20 turbines Volkswind is proposing for its initial project. But the installation of any of these devices will render the ridge unsafe for any front/back side ridge flying that is important to Mifflin as a soaring site. This is because Jacks has a very narrow peak.

Following are links to three documents pertinent to a letter to the FAA. The first is an explanatory e-mail form Laura Jackson, head of SOAR.. The second is a copy of a letter David Bargainier wrote. And third is a letter from the AOPA to the FAA on the subject.

http://mifflin.ridgesewing.com/Appeal_from_SOAR.pdf

http://mifflin.ridgesewing.com/Pilot...ion_Letter.pdf

http://mifflin.ridgesewing.com/APOA_...ion_Letter.pdf

Letters from pilots to the FAA can be brief summaries of your concern that approval of this project will present an unacceptable safety hazard to pilots, and any other reasons you might find useful from the AOPA and David's letters.

Thanks for the support.

Stay tuned.

kS

Just an update for everyone. Our letters(mine sent Dec. 19, 2013) that went to the FAA were received well after the cutoff date of Dec. 26. 2013. They received mine Jan. 13, 2014.

They mailed me back on the Jan. 15, 2014 and I received my letter today, Jan.18,2014(3 days from them to me!!!) explaining that since they received it after the cutoff date, it was, as KS and others were, invalid.

The FAA did approve the wind turbine building sites, but another meeting is planned by what I understand.

How did you determine when it was received?

I didn't determine when it was received as they told me the date when they received it on their return letter.

I sent mine in via registered mail ($3.25) well before the deadline and never got anything back.
Old January 24th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

I sent mine in via registered mail ($3.25) well before the deadline and never got anything back.

OK, just got notification yesterday that it was received two days after the deadline and so is "invalid".
First, it is too bad that this issue was posted so close to the deadline that our slow US mail system could not get it there on time.
Second, for future reference, the letter says that you may FAX these types of letters in instead of mailing !!
Someone at S.O.A.R. should have noted that in their info post.
The fax number to use is (202) 267-9328 for the FAA Airspace Regulations and ATC Procedures Group.