What glider types can be retrofitted with a 'nose' tow hook? Whatglider types cannot?

Old February 23rd 14, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default What glider types can be retrofitted with a 'nose' tow hook? Whatglider types cannot?

I got a quote from Blanik America in June of 2012 of $1800 for a factory authorized complete kit-of-parts to add a nose hook to an L33.

I did not get a quote for installation labor. The L33 is a metal glider and perhaps that would make the installation less labor intensive. Does anyone know the labor cost for adding the nose hook to the L33 (to complete the picture)?

The L33 glider in question had about 200 hours on it and the price was in the low 20Ks. I would have spent the money on the nose hook if I had gone forward with the purchase, but I found a better 'first glider' that also happened to have a nose hook. The lack of the L33 nose hook was the only reason that I delayed the purchase until something better came along. At the time I was infatuated with the L33 and the money was 'burning a hole in my pocket'.

Old February 23rd 14, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

son_of_flubber wrote, On 2/23/2014 9:05 AM:
I got a quote from Blanik America in June of 2012 of $1800 for a
factory authorized complete kit-of-parts to add a nose hook to an
L33.

I did not get a quote for installation labor. The L33 is a metal
glider and perhaps that would make the installation less labor
intensive. Does anyone know the labor cost for adding the nose hook
to the L33 (to complete the picture)?

The L33 glider in question had about 200 hours on it and the price
was in the low 20Ks. I would have spent the money on the nose hook
if I had gone forward with the purchase, but I found a better 'first
glider' that also happened to have a nose hook. The lack of the L33
nose hook was the only reason that I delayed the purchase until
something better came along. At the time I was infatuated with the
L33 and the money was 'burning a hole in my pocket'.

I had my ASW 20 C retrofitted with a nose hook (better described as
"forward" hook) about 25 years ago. I assume that can still be done, and
also for the ASW 20 B. It was a very worthwhile change, I thought.

email me)
Old February 23rd 14, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

That's easy to find out.
Go to your manufacturer's website. Examples:
http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/tm/tm_main.htm
http://schempp-hirth.com/index.php?id=30&L=1
Look up the Technical Notes for your glider.
Scroll down until you find "fitting a nose hook" or similar title.
Download.
Contact the manufacturer or rep. Buy the parts for the TN.
Contact a repair station. Install.
Or like most of us, don't. I refused the nose hook when registering what is now Steve's Nimbus 3 in Australia. And used level tow.
But it's good to have two releases.
Yesterday my nose hook failed on launch. The second (successful) launch was on the CG hook, of course in level tow. Other than the lack of failure, couldn't tell the difference.
Jim
Old February 23rd 14, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:50:54 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Yesterday my nose hook failed on launch. The second (successful)
launch was on the CG hook, of course in level tow. Other than
the lack of failure, couldn't tell the difference.

Jim

Yikes! What was the failure Jim?
Sorry I'm not down there with you guys,
Best Regards, Dave
Old February 23rd 14, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Like most incidents, the failure was due to a combination of things.
The nose release doesn't close 100%, need to investigate.
That Tost ring was worn a bit thin so now retired.

Jim

Old February 24th 14, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What is a "level tow"? Is that somewhere between low and high tow?

Enquiring minds and all...

Old February 25th 14, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Level tow is level with the towplane. It's the current terminology where I fly in Australia, and I think describes the glider's position better than high tow.
Jim

Old February 25th 14, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

As Dan said, the terminology gets confusing. I'd always been taught that "high tow" was above the wake, while "low tow" was below the wake. I only use "low tow" during aero-retrieves, as my LS8 tends to overtake the tow plane if I'm above the wake once the tow pilot starts his cruise.

"Level tow" would be what I usually use, eg, I'm just above the wake with the horizontal stabilizer of the Pawnee lined up with its wing during the climb.

Does "level tow" as you defined its use in Australia occur below the wake? If so, I don't see how the glider could be level with the tow plane.

-John, Q3

Old February 25th 14, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 1:31:01 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:

...The nose release doesn't close 100%, need to investigate...

Can you please report back when you find out what the specific failure was? In my experience, the most likely cause is the spring being broken on one side, but not the other. In that condition, the hook appears to operate normally, but there is not enough spring pressure to hold the hook all the way closed.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 25th 14, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Q3
Level tow = high tow, just above the wake, not just below it.
Jim

Dominant EU types. Bruce Soaring 0 August 15th 08 09:49 PM
Types of currency buttman Piloting 29 March 21st 08 11:09 AM
4 types in 2 days B4RT Rotorcraft 1 March 26th 05 12:35 AM
How come you ATC types ALWAYS know Ash Wyllie Instrument Flight Rules 7 August 16th 04 11:01 PM
Why does the F-16 have to types of inlets? Jim Atkins Military Aviation 1 November 19th 03 03:53 AM