IGC Google Earth Replay

Old December 2nd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

Default IGC Google Earth Replay

I got it working today. Really amazing !!

However I am seeing something very annoying. The terrain view keeps
pulsating on me ("closer-further" for lack of better description).
Does anyone see that as well? Can it be fixed?

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki
Old December 2nd 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

On Dec 1, 9:44 pm, Henryk Birecki wrote:
I got it working today. Really amazing !!

However I am seeing something very annoying. The terrain view keeps
pulsating on me ("closer-further" for lack of better description).
Does anyone see that as well? Can it be fixed?

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki

Henryk,

That has happened on one file so far. It was a flight where my 302A
was having intermittent glitches due to a faulty antenna connection.
Probably not your problem though, but I wonder if the recording
interval of the GPS could cause a problem?

Mike
Old December 2nd 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Henryk Birecki" wrote in message
I got it working today. Really amazing !!

However I am seeing something very annoying. The terrain view keeps
pulsating on me ("closer-further" for lack of better description).
Does anyone see that as well? Can it be fixed?

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki

This is normal. You are probably flying at Minden in rotor.

bumper
zz
Minden, NV

Old December 2nd 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

The new version works very well for me and it is a
really excellent tool.

One tip for users - if you haven't already discovered
it - if the terrain ahead seems slow to load then dip
the view downwards momentarily and back up and it loads
immediately.

Thinking of it as a flight terrain viewer rather than
a flight simulator three things would enhance it for
me:

A side map showing current location.

The ability scan scan left/right and up/down while
paused.

An option to automatically jump the display to miss
out thermals except for, say, the first and last turns.

Thanks Tobi

John Galloway

At 06:54 02 December 2007, Bumper wrote:

.. .

Old December 2nd 07, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tobi

On 2 Dez., 05:44, Henryk Birecki wrote:
I got it working today. Really amazing !!

However I am seeing something very annoying. The terrain view keeps
pulsating on me ("closer-further" for lack of better description).
Does anyone see that as well? Can it be fixed?

Cheers,
Henryk Birecki

Henryk
what you described appears in GE 4.0, thats the reasing why 4.2 is a
requisite. Even in 4.2 , if you are very close to the terrain, lets
say less than 40 fts, the Google Earth Camera sometimes makes
avoidance movements which cannot be eliminated. However as a totally
convinced user of GPS_LOG all my logs work fine.
Tobias
Old December 2nd 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 2, 12:47 pm, John Galloway wrote:
Thinking of it as a flight terrain viewer rather than

a flight simulator three things would enhance it for
me:

A side map showing current location.

Thanks Tobi, fabulous!

John

Opened IGC GE and then opened the file with SeeYou file in Route mode
and "futzed" with the replay speeds to get everything synced and then
let them run. Had to continuosly sync using the GE time control but
that was easy. The 2 applications kept time drifting, Google seems to
have some small realtime issues.

Worked like a charm though and is a great tool for learning the
terrain in a area. I am headed for Sondrio in March and this helps me
to learn the extended local terrain. I downloaded IGC files from the
OLC for the Sondrio area. With SeeYou, GE and a chart I am statring to
familarize myself with the area, including the "hot" thermal spots!

Bob
Thanks again Tobi!

Old December 3rd 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Henryk Birecki

Thanks Tobi,

That fixed it. I missed the required GE version. Now it is really
great.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Henryk

Old December 4th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 28, 12:32 pm, wrote:
may be someone is interested in a small programm (http://ywtw.de/igcsim.html
) that allows you to replay IGC-files in Google Earth. It's a replay,
without use of kml, best for flights in the mountains :-)

Tobi,

This is an absolutely brilliant add-on! Thanks so much for making it
available. Please keep us posted on upgrades.

Larry
Old December 4th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Dec 1, 5:53 pm, "Ray Roberts" wrote:
For info, Tim's spectacular October 3 ridge flight can be downloaded from
the onlinecontest.org website. Look for Tim Taylor under the Competitors
tab, then select the 2007 option under the 2008 tab. Tim's Oct 3 flight is
listed there because it was part of the 2007 competition. Click on the "i"
(information) button, then select the .igc file for downloading, and follow
the on-screen instructions to save the file to your computer. Replaying this
file puts you right in Tim's cockpit, up close and personal with those
awsome Utah mountains!
Wonderful!
Ray Roberts
Ventus 2cM, "Q"
.

Ray,

Thanks for the directions and kind words. For those interested in
flying the ridge and wave north or Salt Lake City, Utah I would
recommend looking at flights on OLC from:

December 15th, 2006 This was a flight that shows the speed potential
of the ridge. I actually flew it conservatively and without water. A
write up can be found in the UTSoar group on Yahoo Groups.

The October 3rd, 2007 flight for the full extent of the ridge.

November 17th, 2007 flight of three gliders on ridge and wave to
17,999 feet. (Fun to watch in programs that let you put multiple
flights on same trace)

Also you can search the 2007 flights of Lynn Alley for several flights
in the wave.

Again thank to Tobias for providing such a great program that allow
others to really get a better idea of the terrain. It is immensely
helpful in sites where mountain flying is common.
Old December 8th 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tobi

On 4 Dez., 21:33, "Roger Kelly" wrote:
Great tool! Will it accept any other file format as input? I have an old
Garmin unit which will produce mapsource files - either .gdb or tab
delimited text. I know Gps Visualizer will convert some file types but I
don't see .igc as an available output file type.

Roger, sorry, no other file formats. But google for 'gpsbabel', I
never used this but maybe it converts the Garmin output.
Tobias

Google Earth Frank Whiteley Soaring 3 November 16th 07 12:36 AM
Google Earth fun Al Denelsbeck Aviation Photos 4 January 11th 07 04:31 PM
Google Earth - Glider David Pye Soaring 1 June 8th 06 04:39 PM
SeeYou 3D and Google Earth [email protected] Soaring 4 May 23rd 06 04:24 AM
Google Earth ttaylor at cc.usu.edu Soaring 8 September 22nd 05 12:07 PM