Apollo and our own.

Old July 18th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Default Apollo and our own.

There must be a good number of our crowd out there that contributed their talents to getting us to the moon via the Apollo program.

One is Roy Cundiff (formerly “R1” Ventus) who was an engineer on those mighty first stage F1 engines that put out 7.5 million pounds of thrust, consuming 318,000 gallons of LOX and 203,400 gallons of kerosene in less than three minutes. To build a device that can convert that much fuel to energy in a controlled manner in that short time is an astonishing feat.
Thanks Roy !!!

(Incidentally, the “mileage” figure for the first stage was roughly 10 inches/gallon.)
Old July 18th 19, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfJ

On Thursday, 18 July 2019 10:18:14 UTC-6, Karl Striedieck wrote:
There must be a good number of our crowd out there that contributed their talents to getting us to the moon via the Apollo program.

One is Roy Cundiff (formerly “R1” Ventus) who was an engineer on those mighty first stage F1 engines that put out 7.5 million pounds of thrust, consuming 318,000 gallons of LOX and 203,400 gallons of kerosene in less than three minutes. To build a device that can convert that much fuel to energy in a controlled manner in that short time is an astonishing feat.
Thanks Roy !!!

(Incidentally, the “mileage” figure for the first stage was roughly 10 inches/gallon.)

Well, there was also Neil Armstrong...
Old July 18th 19, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Hi Kimo....

I was old enough to watch back then, not old enough to add anything but "high fives" (which didn't exist then...).

Yes, great things done when a worthwhile common goal and a wide open wallet appear in conjunction.
;-)
Old July 19th 19, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Wes Lineberry
He was involved with the spacesuits I believe.
Wolf Elber...engineering testing at Langley, maybe. He was old enough when I met him and every government aerospace engineer must have been tapped one way or another.
Over 400,000 were involved.

Old July 19th 19, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

Carl Herold. I don't know what he did, but I seem to remember him borrowing space suits for Fossett, so he must have been connected. To me he was just a flying buddy.
Old July 19th 19, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I knew Wolf and family, I knew some others here.....money and a decision can make things happen.....cool stuff....
Yes, great things 50 years ago for humanity, regardless of flag or location....
The USSR won the battles....the US won the war.
The earth won a lot of info......

I try to stay neutral on a lot of stuff, 2 powers spent a ton of cash to move things forward.
Better spent at home?!?!
Who really knows?
Pushing humans....?!?!
Yes....cool....regardless of "who won".....we all win........
;-)
..
My $0.02US.....
Old July 19th 19, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Not personally connected as I was 14 at the time, but my Dad was very involved. Both as General Manager of the West Palm Beach FL Pratt and Whitney plant, as well as President of Hamilton Standard at the time of Appolo. Hamilton made the Life Support Backpacks for "strolling on the moon one day", and also the LEM Life Support (the one that got the crew of 13 home). I was in Florida for the launch with my dad, but he was in misson contol in Houston for the step off the LEM. Pretty exciting times back then...

RR

Old July 20th 19, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

There were lots of people associated with Draper Flight facility (they wrote the software for the Apollo 11 navigation system) who were also involved with MIT Soaring Association in the 60s. Most eminent was Doc Draper himself who oversaw the Draper lab and was a founder of MITSA.
ROY
Old July 21st 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Telegram from Neil Armstrong to the 1969 US Soaring Nationals: "Please convey my best wishes to all my friends at Marfa. Good lift and good fortune to all the competitors. I wish I could join you. There is only one thing I would rather be doing; fortunately, I am. Best Wishes"