A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wanted O2 bottle

Old July 18th 19, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Wanted O2 bottle

Thanks to Tim and Stu8 for the link and advice. I ordered a cylinder from Cramer Decker Medical as a spare for my glider. I will give a report when it arrives.

Old July 18th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

Default Wanted O2 bottle

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 7:45:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
...Wrong!

.... Wow, you sure schooled me on penny pinching.
Old July 18th 19, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Wanted O2 bottle

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 5:20:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
http://www.cramerdeckermedical.com/c...?category_id=2

I bought a tank from Cramer Decker for my PIK 20D in 2017. The valve supplied does not match the fine fit and finish of the Mt. High units, but still workable. However, the brand-new tank that I received had only two years left before the tank needed hydro tested earlier this year.
Old July 18th 19, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

Default Wanted O2 bottle

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 7:45:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Wrong!

Medical cylinders, even though they are standard sizes, are invariably more expensive due to the influence of the legions of lawyers feeding off the health care system. (Rant off)

To expand on my earlier reply:

That may have been true back in the day, but for a variety of reasons medical cylinders have become very common, and consequently relatively inexpensive. Supply and demand and all that. I pretty regularly get such cylinders at yard sales for like $10 each, and they often come with electronic regulators similar in function to EDS. Sure, the medical posts and valves are an issue. But even with a valve change and hydro testing I come out way ahead of aircraft supply rates.

The usual problem is that the most common CGA540 valves are NPT pipe thread, while medical cylinders usually have a straight thread neck with a recess for an O-ring. But straight-thread CGA540 valves are available on the internet if you shop around. Make sure that the valve comes with an O-ring, or at least get the special O-ring from the supplier. The ones I've seen are some special white elastomer, and you probably shouldn't use a standard rubber or buna-n O-ring.

When you buy a medical cylinder without a valve, or with a valve change at the distributor, the cylinder will probably arrive empty--that is, filled with ambient air of unknown humidity. To make sure the cylinder is completely dry inside I will usually evacuate it with my vacuum pump and then do an initial fill from my welding oxygen bottle.

--Bob K.
Old July 19th 19, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Wanted O2 bottle

A partial fill to about 200 psi and then a purge to about 50 psi and then a fill to what you want (1,800-2,000 psi) generally takes care of any moisture. If there are particulates in the cylinder, well, that is another problem. It is best to remedy this by getting an actual test and fill at a qualified facility.

And, as an aside to Bob Kuykendall, be careful of the medical design pulse demand delivery systems. They are NOT compensated for altitude. That is where the MH EDS system has the advantage. You require more O2 at 17,999 feet than at sea level, and the (patented) MH EDS is calibrated for that differential. Most of the Continental US is under 5,000 msl (with the vast majority of elevations under 1,500 ft. msl). This is the range for which most medical pulse demand systems are designed.

Depending on a standard medical O2 conserving system may lead you into a dangerous situation while flying at high altitudes. I recommend keeping a reliable pulse oximeter in the cockpit and check your O2 saturation regularly at high altitude.

I logged 142 hours of soaring time last year. I was on 02 for 132 of those hours. It is essential to know your system and its capabilities, as well as your own, while flying at high altitude with a supplemental oxygen system.
Old July 19th 19, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
external usenet poster

Default Wanted O2 bottle

Mark,

If you ordered a cylinder from Cramer Decker with the low profile straight valve and guage, you may want to contact them. Last I knew the low profile guage wasnt available after I waited over six months for them to arrive. Otherwise, its the same bottle and valve you helped me cha ge the O-ring on last month when we visited Moriarty.
Old July 19th 19, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Minors
external usenet poster

Default Wanted O2 bottle

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 3:58:01 PM UTC-6, Geoff Minors wrote:
Wanted O2 Cylinder about 22" long total X 5" Diameter.

Thanks for all the information.
I have just ordered a Cylinder and low profile CGA540 with gauge from Cramer.