Becker AR4201 transmit volume low

Old July 18th 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Becker AR4201 transmit volume low

I just installed a Becker AR4201 that I picked up used from the UK (frequency spacing change from 25 to 8.33). I have it paired with a Peiker TM 170 I got from W&W based on their compatibility statements on the website. It will transmit voice, but it is extremely soft/quite and the receiver needs to have the volume all the way up to hear it. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? I did a search but didn't come up with any answers. Thanks.
Old July 18th 19, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is there a match between mic type and how it’s wires? Dynamic vs Electret?
Old July 18th 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 10:38:56 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Is there a match between mic type and how it’s wires? Dynamic vs Electret?

From W&W website:

"This microphone WILL WORK with:

• Becker
• Walter Dittel

This microphone WILL NOT WORK with (use TM168):

• Flightline
• Microair
• Trig
• XCOM

- See more at: https://wingsandwheels.com/avionics-instruments/radios-transceiver/microphones/peiker-microphone/tm170.html#sthash.Vw92UtR5.dpuf"
Old July 18th 19, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 9:03:59 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
I just installed a Becker AR4201 that I picked up used from the UK (frequency spacing change from 25 to 8.33). I have it paired with a Peiker TM 170 I got from W&W based on their compatibility statements on the website. It will transmit voice, but it is extremely soft/quite and the receiver needs to have the volume all the way up to hear it. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? I did a search but didn't come up with any answers. Thanks.

Try adjusting the mic sensitivity setting SF16 using service mode. See pages 3-11 and 3-16 of this manual (Thanks, Cumulus Soaring!)

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/beck...201-Manual.pdf

--Bob K.
Old July 18th 19, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On page 2-6 you will notice that pin 5 and pin 18 are for different types of mics....
Old July 18th 19, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 12:57:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On page 2-6 you will notice that pin 5 and pin 18 are for different types of mics....

I replaced a microair 760 with a Euro AR4201 this spring. I used the same boom mic, and pin 18 works for it (electret). I expect hooking a TM170 to pin 5 (dynamic mic) might fix your problem.
Old July 18th 19, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 11:47:39 AM UTC-6, Dan Daly wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 12:57:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On page 2-6 you will notice that pin 5 and pin 18 are for different types of mics....

I replaced a microair 760 with a Euro AR4201 this spring. I used the same boom mic, and pin 18 works for it (electret). I expect hooking a TM170 to pin 5 (dynamic mic) might fix your problem.

I used the wiring harness that W&W makes for this radio, so whichever pin that goes to is what I used. I'll look at the diagram again, but I can't say for sure what pin the actual mic wire comes from. Thanks.
Old July 18th 19, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 10:54:10 AM UTC-6, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 9:03:59 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
I just installed a Becker AR4201 that I picked up used from the UK (frequency spacing change from 25 to 8.33). I have it paired with a Peiker TM 170 I got from W&W based on their compatibility statements on the website. It will transmit voice, but it is extremely soft/quite and the receiver needs to have the volume all the way up to hear it. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? I did a search but didn't come up with any answers. Thanks.

Try adjusting the mic sensitivity setting SF16 using service mode. See pages 3-11 and 3-16 of this manual (Thanks, Cumulus Soaring!)

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/beck...201-Manual.pdf

--Bob K.

Thanks Bob. This looks really promising. I'll give it a try this evening.
Old July 19th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

I tried adjusting the mic sensitivity in service mode all the way up to 63, but it didn’t seem to make any difference. I have the wiring harness from Wings and Wheels. How would I go about switching pin 5 with pin 18?
Old July 19th 19, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:45:19 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
I tried adjusting the mic sensitivity in service mode all the way up to 63, but it didn’t seem to make any difference. I have the wiring harness from Wings and Wheels. How would I go about switching pin 5 with pin 18?

The mic wire on my W&W AR4201 harness was on pin 18. If you want to move it to pin 5, unsolder it from 18, move it to 5, and solder it.

Pin-outs are in the manual.

Becker AR4201 John Williams Soaring 3 August 12th 17 03:09 PM
Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 06:22 PM
Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 05:11 PM
BECKER AR4201 guts Soaring 1 April 23rd 12 08:50 PM
VHF Becker AR4201 Philippe Home Built 2 July 9th 04 08:30 PM