A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fanny packs for baleout

Old July 21st 19, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Fanny packs for baleout

I've started carrying my Inreach in a fanny pack. They are cheap, and if rotated so the pack lies between parachute straps, offer a comfortable way to keep safety equipment attached in the event of a baleout.

Old July 21st 19, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 11:21:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I've started carrying my Inreach in a fanny pack. They are cheap, and if rotated so the pack lies between parachute straps, offer a comfortable way to keep safety equipment attached in the event of a baleout.

Be aware there are several ways to put on a fanny pack that can interfere with parachute deployment. Best thing is one of those pouches designed and built by a rigger(even if you have to buy one from the 20 year lifescam guy.)
Old July 21st 19, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:27:50 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 11:21:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Be aware there are several ways to put on a fanny pack that can interfere with parachute deployment. Best thing is one of those pouches designed and built by a rigger(even if you have to buy one from the 20 year lifescam guy.)

Our local rigger has added hard points to a few parachutes, and built pouches specifically for your tracker that keeps it secure, in a good place to see the sky, and will not interfere with parachute deployment.
It can be made much smaller than the pack from the "after 20 years cut the suspension lines" guy, so you won't notice the tracker on your shoulder.
Doing the mod at repack time seems easiest.
Jim
Old July 21st 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

A fanny pack on the front of your torso may not be the best bet, I will agree (never had to bail...) it is better than comm's hitting the ground with the fuselage....
Sorta depends on size of comm's.
Likely way better solution.
Trying to never test any solution out.....
Whatever you chose, hope you never have to test it out.
If you do test it, hope it works well....