A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Brave Sir Robin

Old June 3rd 13, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

On Monday, June 3, 2013 11:49:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
While this first post is pretty mean-spirited, I have been shocked that no one has been talking about this. A very widely known glider pilot crashes at the top of a mountain and walks away is very big news indeed. Why the radio silence? With his posting on soaring cafe I don't believe it is too soon to start talking about it now...he lived!!! I am thrilled to hear Frank is ok. When I heard from a friend down at the event about it right after it happened and then knowing that Frank was still up on the mountain - I actually got a little emotional thinking a fellow pilot was possibly in harm's way. There is a lot to be learned by this incident and look forward to getting more info to hopefully help the rest of us be safer flying around rocks.. Glad you are ok Frank. Bruno - B4

I kind of disagree a bit with my friend Bruno. First, there is no time sensitive information here, other than the curiousity factor. Second, it is extremely unlikely that there will be ANY new lessons learned.
Part of the healing process is to talk about what happened, but definitely not in a public forum environment. Hopefully Frank will get to sit down with a friend or 2 and talk it out so he can get on with the healing.
Let's leave him alone. When he's ready to tell his story, I have no doubt he will do so in a good manner.
I've been in his shoes once and been the listener more timesthan I want to count, so I think I know of what I speak.
Patience Folks
UH

Old June 3rd 13, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

On Monday, June 3, 2013 2:36:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:

While this first post is pretty mean-spirited, I have been shocked that no one has been talking about this. A very widely known glider pilot crashes at the top of a mountain and walks away is very big news indeed. Why the radio silence? With his posting on soaring cafe I don't believe it is too soon to start talking about it now...he lived!!! I am thrilled to hear Frank is ok. When I heard from a friend down at the event about it right after it happened and then knowing that Frank was still up on the mountain - I actually got a little emotional thinking a fellow pilot was possibly in harm's way. There is a lot to be learned by this incident and look forward to getting more info to hopefully help the rest of us be safer flying around rocks. Glad you are ok Frank. Bruno - B4

I kind of disagree a bit with my friend Bruno. First, there is no time sensitive information here, other than the curiousity factor. Second, it is extremely unlikely that there will be ANY new lessons learned.

Part of the healing process is to talk about what happened, but definitely not in a public forum environment. Hopefully Frank will get to sit down with a friend or 2 and talk it out so he can get on with the healing.

Let's leave him alone. When he's ready to tell his story, I have no doubt he will do so in a good manner.

I've been in his shoes once and been the listener more timesthan I want to count, so I think I know of what I speak.

Patience Folks

UH

UH good advice. I hope Frank is home and has some quiet time to relax. I don't think Bruno's post was so much about needing to discuss the accident now as it was about the 24 hours that many of us waited to hear if Frank was OK. Soaring is a real time sport and many of us saw the help call on SPOT and saw the location and it raised concern in most of us about his safety. We watched RAS for the next 24 hours for an update on his condition.

I wish Frank the best and hope he will come out west and do duel or team flying with some mountain experts to help the healing process. He is always welcome to come fly with me in Utah when he is ready to flying western mountains again.

TT

Old June 3rd 13, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

On Monday, June 3, 2013 2:36:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:

While this first post is pretty mean-spirited, I have been shocked that no one has been talking about this. A very widely known glider pilot crashes at the top of a mountain and walks away is very big news indeed. Why the radio silence? With his posting on soaring cafe I don't believe it is too soon to start talking about it now...he lived!!! I am thrilled to hear Frank is ok. When I heard from a friend down at the event about it right after it happened and then knowing that Frank was still up on the mountain - I actually got a little emotional thinking a fellow pilot was possibly in harm's way. There is a lot to be learned by this incident and look forward to getting more info to hopefully help the rest of us be safer flying around rocks. Glad you are ok Frank. Bruno - B4

Patience Folks

UH

UH good advice. I hope Frank is home and has some quiet time to relax. I don't think Bruno's post was so much about needing to discuss the accident now as it was about the 24 hours that many of us waited to hear if Frank was OK. Soaring is a real time sport and many of us saw the help call on SPOT and saw the location and it raised concerns about his safety. We watched RAS for the next 24 hours for an update on his condition.

I wish Frank the best and hope he will come out west and do duel or team flying with some mountain experts to help the healing process. He is always welcome to come fly with me in Utah when he is ready to try western mountains again.

TT
Old June 3rd 13, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

Patience Folks

UH

I completely agree with you actually on this one Hank. What you read in my post is my emotions on my sleeve at the moment. We are all so close friends and acquaintances in our rather small group of active soaring pilots that when one of them hits a mountain it is hard not to REALLY care and want to know more. We care about each other. Patience is a good now that we know Frank is ok.

John, you were right on once again with your thoughts. Thanks.

Bruno - B4
Old June 5th 13, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

First post? Unacceptable. Absolutely unacceptable.

Wow. Sitting here with a top Jr pilot who informed me of this thread. Yes a 19 year old read this and disgusted by it. I seriously thought he was kidding. I have never seen something so blatantly disrespectful. Who wrote this post?

This is shameful. To make fun of a near fatal accident... WTF.
Old June 5th 13, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

On Jun 4, 4:55*pm, "Sean F (F2)" wrote:
First post? *Unacceptable. *Absolutely unacceptable.

Wow. *Sitting here with a top Jr pilot who informed me of this thread. *Yes a 19 year old read this and disgusted by it. *I seriously thought he was kidding. *I have never seen something so blatantly disrespectful. *Who wrote this post?

This is shameful. *To make fun of a near fatal accident... *WTF.

Maybe the 19 year old never heard of Monty Python. Did he understand
that all but the last 2 verses is a direct quote from a classic (for
Python fans) film script?

Andy
Old June 5th 13, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
and
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

Y'all need to lighten up. Here are some processing pointers. http://blueskiesmag.com/2013/05/17/d...sport-of-life/
Old June 5th 13, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

I don't care if he was quoting Mr Rogers. No excuse for that personal attack on a fellow pilot who just had a major accident that easily could have cost him his life. Or any accident of any severity for that matter.

Congrats on your effort to defend this.
Old June 5th 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:59:17 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
On Jun 4, 4:55*pm, "Sean F (F2)" wrote:

First post? *Unacceptable. *Absolutely unacceptable.

Wow. *Sitting here with a top Jr pilot who informed me of this thread.. *Yes a 19 year old read this and disgusted by it. *I seriously thought he was kidding. *I have never seen something so blatantly disrespectful.. *Who wrote this post?

This is shameful. *To make fun of a near fatal accident... *WTF.

Maybe the 19 year old never heard of Monty Python. Did he understand

that all but the last 2 verses is a direct quote from a classic (for

Python fans) film script?

Andy

Respectfully, a joke is only funny if both parties are laughing... This being the first mention of a near-fatal accident is insensitive...

Regards,
Daniel Sazhin
Old June 5th 13, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

Default Brave Sir Robin

On Jun 4, 7:17*pm, "Sean F (F2)" wrote:
I don't care if he was quoting Mr Rogers. *No excuse for that personal attack on a fellow pilot who just had a major accident that easily could have cost him his life. *Or any accident of any severity for that matter.

Congrats on your effort to defend this.

I made no effort to defend anything. I offered no opinion on the
appropriateness of the original post.

Andy